New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    guys, pls help me choose which one is a smart buy.
    the new patrol safari is too expensive.

use is for both long distance (probinsya) drive and personal service in manila.
    tnx..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well... if long distance drive mas ok ang patrol since it's a diesel.

plus the presence of a patrol is still more intimidating than a fortuner.

though be warned that the patrol is a bigger vehicle and its front visibility is a bit compromised as compared to the lower fortuner.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tried both.

PATROL (at least for me).

For an '03 model, it's not hard to find units with just around 40k on the ODO. Since these vehicles are part of a high-end, multi-car household, expect units to be slightly used and well taken care off. Of course there are still some rotten tomatoes in the pack. There's also the panache of getting a 'flagship' SUV as opposed to the entry-level-truck-based SUV that Toyota is positioning the Fortuner as.

There was a Patrol unit in Ayala Heights, good condition lots of extras but the gold color looked too 'bling' for me. Low mileage, 4x2, but this was an '02 model if I recall right.

On the highway, the Patrol eats the road like it just got out of a hunger strike. Better watch the speedo because 140kph on this thing still feels slow.

And yes, the intimidation factor is a bonus especially with those pesky bus drivers.

You do have to get used to the size. The hood of the Patrol alone is as big as some home's dinner tables already.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    mazda2, otep
    TNX ALOT FOR THE REPLY. m still here sa US. i intend to buy my personal service when i get back this july. i am more inclined sa patrol. can i PM you both? perhaps you have some contacts/knowledge re slightly used patrols.

more comments pls.. i will appreciate it.

maraming salamat po..

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Aviator I was just in the Philippines about a month ago and here's my personal experience with both vehicles granted it was just for a short time:

04 Patrol- if your used to driving large sized SUVs like the Nissan Armada, Toyota LandCruiser, Ford Expedition and so forth then you won't be intimidated by the Patrol's size (I actually think the Patrol is slotted between the Nissan Pathfinder and Nissan Armada in terms of size)...I was impressed with the amount of torque this thing has, horsepower a little low for my liking though (my 05 Frontier has 265hp and 284 ft lb<385Nm> of torque)...Its interior I thought was nice lots of leather and wood.

06 Fortuner-this is a mid-size SUV like the Toyota 4runners, Nissan Pathfinders, Ford Explorer...very underpowered and no kind of torque whatsoever...Interior was bland, beige and bland.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    joeversoza, tnx for the reply.

i had the chance to drive an armada here too and i found it easy to drive considering its huge size. one of my concern actually is maintenace for the patrol (diesel & older model) while fortuner will be brandnew and gas. But as otep and mazada2 mentioned, patrol is better based on my intended use.

for me both vehicles are good but your comment will help me a lot to make a better choice.

salamat uli joeversoza.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Are you going back for good? or will it also be use by relatives when your away? Because if so by the latter, I would recommend the Toyota because of the warranty, you don't want to have a vehicle break down while your away and burden your relatives with trying to fix it. However I believe you're going to need to have the title of ownership under a relatives name in order to have warranty work done if needed... My aunt resides here in the US who just bought a new Nissan Serena put it under my dads name just in case of repairs to be made under warranty...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    sir joeversoza

i am based in phils talaga. i am here on company OB (1 year lang). i will be here every now and then but perhaps not this long anymore. so for my vehicle maintenance, i guess i can personally handle it. for patrol, i am actually going for at least model '05 cguro and up para hindo gaano used. of course fortuner will be brand new so still considered sya as an option.

i have read several related threads here so somehow i have an idea na. but pls keep it coming..

maraming salamat po..

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've driven both and I find the fort vvti sluggish. Im more inclined to the patrol for the engine and torque.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually, the Fort's VVTi engine is not that bad at all once you get to the mid to high RPMs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
nissan patrol '03-'06 vs fortuner (gas)