New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Mazda 3 or you can wait for the 2016 Honda Civic.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    if price is not a problem, go for the top of the line mazda 3.
    if you are looking for value for money, go for the nissan sylphy.
    I got the sylphy after shopping, studying/researching and test driving all the similar class compact cars. I went for value for money, overall best buy for money forked out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

if price is not a problem, go for the top of the line mazda 3.
    if you are looking for value for money, go for the nissan sylphy.
    I got the sylphy after shopping, studying/researching and test driving all the similar class compact cars. I went for value for money, overall best buy for money forked out.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
    Wouldn't advise going for the focus since you'd be one of the first batches opting in, but if you're okay with that then it should be fine.I'd rather wait for a few months (at least 4) though before buying. The Altis and Mazda 3 would be 'safer' bets for a new car. CMIIW, but I think the Cruze is not as fuel efficient. Sylphy owners here seem to be happy with their rides, but wait for them to chime in with their ownership experience.
    The 1.5L Ecoboost engine is the one being used in current generation Ford Fusion in the US and Ford Mondeo in Australia. It is an improved version of the older 1.6L Ecoboost being used in the current Escape. I am not sure why Ford did not opt for the more potent 1.6L Ecoboost ST engine (200PS) but 180PS is already at par with current 2.4L-2.5L NA engines being used in midsize cars and compact crossovers. The new Escape will also be using the same 1.5L Ecoboost engine. Most Ford vehicles worldwide now use a version of the Ecoboost engine, ranging from their smallest 1.0L engine up to the biggest 3.5L V6 engine.

The new Civic 1.5L Turbo VTEC (CVT tranny) is rated a bit lower in output compared to the Focus 1.5L Ecoboost but its chassis is lighter. However, we are not sure yet how much HondaPH will price it locally. It will be good if they match the local pricing of the Focus Ecoboost.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Thanks po sa lahat ng advice!

Honestly po first choice ko talaga ung mazda3 then 2nd lng ung civic. Tsaka d pa maxadong subok ung Civic 2016 (kc nga bago) if yan ang choice ko.

Anyways anung year po ba ung latest model ng mazda3? wala kasing nakalagay d2 sa site nila - Vehicle Pricing | Mazda Philippines

Me tanung pa pala ako, if mas ok ba ung hatchback or ung normal one? (sorry po tlga sa mga tanung hirap mag decide basta 1st car).
    Tsaka san po kaya mkakalaki ng discount, from Davao po pala ako. Or just contact someone in Manila and pay the shipping fee?

Thanks po again!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks po sa lahat ng advice!

Honestly po first choice ko talaga ung mazda3 then 2nd lng ung civic. Tsaka d pa maxadong subok ung Civic 2016 (kc nga bago) if yan ang choice ko.

Anyways anung year po ba ung latest model ng mazda3? wala kasing nakalagay d2 sa site nila - http://www.mazda.ph/vehicle-pricing/

Me tanung pa pala ako, if mas ok ba ung hatchback or ung normal one? (sorry po tlga sa mga tanung hirap mag decide basta 1st car).
    Tsaka san po kaya mkakalaki ng discount, from Davao po pala ako. Or just contact someone in Manila and pay the shipping fee?

Thanks po again!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cracklings1017 View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    First priority ko po:
    1. Fuel Efficiency and Safety
    2. Style (para attractive sa girls )
    3. Handling
    attractive sa girls? top of the line Civic

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ Wala ba dealership yung Mazda sa Davao? Kung mayrun, you can order thru them. Yung Mazda3 SkyActiv was released in 2014.

To be on the safe side, it is best to have local dealership support. So, check out your local dealers and inquire on a model that you're interested with.

Di rin pala advisable yung mabilis na kotse kasi strict yung speed limits sa Davao at wala rin long highways like NLEX yung surrounding areas. In most cases, you will be driving the car at 30-60 kmh only. There might be long road stretches up north towards Tagum but it will be hard to have a car cruise past 100kmh for an extended period. It is also the same thing going to Digos or up the mountain roads towards Buda. Unless of course, wala na speed enforcement in such areas. However, since they are not closed highway systems, a wayward carabao might be trolling along the highway or kids running around or slow moving tricycles will cause a big accident for reckless speeding motorists.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 24th, 2015 at 01:04 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Sinohin View Post
    Really? I think the current Civic FB, even the TOTL 2.0L model, is more bland compared to the older yet more sporty Civic FD.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 24th, 2015 at 01:08 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    IF by first car you mean, you'll keep this car for quite long, get the Sylphy (Sentra B17) but wait a bit if Nissan will bring in the Sylphy 1.6 Turbo (190hp). Same engine used in Juke but tuned at 225hp. NIssan PMS and parts are dirt cheap so if you'll keep the car for quite some time, your pocket will have an easy time. This looks too formal for a youngster though (are you in college or high school?). 1,8L engine is rated at 131hp but believe you me, this car is fast.

