New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I am planning to buy my first car within the next two months. I will be using it to and from the office (QC- Makati) on weekdays and for out of town trips on weekends. I want something economical and easy to maintain and reliable, of course. A car that will serve its purpose of transporting me and my family in a comfortable way. No plans of modifications, except for a good set of wheel and tires, and an excellent in car entertainment.

My choices are Honda Jazz, Honda City, Toyta Vios, Mitsubishi Lancer(old model).

Budget is around 700k, or, 200k for dp and around 20k for MA, for 36 months.

I am counting on your inputs, suggestions on which to buy.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by McKenkoy; October 26th, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo error

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    IMHO, remove the old lancer from your list. For me, you can short list to the Jazz, City or Vios. Any of this 3 is a good decision.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenkoy View Post
    I am planning to buy my first car within the next two months. I will be using it to and from the office (QC- Makati) on weekdays and for out of town trips on weekends. I want something economical and easy to maintain and reliable, of course. A car that will serve its purpose of transporting me and my family in a comfortable way. No plans of modifications, except for a good set of wheel and tires, and an excellent in car entertainment.

My choices are Honda Jazz, Honda City, Toyta Vios, Mitsubishi Lancer(old model).
    Assuming you are refering to the older Jazz...

Either the Honda Jazz or City would probably be your choice. If you don't need to maximize the cargo space, the Honda Jazz 1.3L iDSI A/T-CVT is the better choice. It will carry four to five people in comfort with moderate amount of cargo in the boot. The default headunit is a CD player so you might want to have it upgraded to a MP3/CD player unit.

Handling and ride quality are good. If you are buying a A/T-CVT, be aware that some units have had their transmissions serviced because of clutch pack prematurely wearing out especially if the driver is aggressive in his driving style. A gentle driving style seems to preserve the A/T tranny in other units. Manual tranny versions don't have this problem.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenkoy View Post

Budget is around 700k, or, 200k for dp and around 20k for MA, for 36 months.

I am counting on your inputs, suggestions on which to buy.

Thanks in advance

since you will be using it with your family and frequent regular city drives, i would recommend and go for the Honda City.

lots of trunk space, interior space, frugal fuel consumption and higher resale value.

second choice would be the vios, but the problem there is the lack of interior space if compared to the city.

the lancer, is eats a lot of fuel if compared with the above choices.

the jazz, i think is better if you are alone or for single or couples use. kung may mga kasama ng anak + some bit of groceries, medyo maliit sya.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    An economical reliable daily drive for about 700T...best bet is a subcompact sedan. AT most likely because you are in MM.

Honda City or Toyota Vios ,its your choice really but this can help:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11407

You may also consider the Kia Rio, its a good alternative.
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49981

Need bigger space, the Avanza 1.3 J is within range.

The Lancer that you mention is already in another category being a compact sedan. Its 1.6L engine is more powerful but with it comes more fuel consumption. But it's one of the cheapest compared to the base models of the Altis and Civics.

I don't know if you're warm to a 1.3 AT Toyota Vios. Judging by sales, a lot of people could not be wrong.

On car entertainment, just get an aftermarket DVD system with LCD headrest monitors.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    We are a family of 5 and our first car was a Honda Jazz. The decision was based on the very good reviews here and abroad (best selling in Japan for example, one of the best in fuel efficiency in the US), the foldable seats and the efficiency of the Honda salespeople (answers e-mail and txt).

It's perfect for the daily commute to the office and the weekend out of town trips. The interior space of the jazz will surprise you given how small it looks from the outside. The cargo space at the back can accomodate 4 sets of diving gear and the seats could be folded down to accomodate my mountain bike whenever it needs to be rapaired. I seldom use the CD player, as my ipod is connected to the car speakers for loooong road trips. Get a Jazz! You'll love it!

I documented all the steps (bank loan, insurance, alarm, matting, etc!) we took to the first car so if you have questions, I'd be willing to help!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    pa post nga po kung ano ano nakuha mo po sa bagong jazzz mo po at pic narin :D

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    An economical reliable daily drive for about 700T...best bet is a subcompact sedan. AT most likely because you are in MM.

Honda City or Toyota Vios ,its your choice really but this can help:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11407

You may also consider the Kia Rio, its a good alternative.
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49981

Need bigger space, the Avanza 1.3 J is within range.

The Lancer that you mention is already in another category being a compact sedan. Its 1.6L engine is more powerful but with it comes more fuel consumption. But it's one of the cheapest compared to the base models of the Altis and Civics.

I don't know if you're warm to a 1.3 AT Toyota Vios. Judging by sales, a lot of people could not be wrong.

On car entertainment, just get an aftermarket DVD system with LCD headrest monitors.
    The Avanza J is with in budget. You can consider it. It has less creature comforts but a lot of space compared to the Jazz, City or Vios. I got the Avanza J for the space and relatively good FC. Original choice was the Vios E.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    My vote goes to vios.

pros:

reliable
    economical
    easy to maintain

next would be Jazz/city. ma***pensive imo to maintain in the long run.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    any of those except for the lancer. kung looks, i'll go for the jazz. hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
My First Car