New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Have a gas CRV. Engine mount issues seem exclusive to the heavier diesels. The usual EPS problem also plagues the gas version though - common problem that's covered under warranty.

Ride is definitely better than the Terra. Performance is also good as long as you don't look for gut-wrenching acceleration. Very smooth engine and transmission for puttering around town under 3000 rpm. FC is about average for a 2.0L gas engine, I get around 7.5 km/L in moderate traffic and 14 km/L on the highway.

The price savings vs a similar-spec Terra will take about 3-5 years to recover. While I prefer the diesel CRV over the gas, I'd still get a gas CRV vs a Terra or Forester.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If I have to choice one now between the three, I guess I would pick the CRV. This is coming from a Forester owner. Hehehe

The new Forester looks a bit soft on the edges and it does not come with a turbo engine option.

Question - is the crossover the car you really need? Is there a specific requirement that can only be addressed by a crossover? Have you considered a wagon or a midsize sedan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    From my test drives:

The CRV is a pair of well-worn loafers: soft and comfy.

Subies are like Merrell sandals: rugged and grippy.

Mazdas are like running shoes: they absorb impact and encourage the user to go further.

Never ako nangarap ng PPV.

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    From my test drives:

The CRV is a pair of well-worn loafers: soft and comfy.

Subies are like Merrell sandals: rugged and grippy.

Mazdas are like running shoes: they absorb impact and encourage the user to go further.

Never ako nangarap ng PPV.

I will let you test drive my FXT if you let me try your Mazda. Turbo Subies like to be pushed to its limits and they sure do deliver.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I will let you test drive my FXT if you let me try your Mazda. Turbo Subies like to be pushed to its limits and they sure do deliver.

1.5 NA lang Mazda ko bai but it loves redlines. Kahit birit mo sya under speed limit ka pa rin. Our 2.0 NA boxer is a lot faster but sounds rougher.

Kay archer ka humiram haha

Last edited by JohnM; February 6th, 2020 at 10:23 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    *Egan101 "I guess the ladies would veer more on the CRV." So far it seems true, but a couple of my male colleagues prefer it as well. Thanks as well for your insights regarding the Forester. I prefer the higher ride height of the SUV/CUV over the sedan and station wagon.

*jut703 "While I prefer the diesel CRV over the gas, I'd still get a gas CRV vs a Terra or Forester."
    Leaning towards the crv, logically it's more practical for my case. It's just that everytime I see the terra makes me want to buy it instead.

*JohnM. Mazda also seems a promising choice. It looks premium on the exterior and interior. Seems reliable enough. But my wife had a bad experience with Mazdas before.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Bagel View Post
    *Egan101 "I guess the ladies would veer more on the CRV." So far it seems true, but a couple of my male colleagues prefer it as well. Thanks as well for your insights regarding the Forester. I prefer the higher ride height of the SUV/CUV over the sedan and station wagon.

*jut703 "While I prefer the diesel CRV over the gas, I'd still get a gas CRV vs a Terra or Forester."
    Leaning towards the crv, logically it's more practical for my case. It's just that everytime I see the terra makes me want to buy it instead.

*JohnM. Mazda also seems a promising choice. It looks premium on the exterior and interior. Seems reliable enough. But my wife had a bad experience with Mazdas before.
    Better to buy a car you're happy with than a car which just ticks the right boxes but doesn't bring joy to you.

Now if you like the Terra more while your wife prefers the CRV, then just weigh whose happiness matters more.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    May 2016
    It's hard to recommend a PPV if you don't need 3 rows. Top heavy, very prone to rollovers. Drives like a truck. No matter what they do, it won't ride or drive even close to a crossover.

I was in your position a few years ago, Forester XT, CR-V, CX-5. CX-5 won out in the end. It just drives so much better than the others. The 2.5 AWD is available for close to your budget, fuel consumption is acceptable, could average 8-8.5km/l city with a light foot. Worth a look imo.

Speaking from experience, Mazda has exceptional after sales especially Mazda Makati. Drivetrain is solid, 2012 model owners in our club have reported minimal issues with their vehicle even after 8 years.
    Mazda nowadays are pure Japanese, no involvement from Ford whatsoever, so expect Japanese quality.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I have both a diesel CR-V (1.6V) and a Terra (4x2 VL).

Pros for the CR-V
    ride quality on road (specially corrugated surfaces)
    better handling
    fuel economy (but gas version will drink more fuel no doubt)
    better L and R rear seats
    lighter steering
    more upscale interior

Pros for the Terra
    better front seats
    brakes a lot better
    more power gives more confidence on the highway
    a lot more cargo space
    ride quality offroad (much more suspension travel)
    cheaper PMS

If you don't need the extra space, or go offroad I'd get the CR-V. A lot easier to use given the smaller, Metro Manila friendlier dimensions. You may want to consider the diesel version as it has more torque and for me a better match for the body vs the 2.0L gas engine.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; February 7th, 2020 at 01:36 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    you know the saying " Happy wife Happy Life"

it seems the Honda CRV will be your choice.
    You might not be 100% as happy as your wife at least you won't get nagged and complained upon if you picked the Terra.
    Try to get some add on to the CRV to make it more masculine. The Mugen or modulo kit for the CRV is quite nice. A good looking 18" aftermarket rim will also make it appear more rugged.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast