New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rygel View Post
    Link to the model on the PH website of VW please... I really can't find it
    The VW-PH is not yet updated but it shows on the main screen the teaser for the new Jetta (#ReturnofTheJetta) and Golf GTS wagon (#RocketWagon). TopGearPH and CarGuidePH has a feature article showing the pics of the new Jetta and Golf GTS wagon, as well as the pricing for the model lineup (starting from 1.1M to 1.4M). All Jetta and Golf variants will be powered by a 2.0L TDI (turbo diesel, 150hp, 340Nm) engine paired with 7-speed automatic dual-clutch (DSG) tranny.

It would be best just to go to VW-BGC to see the display units. Trust me, the VW cars look much better on the flesh. Our family has a 2016 Jetta 1.6L TDI DSG and a 2016 Civic RS 1.5L turbo. The new Civic feels cheap against it (body, interiors, features) with the exception of the turbo petrol engine.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/car-n...ef=home_feed_3

Volkswagen PHL Aims to Slay the Compact Car Competition with 217 Jetta, Golf GTS | ************ - Philippine Car News, Car Reviews, Car Features, Car Buyer's Guide and Car Prices.
    Last edited by Egan101; May 14th, 2017 at 11:05 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The VW-PH is not yet updated but it shows on the main screen the teaser for the new Jetta (#ReturnofTheJetta) and Golf GTS wagon (#RocketWagon). TopGearPH and CarGuidePH has a feature article showing the pics of the new Jetta and Golf GTS wagon, as well as the pricing for the model lineup (starting from 1.1M to 1.4M). All Jetta and Golf variants will be powered by a 2.0L TDI (turbo diesel, 150hp, 340Nm) engine paired with 7-speed automatic dual-clutch (DSG) tranny.

It would be best just to go to VW-BGC to see the display units. Trust me, the VW cars look much better on the flesh. Our family has a 2016 Jetta 1.6L TDI DSG and a 2016 Civic RS 1.5L turbo. The new Civic feels cheap against it (body, interiors, features) with the exception of the turbo petrol engine.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/car-n...ef=home_feed_3

Volkswagen PHL Aims to Slay the Compact Car Competition with 217 Jetta, Golf GTS | ************ - Philippine Car News, Car Reviews, Car Features, Car Buyer's Guide and Car Prices.
    This was my dilemma this month, features ng RS and jetta di nagkakalayo but the biggest turn ON for me is the look of the RS, power and smooth cvt tranny(important for my daily stop and go traffic grind which the dsg hates.)

Jetta design is okay but boring for me compared to RS. Plus since Honda will sell civic sedan again in Japan, surplus/bnew parts availability is not a problem compared sa VW. Parang if you go to banawe, kaliwat kanan parts ng Honda, engine, body panels, transmission, front cut shell, etc.
    ^^this will help resale value and ease of maintenance in long run...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    The Golf GTS Wagon truly is a beauty in the flesh. Checked them out at both BGC and Sheridan. The only thing I see going against it is the sunroof design. Where with Subarus and other brands, you have a solid piece of thick paperboard (?) to slide under the sunroof during the day, the Volkswagen only have a curtain type of material separating you from the sunlight. I think this will not be good for Philippine conditions, and some of their sales staff have already lost sales because of this particular feature.

Back to the topic of OP, I would go for the Civic as it is a "newer" body, and (I may be wrong here) is less underpowered than the Mazda. Also, I do not like the rear seating of the Mazda where the doors rise up and obstruct passenger view.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Honestly, no modern 1.5 can be considered truly underpowered, nowadays.

The Mazda3 1.5 is slower to 100 km/h than the 2.0, but it has a six speed gearbox with very short gear ratios. It's peppier around town than the Civic 1.8 or even the old Civic 2.0... it has a crawl-tastic first gear for those crazy Makati parking ramps and Baguio side streets... and since it's a torque converter matic, you won't be burning the clutch packs (as on a dual clutch or dry CVT) while hanging on a hill at a stoplight.

-

The Mazda3 is relatively light for its class, and the 1.5 is relatively torquey for a 1.5. No problems at all with power, except if you're trying to overtake at over 80 km/h going up Kennon road...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Honestly, no modern 1.5 can be considered truly underpowered, nowadays.

The Mazda3 1.5 is slower to 100 km/h than the 2.0, but it has a six speed gearbox with very short gear ratios. It's peppier around town than the Civic 1.8 or even the old Civic 2.0... it has a crawl-tastic first gear for those crazy Makati parking ramps and Baguio side streets... and since it's a torque converter matic, you won't be burning the clutch packs (as on a dual clutch or dry CVT) while hanging on a hill at a stoplight.

-

The Mazda3 is relatively light for its class, and the 1.5 is relatively torquey for a 1.5. No problems at all with power, except if you're trying to overtake at over 80 km/h going up Kennon road...
    When I drove the Mazda 3 1.5 on a mountain road, it felt a lot like a Jazz - so-so low-end, but loves to rev and needs to rev to generate good power. Agree on the short gearing from 1st to 3rd to make the most out of the limited power, though it only really comes alive after 4500 rpm. Not something I'd call torquey though - the R18 (in all iterations, FD, FB, and FC) feels peppier especially when loaded, as well as the Altis 1.6.

Definitely good enough for most drivers, but other cars in the same price range offer more power if that's your thing.

Is the Mazda 3 really lighter than the competition though? It comes in at 1,240 kg, same as the bigger Civic and just 25 kg lighter than the CVT Altis.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Careful Jut ... MarcYaptinchay will come back to haunt you ...

What's up with that guy? ... He forgot to take his meds? ...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Janemar View Post
    This was my dilemma this month, features ng RS and jetta di nagkakalayo but the biggest turn ON for me is the look of the RS, power and smooth cvt tranny(important for my daily stop and go traffic grind which the dsg hates.)

Jetta design is okay but boring for me compared to RS. Plus since Honda will sell civic sedan again in Japan, surplus/bnew parts availability is not a problem compared sa VW. Parang if you go to banawe, kaliwat kanan parts ng Honda, engine, body panels, transmission, front cut shell, etc.
    ^^this will help resale value and ease of maintenance in long run...

I visited VW BGC earlier. You're right, the Jetta exterior design is a bit boring and plain. But the interiors are really nice. I was impressed with the dashboard, the leather seats and the sunroof. Most of these are not included in the 1.8E Civic model. Gave me something to think about. I'm just not certain about VW's ability to provide good after-sales service though.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    I visited VW BGC earlier. You're right, the Jetta exterior design is a bit boring and plain. But the interiors are really nice. I was impressed with the dashboard, the leather seats and the sunroof. Most of these are not included in the 1.8E Civic model. Gave me something to think about. I'm just not certain about VW's ability to provide good after-sales service though.

You just need to check how Honda BGC or the rest of the Ayala-owned Honda dealerships provide their after-sales services. The local VW dealership is owned and operated by the Ayala automotive group together with Honda, Isuzu Genmotors, and KTM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The longer it takes for my agent to provide me with a unit, the more I end up thinking of other alternatives. Now, I'm thinking if it's worth also considering the Innova E.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

10. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    The longer it takes for my agent to provide me with a unit, the more I end up thinking of other alternatives. Now, I'm thinking if it's worth also considering the Innova E.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Or try checking the updated Volkswagen Jetta 2017

Not as flashy as the civic in terms of exterior design. But it's not ugly either, for me it looks classy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast