New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Between the two I would go for the Mazda 6. Better options, price, and looks good actually

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hahahaha. tankful of diesel on the legacy...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    Between the two I would go for the Mazda 6. Better options, price, and looks good actually

nung una nagagandahan talaga ako sa maz6, pero ngayon sawa na ako sa looks niya, dami kasi dito nyan. pero iba talaga reliablity ng subaru.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    If you guys seriously considering buying a legacy.. go to LGT.COM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mazda6, hands down... why?

The Legacy has less torque and an AWD system, which means:
    a. It'll be slower
    b. It'll drink more gas
    c. It'll cost more (much more, considering this is a Subaru) to maintain.

The added "safety" of AWD is kind of misleading.

An AWD car will behave like an FWD car 90% of the time. Push it too hard into a turn and it'll understeer. Trail-brake or turn too sharply, and it'll snap oversteer. Apply the gas and some opposite lock in either car after you start oversteering, and it'll pull the nose out straight. Of course, most people's instinct would be to bury their foot in the brakes, which doesn't really help. The safer car on the road isn't the one with AWD or FWD, it's the one with the better tires.

In other words, if you spin out, or go into speed-related understeer or start to fishtail out of control on the highway because of standing water, the AWD car will not magically stop spinning or brake faster. It's up to the driver to regain control, or, at least, not lose it in the first place.

The AWD's true advantage lies in the fact that you have more traction in slippery conditions, meaning you won't get stuck as easily in deep mud. It'll allow you to accelerate faster in gravel, but at the end of the straight, right before the turn, it'll act exactly the same as an FWD car... is it any wonder that JWRC cars are mostly FWD?

C'mon, hasn't anyone else here "rallied" their compact car in mud? I drive my 626 and my RS in mud when I go to the farm, and I can hold them sideways for minutes at a time (well, it feels like it) with just a whiff of opposite lock... while RWD vans, AUVs and pickups are squirming and writhing all over the place.

Mazdaspeed 6 versus Legacy GT, though? I'd have to flip a coin on that one...
    Last edited by niky; July 21st, 2006 at 06:56 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    Yeah nabasa ko din yan e... Nakakatakot nga pero baka lemon lang yung batch na yan... And its a special variant of the legacy... hindi mass production I think...

Siguro lets wait for another round of full model changes dahil as everyone knows... Toyota na may sizable ownership ng Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subies...

Kaya baka mas maganda quality ng mga Subies for the years to come!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Mazda6, hands down... why?

a. It'll be slower
    b. It'll drink more gas

The added "safety" of AWD is kind of misleading.

An AWD car will behave like an FWD car 90% of the time. Push it too hard into a turn and it'll understeer. Trail-brake or turn too sharply, and it'll snap oversteer. Apply the gas and some opposite lock in either car after you start oversteering, and it'll pull the nose out straight. Of course, most people's instinct would be to bury their foot in the brakes, which doesn't really help. The safer car on the road isn't the one with AWD or FWD, it's the one with the better tires.

In other words, if you spin out, or go into speed-related understeer or start to fishtail out of control on the highway because of standing water, the AWD car will not magically stop spinning or brake faster. It's up to the driver to regain control, or, at least, not lose it in the first place.

The AWD's true advantage lies in the fact that you have more traction in slippery conditions, meaning you won't get stuck as easily in deep mud. It'll allow you to accelerate faster in gravel, but at the end of the straight, right before the turn, it'll act exactly the same as an FWD car... is it any wonder that JWRC cars are mostly FWD?

C'mon, hasn't anyone else here "rallied" their compact car in mud? I drive my 626 and my RS in mud when I go to the farm, and I can hold them sideways for minutes at a time (well, it feels like it) with just a whiff of opposite lock... while RWD vans, AUVs and pickups are squirming and writhing all over the place.

Mazdaspeed 6 versus Legacy GT, though? I'd have to flip a coin on that one...
    TRUE, good tires does matter. Now consider putting good tires on both FWD and AWD. Been driving AWD cars now for like 7 years and there's no way im going back to r /fwd. I drive a loaner for a day ( 06 mada 6, v6 ) it was fun for a while, then came the twisty, it's like heaven and earth not to mention the scary part. Two years ago, i was driving like 65 mph( Late for work ) in a tight turn and this Honda prelude behind me,... , saw him hitting the divider instead, and i got that tight turn like walking in the park...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    a. It'll be slower
    b. It'll drink more gas
    The Legacy 2.0R specs indicate fuel consumption of:
    Urban - 13.9 L/100km or 7.19 km/L
    Extra-urban - 7.3 L/100km or 13.7 km/L
    Combined - 9.7 L/100km or 10.3 km/L

Anyone know what the official fuel consumption estimates are for the Mazda6 2.3L, if any? It is no where to be found on local Mazda website or on the Mazda6 brochure.

Is there no Philippine government law on new cars sold in Philippines to publish this spec?

Was suprised to find out that the Legacy does not have 60/40 folding rear seats (unlike Mazda6), only a small, virtually useless pass-through hole. Big minus for the Legacy in my book. After all, the whole idea of a car in this category is to try to serve as a cross between sport, sedan, station wagon, and SUV.

Why Subaru did not put folding rear seats on the Legacy is beyond me, but that effectively puts the Legacy out of the game for me.

Bad enough that the Mazda6 hatchback isn't available, but at least you can fold the Mazda6 seats down when you need to haul cargo.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by e2fee
    The Legacy 2.0R specs indicate fuel consumption of:
    Urban - 13.9 L/100km or 7.19 km/L
    Extra-urban - 7.3 L/100km or 13.7 km/L
    Combined - 9.7 L/100km or 10.3 km/L
    Sorry, wrong figures. Those are for Legacy 3.0R spec.B with automatic transmission. For Legacy 2.0R with AT, the figures in L/100km (km/L) [mi/gal] are:
    Urban - 11.7 (8.55) [20.1]
    Extra-urban - 6.7 (14.9) [35.0]
    Combined - 8.5 (11.8) [27.7]

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imprezawrxsti
    TRUE, good tires does matter. Now consider putting good tires on both FWD and AWD. Been driving AWD cars now for like 7 years and there's no way im going back to r /fwd. I drive a loaner for a day ( 06 mada 6, v6 ) it was fun for a while, then came the twisty, it's like heaven and earth not to mention the scary part. Two years ago, i was driving like 65 mph( Late for work ) in a tight turn and this Honda prelude behind me,... , saw him hitting the divider instead, and i got that tight turn like walking in the park...
    Well, considering you're coming from an STi, no duh. A Mazda 6 is a midsize vehicle, and can't hold as much lateral acceleration as a compact like an STi. And a Prelude on possibly old tires and the original suspension versus an STi on new and much stickier rubber? Errh....

Good tires on both FWD and AWD? Depends on the cars in question. My point was that the Mazda6 and Legacy are comparable in handling and safety, and since the difference in safety would come down to the tires, consider that the Mazda6 already comes on sticky Potenzas.

But if the question were Mazda6 (or any other midsize car) versus an Impreza (even just the "regular" 230 hp WRX they're selling), there's no question which I'd pick... Scooby all the way!
    Last edited by niky; July 23rd, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mazda6 2.3L or Subaru Legacy 2.0L