New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hi guys

Just wanna seek help am planning to buy car on April and am having doubt if it is Mazda 3 1.6 S or the Cruze 1.8 LS variant?
    Hope somebody help me thanks..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cliphton15 View Post
    Hi guys

Just wanna seek help am planning to buy car on April and am having doubt if it is Mazda 3 1.6 S or the Cruze 1.8 LS variant?
    Hope somebody help me thanks..
    Test drive both cars and also check the following:

1. Price
    2. Accessories
    3. Freebies
    4. Read forums on both cars to give you an idea on features/problems etc.

At the end of the day, follow your heart kung ano ba sa tingin mo ang nagustuhan mo.

Goodluck brad!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    In addition to marlboro's solid tips/suggestions, also consider that the current mazda 3 is an outgoing model. The Cruze has been in the market for less than a year. What does this mean for you as a buyer?

The current Mazda 3 remains a solid compact, and if you're not really after driving "the latest and greatest", you might get some good deals on the the current Mazda3, like zero-interest rates, discounts, and generous freebies. This alone can save you lots of money. If you want the new Mazda, it may or may not be released this year. I think other ASEAN countries are about to get the smiling-face RHD Mazda3 this year, so chances are, we'll get it soon, too.

On the other hand, the Cruze is an excellent, updated world car. Its essentially the same compact sold in other places, so you're guaranteed cutting-edge sya and globally competitive. Compliant with strict international standards and regulations, too. In Top Gear PH's comparo between the Civic and Cruze, only the Civic's better engine and transmission saved it from the well-rounded and equipped Cruze.
    Last edited by k00k; March 14th, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added link to new MZ3 in Malaysia launch

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Both choices are hard since I don't to pick between the two of them at the moment. I strongly suggest you broaden your picks to the likes of Lancer EX

My daily drive (until today since meron na akong bagong tsikot coming) is my sister's Mazda 3 1.6. It's not built for speed runs as you will really feel the weight problem of the M3 on the 1.6L. You need to rev it way past 4000RPM at 2nd gear before you "properly" get moving.

Interior refinement is still top notch. And that's a very good compliment if you take its age (2004) into the equation. Rear seats are cramped. Don't expect to ferry anybody above 5"10 here unless you want to punish him.

Driving fun.. is bar none the best among its peers. It's very hard to quantify why it is fun when it has its downsides but at the end of the day, I'm still enduring its firm suspension on Metro Manila roads rather than opting to drive a Camry

The Cruze still needs more "merits" before I even start considering it. The petrol engine is underpowered even if it has 1800cc of displacement. This is because those "toys" like airbags, safety alphabet gizmos (ABS, SRS, etc. you get the idea) makes as if you're transporting an additional person everytime.

Don't be fooled by the 6-speed automatic. Honda's tranny is WAY smoother and better.

Interior refinement is up to par. But I'd give it a bit more time before saying whether it'll age gracefully. However, one of its biggest pluses is NVH insulation. Something the Mazda 3 lacks and the Cruze has. Like its namesake, it's meant for "cruising". It's no fun to drive but it'll take you from point A to point B comfortably. But, there's the Toyota Corolla Altis does everything the Cruze does and is better at doing it save for the face and the toys.

Given the choices, I'll go for a Jazz 1.5, a Civic 1.8, and at LS territory, the EX GLS which the engine alone makes owning one worthwhile. Interior sucks unless you're getting the MX or GT-A.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Both choices are hard since I don't to pick between the two of them at the moment. I strongly suggest you broaden your picks to the likes of Lancer EX

My daily drive (until today since meron na akong bagong tsikot coming) is my sister's Mazda 3 1.6. It's not built for speed runs as you will really feel the weight problem of the M3 on the 1.6L. You need to rev it way past 4000RPM at 2nd gear before you "properly" get moving.

Interior refinement is still top notch. And that's a very good compliment if you take its age (2004) into the equation. Rear seats are cramped. Don't expect to ferry anybody above 5"10 here unless you want to punish him.

Driving fun.. is bar none the best among its peers. It's very hard to quantify why it is fun when it has its downsides but at the end of the day, I'm still enduring its firm suspension on Metro Manila roads rather than opting to drive a Camry

The Cruze still needs more "merits" before I even start considering it. The petrol engine is underpowered even if it has 1800cc of displacement. This is because those "toys" like airbags, safety alphabet gizmos (ABS, SRS, etc. you get the idea) makes as if you're transporting an additional person everytime.

Don't be fooled by the 6-speed automatic. Honda's tranny is WAY smoother and better.

Interior refinement is up to par. But I'd give it a bit more time before saying whether it'll age gracefully. However, one of its biggest pluses is NVH insulation. Something the Mazda 3 lacks and the Cruze has. Like its namesake, it's meant for "cruising". It's no fun to drive but it'll take you from point A to point B comfortably. But, there's the Toyota Corolla Altis does everything the Cruze does and is better at doing it save for the face and the toys.

Given the choices, I'll go for a Jazz 1.5, a Civic 1.8, and at LS territory, the EX GLS which the engine alone makes owning one worthwhile. Interior sucks unless you're getting the MX or GT-A.
    Yun parts availability ng Mazda 3 kalat yan? Parang Toyota?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Not as rampant as Hondas or Toyotas but definitely easier to find than Cruze.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    mazda 3 owner here, 08 1.6s..my take. kung dalawa lang option mo..

go for the cruze....simply because its new..dadating na next year ang new mazda 3..
    bagsak agad ang value ng mazda 3 mo if ever..

downside sa cruze..mahal ang PMS nya..pero the best before you decide..

test drive muna...then decide..

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ang laki din sobra discount ng old MZ3 so that will more than compensate depreciation...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    If you can wait the all new Elantra is about to be released in April according to sir SG and 3 variants daw po siya:
    1.6 GL M/T (Baka 6 M/T)
    1.8 GLS A/T
    1.8 GLS-Limited A/T

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    May we know your definition of "Cruze is not fun to drive" because we Cruze owners are having not just fun but an experience of a lifetime.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Mazda 3 vs. Cruze LS