New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hello,

Im just new to this site. Just want to ask advise which is the best buy,
    Isuzu Crosswind or Starex.

We currently have a vios and we are planning to replace it with a family car.

Thanks in advance...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My sister has a 2004 Crosswind and I have a 2006 CRDI Starex.

If you ask me to choose, I'd take the Starex in a heartbeat.

Of course, it would be best if you look over and test drive both with your family to see which one better fills your particular needs.

Reasons for choosing the Starex: more comfortable ride; less engine noise; all forward facing seats (the middle row can actually be rotated 180 degrees); more responsive engine (although this is an unfair comparison since my sister's ride is an automatic while mine is M/T). Ang isang ayaw ko sa Starex ay isa lang ang sliding door nya.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    My father own a crosswind sportivo. And one thing I admire is it's fuel efficiency. In my experience when I drove it from Cavite to Pampanga (vice versa), I got 17 km/l with full load with no traffic!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    it depends on your needs,since you have a sedan if you choose crosswind cgurado maninibago ka sa engine noise, newer model is bouncy,acceleration is not bad but way below from your sedan especially when overtaking...if you choose starex, opposite of those.

build quality and fuel efficiency lamang ang crosswind...

performance and comfort lamang ang starex...

its a choice of quality vs performance....

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    i'll go for the starex. i havw onw foe 6 yrs already and it's still working very well. aircons very good, it's spaceous, comfortable and powerfull for a diesel van. the starex is a van and not an auv. for me the crosswind is priced too high, it's still an auv. engine is noisy and it's not a comfortable ride. i wouls suggest a starex which has a better crdi engine now or maybe wait for the starex tq coming soon.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Also, with regard to quality versus performance, I would say that the Koreans are making a determined effort to continuously improve the reliability and durability of their products. They know that this is a necessary element for being successful in the global market.

I have a 2002 Kia Sedona, a vehicle that was designed by Kia for the highly competitive US minivan market, and the build quality on this unit shows. After nearly 5 years and 160,000 kilometers traveled, it still serves my family well.

Now if only the Koreans would do something about those blasted tires of theirs.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I'd for Starex. We have 2 company service vehicles and so far okay naman ang performance. At isa pa, it's roomier.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Starex has much better interior materials and build quality than the Crosswind (though it's not perfect, there's some squeaking in the trim).

The Starex has much more comfortable interior accomodations. It can seat seven (2-2-3) comfortably, and 9-10 (3-3-4) if you pack them in (the jump seat beside the driver and the middle seat of the second row are kinda hard). Headrests in the second and third row are kind of low, but the semi-buckets are very comfortable. The ride is a bit floaty over wavy roads, but it's very stable over sharp ruts and bumps.

The Crosswind is more utilitarian. It can seat ten people with side-facing third row benches, but only seven with the forward-facing third row. Space is pathetic compared to the Starex, and the ride is quite bumpy and uncontrolled.

The Starex has better brakes (four wheel disc, to boot). Body control and handling are just average, but the Crosswind's body control is very poor, and the steering is very detached. The Crosswind is almost unbearably slow with an AT (it's okay in the city, but it's almost impossible to overtake trucks on crowded highways), and just slow with an MT. The Starex AT has a bit of lag, but it's very fast, and feels almost like a gasoline V6 at low speeds.

The Crosswind is more fuel efficient due to the lower weight, but my Dad claims that his CRDi Starex doesn't give him any headaches in terms of fuel consumption. It may not be Crosswind level efficient, but it's probably much better than Starexes of old.

The Crosswind's OHV non-CRDi engine has little that can go wrong with it. No timing belts or chains to replace, no fancy injectors to clog. It'll get you to 200k plus kilometers if you treat it right. THe Starex's engine is based on the hardy Mitsubishi 4D56, which require a little more maintenance. Long-term reliability of the injectors in Philippine conditions is an unknown. But there are no reported problems with the engine so far.

Both vehicles are turbo engined, which means you should be extra careful with periodic maintenance.

Good luck with the buy.
    Last edited by niky; May 13th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Thank you guys for all the advise. Since our family is getting bigger and I already owned an Isuzu Higlander before, I think it's better to choose comfort driving this time. Baka medyo manibago kasi since we are using Vios if I will buy Isuzu and the cost is I think di nagkakalayo.

Baka nman anybody knows how mush is the selling price ng vios.

The details are as follows:

Model: 2004 Toyota Vios 1.3E
    34,000 Km palang po natatakbo kasi panay nasa bahay lang.

Anyways, thanks again to all. Just to return the favor, baka may kukumustahin kayo dito sa dubai let me know, I will extend your regards.

We are planning to buy our new family car this coming Xmas.

Thanks again

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    2004 1.3? Not sure, as my classified tables are at my home in Laguna (staying out for the weekend) but probably between 350 - 450k. Small cars like that hold value well, especially if they're the small-engined version. You shouldn't have trouble selling as long as your asking price is reasonable and the car is in good condition.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Needs advise regarding crosswind or Starex