New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for a sedan and am torn between the Mazda3 1.5V Sedan and the Honda Civic 1.8E. I've tried to list down the pros (and cons) of both cars below:

Mazda3 1.5V Sedan
    - priced lower at P998K (as opposed to the Civic at P1.103M)
    - free maintenance for 3 years (or 60Tkms)
    - built-in GPS Navigation (opposed to Civic not having a GPS-ready head unit)
    - built-in backup sensors (opposed to Civic's dealer option)
    - leather trimmings on dashboard and center console
    - IMHO more refined dashboard and center console

Honda Civic 1.8E
    - bigger (wider and longer than Mazda3)
    - new model (as opposed to Mazda3 being roughly 2 years old already)
    - daytime running lights
    - smart key with remote engine and cooling system start

Which one would you guys pick? Please help! Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for a sedan and am torn between the Mazda3 1.5V Sedan and the Honda Civic 1.8E. I've tried to list down the pros (and cons) of both cars below:

Mazda3 1.5V Sedan
    - priced lower at P998K (as opposed to the Civic at P1.103M)
    - free maintenance for 3 years (or 60Tkms)
    - built-in GPS Navigation (opposed to Civic not having a GPS-ready head unit)
    - built-in backup sensors (opposed to Civic's dealer option)
    - leather trimmings on dashboard and center console
    - IMHO more refined dashboard and center console

Honda Civic 1.8E
    - bigger (wider and longer than Mazda3)
    - new model (as opposed to Mazda3 being roughly 2 years old already)
    - daytime running lights
    - smart key with remote engine and cooling system start

Which one would you guys pick? Please help! Thanks in advance!
    Personally, I'd choose the civic. But it still depends on you. I think there are other factors that you should consider.

Fuel consumption
    Interior space
    Your heart's desire
    Comfort vs sporty feel
    Car's appeal to your eyes

What is your priority in choosing a unit? If you're after cost savings, fuel consumption and sporty feel, then M3 is for you. If you're after bigger space, most comfort oriented and a newer look, then the civic is for you.

I suggest you test drive both. I'm sure you'll know the answer afterwards :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Go with the Civic 1.8L. It's a better package. If going for the Mazda3, go for the 2.0L model. Mazda's 1.5L engine is bringing driving wonders for the Mazda2 but it will make a boring drive for the bigger frame of the Mazda3.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by babybackrivs View Post
    Personally, I'd choose the civic. But it still depends on you. I think there are other factors that you should consider.

Fuel consumption
    Interior space
    Your heart's desire
    Comfort vs sporty feel
    Car's appeal to your eyes

What is your priority in choosing a unit? If you're after cost savings, fuel consumption and sporty feel, then M3 is for you. If you're after bigger space, most comfort oriented and a newer look, then the civic is for you.

I suggest you test drive both. I'm sure you'll know the answer afterwards :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much for your inputs. I guess my priority would be a roomy interior (since we're a family of four with my parents occasionally travelling with us), newer look and overall comfort. I'll try to schedule a test drive for both soon.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Go with the Civic 1.8L. It's a better package. If going for the Mazda3, go for the 2.0L model. Mazda's 1.5L engine is bringing driving wonders for the Mazda2 but it will make a boring drive for the bigger frame of the Mazda3.
    Thanks for this! On a related note, whats the fuel efficiency of both vehicles?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for this! On a related note, whats the fuel efficiency of both vehicles?
    You have to check the dedicated threads here in Tsikot for both cars regarding fuel consumption. I do know that Mazda's SkyActiv engines are quite fuel efficient. For Honda's R18 engine, I think it's good for around 8 km/L for city driving routes.

Regarding interior space, the Civic is better over the Mazda3. My brother-in-law drives a Civic RS and the rear seats can fit 3 adults comfortably though not as comfortable as with a midsize like an Accord or Mazda6.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thank you so much for your inputs. I guess my priority would be a roomy interior (since we're a family of four with my parents occasionally travelling with us), newer look and overall comfort. I'll try to schedule a test drive for both soon.
    If that's your priority, definitely go for the Civic - newer, bigger, more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    You have to check the dedicated threads here in Tsikot for both cars regarding fuel consumption. I do know that Mazda's SkyActiv engines are quite fuel efficient. For Honda's R18 engine, I think it's good for around 8 km/L for city driving routes.

Regarding interior space, the Civic is better over the Mazda3. My brother-in-law drives a Civic RS and the rear seats can fit 3 adults comfortably though not as comfortable as with a midsize like an Accord or Mazda6.
    Good to know that the Civic is quite spacious. I plan to ask for a test drive soon. Thanks guys!

9. Join Date
    May 2017
    I've been having the same dilemma for the past month... If only the Mazda3 2.0 or the base HRV was within my budget then there wouldn't be an issue. I'm coming from a 2004 2.0 CRV MT

Mazda3 1.5 HB
    + The design has always attracted me and makes me want to drive this car. I imagine I'll make excuses to use it even just to buy groceries
    - smaller legroom (but it'll just be me 80% of the time)
    - I'm worried that the 1.5 engine won't be adequate for the occl trips to Baguio and Baler and Quezon and I can't find detailed reviews of this trim online
    - it was introduced in 2014... So a major design change could come soon
    + fits my budget with some extra room while Yoijin is in effect. After Yoijin, I've read mixed reviews

Civic 1.8E
    +/- I think the exterior design is great but somehow I feel like I would enjoy being the passenger only. I can't explain it but there is no urge to drive this car no matter the features and looks. Parang nakakatamad ilabas ng garage if just to buy something at the mall
    + new model. Almost has everything as the RS except for the turbo engine. Few compromises
    + 1.8 engine am sure would be more than adequate for Baguio and Baler
    - will have to stretch my budget a bit. Doable but barely
    + great interior space (but then again it'll just be me 80% of the time)

Sabi nila buy the car that you want to avoid buyer's remorse... Kaso it feels like a case of heart vs brain... From all objective points of view parang there should be no question na Civic nalang pero why is it so difficult to decide!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    For the price of these two options, you can check out the new Jetta 2.0L TDI DSG for 1.1M. You get Euro quality for the price of a Japanese car plus it comes with a powerful turbo Diesel engine.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/car-n...ef=home_feed_2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast