New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mazda's model releases since the Ford split up have actually been very good. They've made the CX5 roomier and lighter than the CX7. The Mazda6 is smaller and lighter than the old car, but is still roomy. The new SkyActiv G engines are terrific. The D engines are also great, but Mazda is probably holding back introducing them in other markets while it works on the oil dilution issues (due to the DPF system, diesel gets into the oil).

This is opposed to previous years, where Mazda had to share the heavy chassis architecture (with poor interior space) that Ford and Volvo used, and was stuck with MZR-Duratec engines. The 2.5 was, finally, a good motor, but the older 2.0 in the Tribute was not very good, and the 2.0 MZR-Duratec in the Focus/Mazda3 was not that powerful, and was saddled with so-so 4AT transmissions. The 1.6 MZR-Duratec was woefully matched to the car, and was lacking both in power and economy.

The Mazda2, the last model co-developed, was the point I think at which Mazda started to overcome the limitations of the shared architecture. It is a lot lighter than the Fiesta, and it has its own engines. I can't wait for the new 2 that Mazda will share with Toyota... Toyota wants a good small car... who do they call? Mazda!

The new Mazda is leaner, meaner and greener. I think splitting up with Ford was good for the brand. Ford's development money got them through some tough times, but co-developing models was not always good for building their own brand identity.
    Last edited by niky; October 1st, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Santa Fe. drives and handles like a sedan

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Maybe you would have been happier if you got a Mitsubishi ASX? You have that Lancer look and performance with the ride and clearance of a SUV. Pot holes are no problem as you just drive over them. Flooded streets are still manageable as long as it's not too deep.
    nah, I love my Lancer. Its just not suited as a DD for me with the places I go or have to go through.

ASX is also another good choice for the OP, but for me its a love it or hate it thing and I hate it. Everytime I'm in the casa for service iniikot ko yung showroom, di ko talaga ma-tripan yung ASX.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito_ View Post
    jnkvn and niky: I guess I'll throw the question back to you guys. If you were in my shoes and had these options given my needs; what would be your choice? SUV vs Sedan vs Coupe, and which specific model?

Thanks again!
    Hmm... it's quite hard to quantify sports-car feel. In fact, just driving around in an Accord 3.5L V6 gives me the grins once all six cylinders are awake on the open road. I have a personal standard when it comes to driving and I would say my daily suspension taste is balanced-stiff. Even as an owner of a Sonata, I still miss Mazda's zoom-zoom philosophy as times (ex. track days) but I'm always thankful for the balanced ride it gives whenever I drive through EDSA.

You see, I'm a enthusiast tuner by heart. This is why I'm sensitive to the attached price a car entails.. every thousand of peso saved means another peso for modifications to suit my liking. As you didn't like the Kia Optima, I'll refer you to its sibling. I might be biased seeing that I actually own one, but I'll be throwing another recommendation to you in the form of a Hyundai Sonata. Even with Mazda's YOUJIN promo that entails free maintenance for 3 years, the price difference is still over Php100,000 post-discounts and a hundred grand is a lot. That'll be a set of wheels to set you apart from the pedestrian crowd for around 50K and you still have another 50K for a couple of HyvE VIP bar nights.

It's no coupe and it isn't fun to drive as a Mazda6, but it is a practical choice. The trunk can fit your S&R groceries without much trouble, it's still a looker, and the backseat is actually livable once you start doing would-be son-in-law duties of fetching your girl's family. If you're gunning for Toyota 86 levels of fun, then I'll still highly recommend the Mazda6. But if your daily drive consists of pedestrian traffic 90% of the time, I'd say I'll go practical for now.. and simply delegate the next car to be a weekend fun car. A proper one at that... like a refurbished Honda S2000.

P.S. I'm riding on a 20"/245 wheels on an Eibach 1" lowered (at front) Sonata. I can't lower the back since suspension travel is short as it is thanks to the weight in my trunk. The ride's just right for my taste... but I'll personally say that a Honda Accord still offers better overall steering response.

The problem with Mazda6 is that the midsize sedan category isn't what we call for sporty owners. If you're a BMW owner, you'll spring up to the 3-series for the handling and not for the more bulky 5-series and that's the point. The Mazda6 isn't what we call roomy whereas the Honda Accord is already EPA classified as a large car. Handling is great.. but is the 1.7M price tag even worth it for just better interior quality materials compared to let's say.. a Civic?

My best tip? Drive them. All of your choices. You'll eventually know what you want. In fact, I won't be surprised if you ended up with a CRDi Sta. Fe.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; October 1st, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    I think 1.5 - 1.8M for a new car is a good budget. Since this will probably be a daily owner-driven car, you may like something fun yet practical at the same time.

If sedan, I would avoid models that are either in the mid or end of their life cycles so my choices are...
    1. Mazda 6 -> It is loaded with a lot of tech, drives nicely, and definitely the best value in it's class at the moment.
    2. Toyota Camry -> Still the safest choice brand-wise but also unexciting one

If SUV, my choices are...
    1. Mazda CX-5 AWD - It's the SUV equivalent of the 6 as it has all the 6 attributes at a reasonable price (with discounts and Youjin plan, it will be under 1.6M)
    2. Subaru Forester XT -> It's like the CX-5 but with more speed and slightly less tech. If I have only one car, I might go for the XT even if it will cost me over 1.8M

Of course there are "more" practical SUV's like Fortuner, Montero Sport, etc but they are quite bare and look dated.

The Toyota 86 or coupes are nice but they are good only as a 2nd or even a 3rd car. Just opening the long front doors in tight spaces and driving on steep ramps can be a chore. Plus it will just a matter of time before you scrape your bumper or rim.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    but is the 1.7M price tag even worth it for just better interior quality materials compared to let's say.. a Civic?
    Hey... maybe if it's the JDM Civic, it's close to the 6. The Thai Civic... nah.

Truly, though, the Accord still has that little bit extra in terms of interior quality versus the Mazda6... but the 6 is better than most. And the Accord's steering has always been awesome. Only problem is our local Accord gets a soft set-up and pretty so-so tires... which is a waste of its potential talents.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    fortuner, para hindi magsisi

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Iba pa din yung arrive ng Mazda 6 for me so I'll have to go with it. Yung mga managers kasi dito sa office namin madalas naka SUV or Camry. Pero yung isang manager na naka Mazda 6 iba talaga yung datingan. Parang cool na cool ka..

+1 sa Mazda 6

Pero Sta. Fe is also a good option. :D

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    What I like about the Santa Fe is the way the power is delivered. Wherein a 2.4L midsize would deliver power smoothly and in a very linear and balanced manner, the CRDi's acceleration is simply brutal, to the point that you would be doing burnouts without meaning to. There is boost right from the get go, which makes driving this feel like a driving a much bigger displacement V6, especially in city driving.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    the CRDi's acceleration is simply brutal, to the point that you would be doing burnouts without meaning to.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Talaga?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast