New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    I am currently planning to purchase an SUV/CUV with price range 1.6-1.9M. I previously drove a Montero 2009 which has seen better days. We are a family of 3, and my son is still a toddler. But I will be using the car mostly without any passenger via city driving and once a week highway driving. I am not a car expert and my level of car maintenance expertise is close to nil, so reliability is also an important factor in my decision making. Any input is highly appreciated. Feel free to correct me of any misinformation I may give...aethetics is subjective though. Help me cause wife is getting impatient with my slow decision making... Sorry for the lengthy post.

I prefer the exterior of the Terra among all the three. Ride comfort is great but the CUVs has better ride comfort in my test drive. Ride height is great and the aircon is topnotch, which is great for our tropical climate and the sweaty person in me. When this car came out I really wanted this car solely for looks and the road presence. But the interior is a bit uninspiring for my taste especially the dash board and the gear lever. The 360 camera view is great for the tight spaces as well but among the three this is the most expensive.

I prefer the ride comfort and interior of the CRV. Since I will be driving mostly alone, the good ride comfort is heaven-sent (however the car available for test drive was 2018). The feel of the steering wheel and the over all look of the dash and the smart storage spaces in the cabin is great. I prefer the gas variant eventhough the diesel is the favorite among the consumers. I just prefer the large cabin space of the gas variant and the gear shift lever instead of the buttons. The diesel may have the better fuel consumption, but my wife prefers the quiet engine of the gas as well (maybe she is looking forward to get this from me later on). The gas variant may be the cheapest among the three choices but maybe this can be offset by the gas prices and higher fuel consumption. Among the exterior, this is the one I least preferred, not that it looks bad. Pressing issues I read are the engine mount noise problem. The oil dilution is it a problem for our CRV variants here.

I prefer the safety features of the Subaru Forester and the looks as well. The passive and active features really is appealing especially to us breadwinners. Ride comfort is great but I feel the CRV is a bit better. The exterior exudes a certain vibe that I really like. The interior looks premium but can be intimidating due to the plethora of buttons. Maybe this will pass in time and by studying the manual. Issues I read was the head gasket problem and the issues of recall internationally due to engine failure of the 2.5 liter boxer engine (though what we have is the 2.0 liter here). I am also concerned with maintenance since the service center nearest is around 45mins away. I am also not familiar with the reliability of the boxer engine and cvt engine of Subaru.

So help me. My time is nearly up. Thanks!

And if asking if why Montero is not included among my choices...my wife abhors the new look of the Montero. For me, the rear has improved but I prefer the front of the 2019 model.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Convince mo nalang wifey mo mag terra and to accept diesel engines hehe.

Mag crv nalang ako if gasoline. Although gas din ang subaru, CVT ata yung transmission nyan which is a turn off for me.

Bakit walang fortuner na gas sa options mo? May gasoline engine ang fortuner yung 2.7. That if you want road presence and the quietness of a gasoline engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by suysuy View Post

Mag crv nalang ako if gasoline. Although gas din ang subaru, CVT ata yung transmission nyan which is a turn off for me.

The CRV gas model also comes with a CVT tranny like the Forester. However, the Subaru CVT is tuned for AWD applications.

Honda uses CVT among its popular gas-fed models like the City, Jazz, Civic, Mobilio, BRV, HRV, and CRV. Even the Accord 1.5 Turbo uses a CVT tranny. Only the CRV diesel uses a different tranny - 9speed AT.

*Speedy Bagel - Have you considered a diesel-powered CUV? The Tucson CRDI, Sportage CRDI, and Sorento CRDI are also within your budget.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 6th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The CRV gas model also comes with a CVT tranny like the Forester. However, the Subaru CVT is tuned for AWD applications.

Honda uses CVT among its popular gas-fed models like the City, Jazz, Civic, Mobilio, BRV, HRV, and CRV. Even the Accord 1.5 Turbo uses a CVT tranny. Only the CRV diesel uses a different tranny - 9speed AT.

*Speedy Bagel - Have you considered a diesel-powered CUV? The Tucson CRDI, Sportage CRDI, and Sorento CRDI are also within your budget.
    I see. Cvt din pala. Last cvt vehicle i owned was the honda city 2006 model. Kaya siguro may stigma pa sakin ang cvt.

I agree baka possible mag consider si TS ng CUV ng hyundai and kia. Our sorento and sta fe are very quiet diesels. The only diesel thats quieter is our peugeot 3008.

Asian sourced 3008 is actually within the TSs budget.

3008 Gas 1.89m
    3008 Diesel 2m

Last edited by suysuy; February 6th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I see. Cvt din pala. Last cvt vehicle i owned was the honda city 2006 model. Kaya siguro may stigma pa sakin ang cvt.

I agree baka possible mag consider si TS ng CUV ng hyundai and kia. Our sorento and sta fe are very quiet diesels. The only diesel thats quieter is our peugeot 3008.

Asian sourced 3008 is actually within the TSs budget.

3008 Gas 1.89m
    3008 Diesel 2m

But Peugeot [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Convince mo nalang wifey mo mag terra and to accept diesel engines hehe.

Bakit walang fortuner na gas sa options mo? May gasoline engine ang fortuner yung 2.7. That if you want road presence and the quietness of a gasoline engine

Actually yung wife ko medyo biased. Ung crv gas yung gusto. Fortuner looks great, maybe I will visit the nearest dealership discreetly. Hehe.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post

Not much a fan of the looks of the sportage. The Tucson however seems another great option. Might have to check some reviews first.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *Speedy Bagel - I don't have neither the CRV gas 2.0L nor the new Forester but I have the previous gen Forester (2013-2018, SJ platform) in XT trim. I have no issues with it during my nearly 4 years of ownership.

I guess the ladies would veer more on the CRV with its curvy shape and softer looks. Guys would like more the Forester with its boxy and tool-like approach. Both are very good CUVs and are always on the top list of buyers. Another option would be the CX5 but its interior space is not within the league of the CRV or Forester but it drives better, more closely to a compact car.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If your wife wants the CRV, then that is your decision already. For me, it's either Terra or CRV. We have bad experience with Subaru lately regarding repairs so I may stay clear of Subaru for the meantime.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Bagel View Post
    Actually yung wife ko medyo biased. Ung crv gas yung gusto. Fortuner looks great, maybe I will visit the nearest dealership discreetly. Hehe.
    Fort will need a suspension upgrade but it's not expensive and plenty of options..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast