New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Guys, I have computed na mas matipid pa pala kumuha ng MT Gasoline SUV vs AT Diesel SUV.

comparing my two cars now MT CRV at 7km/liter city vs, AT Sta Fe at 8km/liter on pure city pumatak na halos pareho Lang inuubos ko sa full tank at avg of 69 liters or over P3000 vs 49 liters or over P2500 Or just P500 diff.. I live in a condo and I travel pure city. Both SUV are used alternately everyday 6 days a week and I refill every 2 months for the two.

Weird noh? Considering my CRV is every 5K ang PMS or 6 months vs my SF every 5k PMS evey 6 months na din, given synthetic oil each. Pero the SF consumes more engine oil do therefore my PMS is now averaging at 8k PMS vs my CRV 5k PMS. On the same six month period.

and then now I'm reading horrible stories about old diesels with turbo malfunctioning to the tune of a 100k and also diesel injectors to the tune of almost 20% of the value of the car.

----

Eto nman computation ko if for example Im to acquire Bare Sorento MT gas at 1.09M vs Sorento diesel AT at 1.230. So diff of P140k sa srp.

Sorento AT gas is averaging at 5-6km/liter all coty accdg to 2 tsikoteers who owns this car. So siguro it's safe to assume that the Sorento MT Gas will average at 7km/liter or just an improvement of 1km/liter all city.

And since Sorento CRDi and my SF CRDi 2.2 AT are sisters, I can assume that probably the Bare Sorento MT diesel will be at 9km/liter or just 1 km better than my SF at 8km/liter.

Eh tapos yan pala mga Crdi ngaun mapa-Kia, Hyundai, Montero, Fortuner eh forced ang 3 month PMs for regular diesel oil or 6 months for synthethic diesel oil. Add to that the high level of technical engineering or mechanics needed to service a CRdi engine, add to that sa Palaki ng Palaki na gastusin hbang tumatanda ang Crdi like the injectors and the turbo examples above, and of course the premium price difference of CRDi over gas models, and Syempre pag mas malaki ang SRP mas malaki annual insurance as well as monthly interest if acquired on installment yan.

imagine the popular engines that we drive today are the new milking cows and expense trap of this decade.

Yun FC figures ko that's pure city pa so one can't argue that diesel will be more thrifty in long drives/expressways coz every car will be fuel efficient on highways. Our Ford Explorer AT 4x4 averages 3km/city bumper traffic vs 8-9km NLEX driving.

Yun laki difference sa SRP sa CRDi va gas, pang-gas ko na for the next 2-3 years or so if I'm to take for example my full tank diff of P500 Lang per month. Gawin na natin 1000 diff between using CRDi or gas, 1000x12x 3 yrs = P36,000. Still in 3 years I wouldn't spend that 140k diff sa SRP ng diesel sorento and gasoline sorento

Tpos ngaun pala low maintenance na mga gasoline 2.4 engines like the new CRV and even the Soul, Spirtage, Sorento gasoline at 7500km na ang PMS

Wow! Something to think about ladies.

-----

Although, those figures above are computed for me and wife as regular passengers. Pero Kung araw-araw 5-6 kyo pamilya nyo sa Fortuner / Montero / SF / Sorento nyo, disregard nyo na Lang eto sabi ko.

and also Alam ko Dami kuryente pag MT kase most of you live sedentary lifestyles , ako kse fit ako eh, I don't mind driving MT. Sa SF ko nga I alwaysuse sports mode even on bumper traffic parang Lang may nagagalaw akong body parts. AT is soooo boring and fattening

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Last edited by pop3corn; September 17th, 2012 at 04:01 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    How about comparing at gas vs at diesel. I can't buy mt. Thanks

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Saan ka na naman gumimik bro.pop3corn? Monday 2:30AM nagpo-post ka na?...

Matulog ka muna, ha?....

Kanya-kanyang hilig iyan, bro... So, whatever suits an individual...

16.8K:laundry:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I actually kind of almost agree. The economy of diesel SUVs is not quite as good with an AT. The Monteros and Forts get only 5kml with the AT in traffic. Even the vaunted Crosswind, which does 10 kml in any traffic, is limited to 8 kml with the AT. The question of savings, though, depends on the prevailing price of gas versus diesel.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    I agree with popcorn. Diesel engines are priced more most likely around 60-150k. mas mahal din ang PMS compared sa gas.

and yes, tulad ko na pure city driving lang (with very low odometer reading), hindi ko rin mababawi ang price difference + additional PMS cost in a short span of years.

anyway I don't own any SUVs, just an old gas AUV hehe. just agreed with the post and explanation above hehe.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    depende din yan sa owner... like me, i can do pms my self... for my adventure, ive done change oil and filters and brake adjustment and cleaning for only 2,200 petot using caltex delo gold, for the carens i can do the pms for only 4,500 pesos change all filters, brake cleaning and adjustment, egr cleaning and using synthetic oil motul crdi specific

injector early failure is mostly caused by water in fuel and poor quality.. assuming we have good fuel, i think these crdi injectors will last a long long time.. and due to more crdi engines now sooner the price of crdi injectors will become cheap

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cheap in this case, being 10-15k pesos each instead of 30-45?

-

Common rails really need more care and maintenance compared to gasoline cars and older diesels. More frequent oil changes, strict diet of synthetic oil, regular filter changes.

The cheapest to own, really, is an old-school diesel. Except those five or six times a year the ASBU tries to hail you down.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    depende din yan sa owner... like me, i can do pms my self... for my adventure, ive done change oil and filters and brake adjustment and cleaning for only 2,200 petot using caltex delo gold, for the carens i can do the pms for only 4,500 pesos change all filters, brake cleaning and adjustment, egr cleaning and using synthetic oil motul crdi specific

injector early failure is mostly caused by water in fuel and poor quality.. assuming we have good fuel, i think these crdi injectors will last a long long time.. and due to more crdi engines now sooner the price of crdi injectors will become cheap
    Is it possible to do the same DIY maintenance on modern diesel engine? There are lot of sensors and computer / electrical things in the new diesel engine nowadays. There is a big chance that DIY will cost you more later on if you accidentally do something bad on the sensors or computer set-up....

In the old 4d56 / 4ja1 / 4dr5 etc... old school diesel, I agree that it is easy to DIY your scheduled PMS...but I don't know about the new diesel engines. I've heard that even removing your battery is not a plug and play thing anymore hehehe I hope it still is though...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    International owners forums help. Sometimes, the reset when changing the battery is as simple as pushing a button for a long time while turning the key.

Sometimes it's as complicated as up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right, B-A-B-A-select-start.

-

Oil changes and tranny fluid changes, definitely doable at home if you have an oil-filter wrench. Most sensors are plug and play. The big issues will be the injectors, as some vehicles require you to separately program the injector code into the ECU. That's something that should be printed onto a chip on the injector and read automatically, IMHO. Wouldn't add much to the cost of an injector that already costs 30k pesos.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Speed View Post
    Is it possible to do the same DIY maintenance on modern diesel engine? There are lot of sensors and computer / electrical things in the new diesel engine nowadays. There is a big chance that DIY will cost you more later on if you accidentally do something bad on the sensors or computer set-up....

In the old 4d56 / 4ja1 / 4dr5 etc... old school diesel, I agree that it is easy to DIY your scheduled PMS...but I don't know about the new diesel engines. I've heard that even removing your battery is not a plug and play thing anymore hehehe I hope it still is though...
    of course basic maintenance like change oil for old school diesel and CRDI are almost the same.... you don't even need to remove the battery!!

my only problem from crdi engines is reaching the oil filter...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MT Gas SUV vs. AT Diesel SUV