There's also the Turbo Civic but not sure how much power. Driving a Honda is a dream. Handling is superb especially in curved roads. power is usually at the high RPMs but fuel consumption is acceptable. Honda parts are expensive though. My friend (an old european priest and long time Nissan B14 Sentra owner) was shocked when he had his honda civic sent for repairs. He swore never to have a Honda again. LOL. I can't blame him since he's a priest (they don't own anything, even money). so every cent is very important. But for the average Jose, I guess honda part's prices are ok. Personally, I'm also waiting for this.

Mazda3 is beautiful. It's like a rolling sculpture. But the Mazda6 is better proportioned, IMO. Skyactiv is nice but beware of the electronics. 1.5L seems to be the sweet spot. Horn is funny. If you've got sense of humor, don't change it. It catches attention without being irritating. Mazda might slap a turbo to that 1.5L though so also watch out.

Ford is ok but Fiesta and Focus AT gearboxes have a lot of complaints. If Topgear UK and Fifth Gear UK are to be believed, even Focus' handing can rival that of BMW 3 series which is an RWD car. Parts are probably expensive. Haven't owned a ford yet but looking to have an Expedition.

Toyota Altis is the best choice if you like to sell every 3 years. It keeps its value quite well.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Sinohin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Really? I think the current Civic FB, even the TOTL 2.0L model, is more bland compared to the older yet more sporty Civic FD.
    Although subjective naman talaga ang looks at di naman tayo girls to confirm this, I agree with Egan that the FD looks a lot better than the FB.

In my opinion as of the moment, no contest that the Mazda 3 is the best looking compact below 1.3M with slight bias on the sedan version.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    There's also the Turbo Civic but not sure how much power. Driving a Honda is a dream. Handling is superb especially in curved roads. power is usually at the high RPMs but fuel consumption is acceptable. Honda parts are expensive though. My friend (an old european priest and long time Nissan B14 Sentra owner) was shocked when he had his honda civic sent for repairs. He swore never to have a Honda again. LOL. I can't blame him since he's a priest (they don't own anything, even money). so every cent is very important. But for the average Jose, I guess honda part's prices are ok. Personally, I'm also waiting for this.
    The new 1.5L turbo VTEC is rated at around 174hp at 6000rpm with a torque rating of around 230Nm from 1600 to 5000 rpm. That's more than enough power for a compact car plus you get max torque already just before the tachometer reaches 2000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Ford is ok but Fiesta and Focus AT gearboxes have a lot of complaints. If Topgear UK and Fifth Gear UK are to be believed, even Focus' handing can rival that of BMW 3 series which is an RWD car. Parts are probably expensive. Haven't owned a ford yet but looking to have an Expedition.
    The new Focus will be using a 6-speed conventional AT tranny, similar to the new Escape Ecoboost and Explorer Ecoboost. The tranny with complaints is the dry-type dual-clutch tranny (DCT) being used in small cars with engine torque ratings of 200Nm or less. The 1.5L Ecoboost produces 240Nm of torque from 1500-4500rpm so the dry-type DCT will not cope with the amount of torque produced. I drive a Fiesta Ecoboost and the DCT seems to be a good match for the small but potent 1.0L Ecoboost engine. The new Focus with a more potent engine will surely offer a better drive than the already capable Fiesta Ecoboost.

Quote Originally Posted by dos2 View Post
    Although subjective naman talaga ang looks at di naman tayo girls to confirm this, I agree with Egan that the FD looks a lot better than the FB.

In my opinion as of the moment, no contest that the Mazda 3 is the best looking compact below 1.3M with slight bias on the sedan version.
    Agree. The new Mazda SkyActiv cars with its Kodo design are just pretty, specially if they come in Soul Red color.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 24th, 2015 at 01:25 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast