New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Good day enthusiasts! I'm planning to buy a mazda 323 2nd hand car... i've got some questions in mind... tnx...
    1. why is it cheaper? are the parts more expensive compared to other brands?
    2. are there surplus parts? are the parts easy to find?
    3. is it a good buy? does it perform well like a lancer or a corolla?

tnx.. bros! hope someone answers! tnx again!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's cheaper because people think all Mazdas are junk. The sudden death of Mazda dealerships back in the 90's did little to change those impressions.

There are surplus parts, they're not that hard to find, but obviously not as common as Corolla or Civic parts. You can find shops listed and discussed at www.protegetech.org, home of protegetech philippines, the local Mazda club.

As an aside, many PTP members swear by Kia Pasay. This casa services older Mazda vehicles, but for some parts, it's better to buy outside to save some money.

As for whether it's a good buy, it depends what you want. The 323 has a nice looking interior, great handling and good looks. It's a fun car to drive, and the engine is quite peppy. Ride is a bit on the stiff side, but the handling and vehicle dynamics pay off in dividends.

On the negative side, gas consumption is only so-so for a 1.6.

There are some minor maintenance problem areas, but these are usually easy to fix. Actually, all cars have their "issues" (Nissan's MAF, Lancers IACV, Civic's shocks, etcetera), and it's to be expected of any secondhand. Again, a trip to protegetech.org and/or Kia Pasay can fix all this.

The only real issue with the Mazda I know of is the fragility of the Automatic Transmission. Not all owners experience this, but there's an outside chance of the tranny failing altogether (it's happened to my cousin's 3 year old 323, another board member's Lynx, and a couple of other people). If you want a 323, get the manual.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    niky hit it right on the mark (as usual)

drop by www.protegetech.org for any inquiry about the car.

look out also for rust building up in the rear fender (a common problem).

replacement parts and aftermarket parts are not as common as toyotas and hondas, but it's there, you just have to know where to look. (we've got a database on that if you need it)

it's a good car. especially if you like to drive.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    niky,

alam mo it seems the "curse of the Mazda" is still upon us.

meron akong nakitang 2004 mazda6 (i assume ito pa yung lame 2.0L version) with 10,000km on the odo, going for 880,000 sa Buy and Sell.

so unless na-total yun and the insurance company is trying to get rid of it at a low price, that's a heck of a depreciation for a less-than-2-year-old car!

based on the oft-stated (on this forum) "buy a 2-year old car so that the owner has absorbed the initial depreciation" that Mazda6 would be a GREAT buy! and for the price of a mazda3..

now where did i leave that 880,000.. hmmm.. time to dig in the sofa for coins!!!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    in the case of mazda6, ganyan din ata nangyari sa ibang higher end sedan like accord/camry. hirap na ibenta ng over 1M kahit halos bago pa.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yeah.. it seems people in the market for accords or camry's can afford brand-new and turn up their noses at slightly-used.

that, or na-piss off yung mazda6 owner sa makupad na 2.0L engine (lalo na lumabas na yung 2.3L version)

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's really hard to sell midsize "japs", as people who want the prestige usually go brand new. It's only when their prices hit rock bottom (200k plus or minus) that kids start buying them, stripping them and souping them up... like what's happening with old Corona EXSIORs, Altimas, 626s, Galants and Accords.

See, 880k ain't bad for a Mazda6, but add a little more, and you can get a Mazda 3 2.0R...

Let's see... no coins in the sofa... how much can I sell the sofa for?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    since nasagutan na yung others...to add na lang...

3. is it a good buy? does it perform well like a lancer or a corolla?

familia ba?

-it is. best bang for the buck with a lot of gizmos that the competitors didn't have (or only had some) for the same price rance. and it handles nicely. heheh.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    tnx guys for your replies! i really appreciate your quick responses! I'm looking forward to own and drive one! thanks again for your help!

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    daming parts ang mazda. just be sure na hindi ex TAXI yun makukuha mo. mura din ang parts kasi ang dami nga naging taxi nyan. the only problem i hear from people na naka 323 is gas economy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mazda 323 Inquiry....