Oct 2002
    montee din ako....

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    montero sport! old but reliable!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    If you're sold on gadgets then the Monty Sport might not be the one for you.

It's not a car, it's a truck. This is not a jacked-up car like other compact SUV's. Fully boxed frame, solid rear axle, underbody armor and all those things you though you never really needed. And it makes no excuses as to what it really is. Merely taking off its sidesteps gives you lots of ground clearance already.

And no use comparing it to cute utes because the Monty Sport is a 5-seat midsize (not compact) SUV.

All SUV's handle differently from standard cars. Even the Trooper and Samurai were declared unsafe and prone to rollovers. But even the ones with suspension lifts and big tires are not suddenly rolling over here.

I suggest you test drive both first.
    Thanks for ur suggestion. I'll ask the sales agents. I'm not sure if the new RAV4 is still considered a compact SUV because its bigger than the older RAV4 and it's dimensions isn't far from the Montero (except for ground clearance)
    RAV4 (L X W X H) = 4600 X 1855 X 1720
    MS = 4620 X 1775 X 1730

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    They may be the same dimension wise. But the two are constructed in an entirely different manner.

The RAV4 is built on a more car-like monocoque platform. The Montero Sport rides on a fully boxed truck frame with underbody armor for the front differential, transmission and fuel tank.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    imho lang po, yung new rav4 para sa akin hindi "bang for the buck" mas mahal pa sya sa pinakahigh-end variant ng toyota fortuner pero still mini-suv pa rin sya. for me, the newest and latest toyota rav4 is a poor man's bmw x3.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    If you're sold on gadgets then the Monty Sport might not be the one for you.

It's not a car, it's a truck. This is not a jacked-up car like other compact SUV's. Fully boxed frame, solid rear axle, underbody armor and all those things you though you never really needed. And it makes no excuses as to what it really is. Merely taking off its sidesteps gives you lots of ground clearance already.

And no use comparing it to cute utes because the Monty Sport is a 5-seat midsize (not compact) SUV.

All SUV's handle differently from standard cars. Even the Trooper and Samurai were declared unsafe and prone to rollovers. But even the ones with suspension lifts and big tires are not suddenly rolling over here.

I suggest you test drive both first.
    They may be the same dimension wise. But the two are constructed in an entirely different manner.

The RAV4 is built on a more car-like monocoque platform. The Montero Sport rides on a fully boxed truck frame with underbody armor for the front differential, transmission and fuel tank.
    yes, i agree. they're very different, with different advantages the only real objection we have for the MS is the "age." my wife isn't even too concerned about ease of driving coz its automatic anyway. i guess our greatest fear is that we buy the MS now and a few months later, a new MS will come out OR the MS will be phased out here in the Phils also.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even if the MS is phased out, it will still be a supported product since it shares parts with other more common Mitsubishis. Much the same way first generation RAV4's are still supported. Even a 1995 Vitara still has parts and service support. Expect the same for the MS.

The 'age' is actually it's advantage. Everything has been ironed out already at this point. No exploding D4d, no falling fuel tank (ala Civic) etc.

There is no planned sucessor to the Montero Sport at this time so there will not be a 'new' MS to make your MS the 'old' model. They might be using a different name if they do develop another SUV from the current Triton platform.

MS thread: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2949

Generous approach and departure angles:

Doing its thing:

Local units get simplified manual climate control but we have a fancier audio system. Marble finish dash identical to local units. Note also gauges for volts and oil pressure. Something sorely missing in most of today's so-called 'modern' cars (replaced by an idiot light):
    Last edited by OTEP; September 21st, 2006 at 03:02 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    The 'age' is actually it's advantage. Everything has been ironed out already at this point. No exploding D4d, no falling fuel tank (ala Civic) etc.
    This may be the biggest benefit you'll be getting from the Montero Sport.

Same thing with Mitsubishi's 4D56 engine. The design is pushing 20 years already, yet it's still very much in use today in L200s, L300s, and Adventure units. Since it's so prevalent, parts are readily available. And you can be assured that a lot of mechanics are already familiar with its workings, so repairs (if ever) are not a problem.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dengaroo View Post
    choosing between a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4X4 2.8 turbodiesel and a 2006 RAV4 4X2 2.4 gas (both automatic).
    since you're looking at the 2.4 gas Rav4, there'd be no D4D issue.

it drives like a car and sprints like a car so i don't think ur wife will have a hard time adjusting to driving it. my 2 cents.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Even if the MS is phased out, it will still be a supported product since it shares parts with other more common Mitsubishis. Much the same way first generation RAV4's are still supported. Even a 1995 Vitara still has parts and service support. Expect the same for the MS.

There is no planned sucessor to the Montero Sport at this time so there will not be a 'new' MS to make your MS the 'old' model. They might be using a different name if they do develop another SUV from the current Triton platform.

MS thread: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2949

Generous approach and departure angles:

Doing its thing:

Local units get simplified manual climate control but we have a fancier audio system. Marble finish dash identical to local units. Note also gauges for volts and oil pressure. Something sorely missing in most of today's so-called 'modern' cars (replaced by an idiot light):
    WOW! the pics are impressive!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Montero Sport or RAV4 4X2?