New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    First time poster here and just wanted to get some new car advise. I'm in my early 30s and looking into a new car purchase. I have a base budget of 1.5M, but willing to add more if necessary (+350K), so maybe up to 1.85M. Not a first time owner but this is the first time that I'm making a big purchase (I know that's relative but anything more than a million on a car I already consider big). Have generally scrimped on vehicle purchases, but I think now is a good time to just enjoy the hard work over the years and just go for it.

My main considerations are:

- Comfort: Comfort in terms of ride and features. Decent noise levels. Smooth ride. Good quality of life features, etc. Will definitely have to be A/T.

- Class/Elegance/Style: Of course, this is probably a tad more secondary especially since I'm not really looking to go beyond the budget; and the moment class is mentioned, BMWs or MB's get mentioned which isn't exactly my cup of tea. I don't really want to spend more than 2M on a vehicle; but willing to spend a decent amount and don't want an entry-level sedan -- so might as well max it out a little and have a bit of an "impact".

I'm single, so no family. This is going to be a daily driven car to the office, which is roughly a 45min to 1 hour drive from home. Not entirely too concerned over fuel efficiency or mileage. Maintenance is probably a concern, but secondary in the grand scheme of things. I'm not really looking at modifications or any after-market changes after this. I want something great out of the box. Main purpose is really for the daily commute. I'm not much of a weekend tripper or camper, so it will mostly be city driving; except for the standard vacations like a drive to Baguio once or twice a year.

I haven't exactly drilled down my choices but ideas are:

A) Accord or Camry - Good "executive" vehicle, which I guess is appropriate. Comfort is there as well as the quality of life features -- so this seems to be the more obvious choice. Leaning towards an Accord more but only a bit over the Camry -- the Accord has a more youthful snap to it I guess. The Mazda6 is there as well and I honestly prefer it's sportier look but I'm not entirely sold on the brand and it's value. Not opting for a driver, so this will be personally driven. Will actually appreciate more discussion on this if at all.

B) SUV - Thinking along the lines of a Fortuner or a Trailblazer, but leaning towards a Fortuner. My family actually owns one, which I've also driven extensively, so this is a bit more of a comfort zone as far as the purchase is concerned. Not generally a Diesel fan though because of the noise, so will likely be a Gas version if at all. SUV is a safe bet I guess, as it still has good "presence" and spacious. But I have absolutely no real practical use for the space since I'm mostly "solo". Not considering a CUV either, as to me it's a bit too in the middle; so either it's an SUV or a luxury sedan.

C) Toyota 86 - This is more of a "want" than a "need" and probably more akin to fulfilling or better yet, succumbing to an early mid-life crisis choice. I'm hesitant on it being an apt "daily driver" -- but, a part of me of course is getting drawn by the fluff. It generally counters all my main considerations but I'm openly welcoming any form of egging to push me over the edge to just go for it! Likely to go for the non-Aero version but still get the skirts and kits sans the huge spoiler. Yes, it's the absolute "impractical" choice!

Looking forward to some advise! Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito_ View Post
    First time poster here and just wanted to get some new car advise. I'm in my early 30s and looking into a new car purchase. I have a base budget of 1.5M, but willing to add more if necessary (+350K), so maybe up to 1.85M. Not a first time owner but this is the first time that I'm making a big purchase (I know that's relative but anything more than a million on a car I already consider big). Have generally scrimped on vehicle purchases, but I think now is a good time to just enjoy the hard work over the years and just go for it.

My main considerations are:

- Comfort: Comfort in terms of ride and features. Decent noise levels. Smooth ride. Good quality of life features, etc. Will definitely have to be A/T.

- Class/Elegance/Style: Of course, this is probably a tad more secondary especially since I'm not really looking to go beyond the budget; and the moment class is mentioned, BMWs or MB's get mentioned which isn't exactly my cup of tea. I don't really want to spend more than 2M on a vehicle; but willing to spend a decent amount and don't want an entry-level sedan -- so might as well max it out a little and have a bit of an "impact".

I'm single, so no family. This is going to be a daily driven car to the office, which is roughly a 45min to 1 hour drive from home. Not entirely too concerned over fuel efficiency or mileage. Maintenance is probably a concern, but secondary in the grand scheme of things. I'm not really looking at modifications or any after-market changes after this. I want something great out of the box. Main purpose is really for the daily commute. I'm not much of a weekend tripper or camper, so it will mostly be city driving; except for the standard vacations like a drive to Baguio once or twice a year.

I haven't exactly drilled down my choices but ideas are:

A) Accord or Camry - Good "executive" vehicle, which I guess is appropriate. Comfort is there as well as the quality of life features -- so this seems to be the more obvious choice. Leaning towards an Accord more but only a bit over the Camry -- the Accord has a more youthful snap to it I guess. The Mazda6 is there as well and I honestly prefer it's sportier look but I'm not entirely sold on the brand and it's value. Not opting for a driver, so this will be personally driven. Will actually appreciate more discussion on this if at all.

B) SUV - Thinking along the lines of a Fortuner or a Trailblazer, but leaning towards a Fortuner. My family actually owns one, which I've also driven extensively, so this is a bit more of a comfort zone as far as the purchase is concerned. Not generally a Diesel fan though because of the noise, so will likely be a Gas version if at all. SUV is a safe bet I guess, as it still has good "presence" and spacious. But I have absolutely no real practical use for the space since I'm mostly "solo". Not considering a CUV either, as to me it's a bit too in the middle; so either it's an SUV or a luxury sedan.

C) Toyota 86 - This is more of a "want" than a "need" and probably more akin to fulfilling or better yet, succumbing to an early mid-life crisis choice. I'm hesitant on it being an apt "daily driver" -- but, a part of me of course is getting drawn by the fluff. It generally counters all my main considerations but I'm openly welcoming any form of egging to push me over the edge to just go for it! Likely to go for the non-Aero version but still get the skirts and kits sans the huge spoiler. Yes, it's the absolute "impractical" choice!

Looking forward to some advise! Thanks!
    I'd say the Santa Fe would suit you. It's definitely one of the most comfortable SUVs around, with midsize sedan-like ride quality and handling. The new styling definitely stands out, and would definitely exude refinement. There is very little clatter to be heard from the diesel engine, unlike with it's noisier Japanese (and pseudo-American) counterparts. You get excellent performance with more than decent fuel efficiency, with much potential for more if you're into mods. There is also the extra ground clearance for the Metro's bad roads and flash floods.

Can't get any more well-rounded than that.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Kia Optima? ehehe!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Still single at 30s, I'd say go for hyundai genesis or toyota 86.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hindi daw practical si T86, so Kia Optima nalang.

That is one beautiful car...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Kia Sorento

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Getting an SUV is the safer and more practical choice IMO. Any of the 7 seater SUVs will serve you well, but my top vote goes for the Santa Fe.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    at that price range i'll buy a santa fe.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    subaru forester turbo!!!!! ay ayaw mo pala CUV. fortuner na lang na 2.5L diesel na VNT

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    86 if and only if youre gonna make track racing as a hobby. Its not worth buying anything that would just turn heads. The novelty will wear off eventually.

If i had that much money id either get a mazda 6 or a rav 4. More on the rav 4. Another impractical yet beautiful car.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast