New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I have already saved around 350Kto get my car.
    I can use the money as down payment for a new car. Check my other thread: Altis vs Lancer GLX vs Sentra SGX.
    But currently I am swayed to just buy a second hand car so I will not be paying monthly dues for 5 years.

I am 30+ yrs old family man.
    Factors:
    1. Reliability
    2. Maintenance cost
    3. Riding comfort
    4. FC
    5. Better if automatic if FC effect will be minimal

Don't care for resale value. Will be use in Pampanga, so not much traffic but a lot of unpaved roads.

Here are the cars I am considering. Please let me know what do you think.

1. 2003-05 Lynx Ghia or GSI
    Pros: Cheap, Solid Car, Abundant parts? What more?
    Cons: Low resale value(Advantage to me hehe!!!)
    What more?
    I like the looks. Not many on the road. Mechanics in our place are knowledgeable with this type of car. FC I think is average so OK with me.

2. 2002 - 2004 Civic VTI-S
    Pros - I love the look. Very Solid car again. Pogi points hehe. Sporty daw handling.
    Cons - Parang kailangan CASA maintenance? Mahal parts and less available replacement parts? Gas guzzler daw?

If I go for Civic, I can just afford an older car compared sa Lynx. Except for that I love this car.

3. 2004 Jazz
    Pros - My wife love this. FC is great!. Very practical and a jack of all trades type of car.
    Cons - Again price is way up my 350K budget. Maintenance cost. CVT problem if automatic?

4. Get a brand new Lancer GLX
    Pros - brand new, Bang for a buck car
    Cons - Sawa na ko sa Lancer. Matatali ako for 5 yrs for montly amortization of around 6K a month. I don't quite like the looks.

5. 7 Seater Avanza J
    Pros - Most practical car. Can carry 7 persons. low FC?
    Cons - Looks cheap

6. Others - give me a suggestion

I can still stretch my budget if I found a real nice car.
    Gurus give me your views.. thanks..

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Kahit ano sa list niyo basta hindi yung Lynx.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    *p_borj

thank sa reply po.. may I know what is the problem with Lynx?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Lynx is okay... and way... way under-budget... as long as you buy a manual transmission car. There are good examples of the automatic out there... but buying a secondhand automatic Ford/Mazda or Honda is a big gamble if you don't know the previous owner. And, as an added bonus... the AT Lynx drinks gas like no tomorrow. The MT Lynx is much better in this regard.

Most common problems are well-known and easy to fix, and they're mostly engine sensors. With a 350k budget, you can buy a four year-old Ghia MT, replace all the sensors with brand new ones, repaint the car, and still have enough money left over for 17" mags and tires.

-

Your list is pretty accurate. The only thing I can add is the Avanza is prone to rattles and buzzes... but it'll depend on the condition of your secondhand unit... and the same is true of most any secondhand car. The Honda CVT thing is a worry if you're buying secondhand... 1.3MT is the way to go, but it's hard finding cars in this price range. The 1.3MT City will be easier to find in that range. Looks like a cockroach, but has a huge trunk and terrific fuel economy... so don't let the looks put you off... in fact... those looks ensure you will be able to find a Honda City for much less than an equivalent Jazz.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    in car buying, maganda kasi yung alam mong patuloy ang production ng units ng model ng car.

it's just that sa lahat ng list mo sir, lynx kasi yung well for me "pinaka-mahirap i-maintain among your list". well ayun lang sabi sa akin nung officemate kong binenta yung Lynx niya.

Anyway, si sir niky, naka Lynx RS siya, so he can definetly help you out.

My point is, more car owners of same model, mas maraming parts na isu-supply, mas maraming pwedeng mapagtanungan. Obviously napakaraming Jazz, City at Avanza owners. Well that's my point, hindi dahil may problem ang Lynx dahil Ford naman yun and we know their great qualities.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How about the Nissan Sentra 1.3L GX ?

Nissan Sentra 1.3GX
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52389

You can get a 2004 to 2006 model unit for 250K to 350K. Just choose of you want A/T and M/T.

http://www.buyandsellph.com/listads....rch=313&page=2

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Lots of unpaved roads in your area? Get a decent AUV at least,a diesel AUV for easy maintenance and cheaper fuel, more space for the family.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    on second hand vehicles

- civic

on brand new vehicles

- either vios, avanza or sentra

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Lynx. Niky, ganun ba kalakas ang matic na Lynx sa gas? Mas matipid pa Familia AT ko, im averaging 7-8km/l normal driving and road traffic. pag sobrang traffic saka lang ako nag 6 km/l.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys.. keep it up..

*niky
    I have been reading about your views sa lynx kaya nga its on top of my list. If I will get an Avanza it will be brand new.. but the rattles are big turn-off.. I want a comfy quiet car.. sana a lynx is quiet at least much more quiet than a Lancer Pizza Pie model..

*p_borj
    I don't think maintenance is a problem in my place which is Pampanga.. a lot of mechanics here are familiar with the lynx.. may casa din dito ng Ford.. so I think ok lang kahit phase out na lymx model.. there are a lot of lynx here in Pampanga..

*ghosthunter
    Unfortunately, Nissan is unlike Lancers or Lynx here in our place.. I don't know if mechanics here are familiar with Nissan cars.. the casa here is non-existent.. kaya I am having 2nd thoughts about Nissan cars..but I would love a Sentra SGX.. kung makaka-siguro lang sana ako na there are mechanics here who knows Nissan cars..

*Oliver1013
    Gusto ko nga sana ang adventure.. but my wife hates it.. matanda na raw.. other AUVs are way off the budget.. also they are prone to rattles.. kaya I am not considering them..

Thanks again guys.. please more views.. I would like to stress pala na I like a quiet ride.. which of the above are less prone to rattles..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast