New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    With the recent floods, I am considering getting another vehicle with high ground clearance.

Gusto ko sana:

1. Gasoline Engine pero hindi masyadong magastos sa gas (although I am considering diesel as well)
    2. Price Range below P300k (Although wala pang set budget so I might be able to go slightly higher pa)
    3. High Ground Clearance (not necessarily a 4x4)

What I am considering would be:

Gasoline Nissan Terrano of about year 2000 vs. Mitsubishi Adventure Gas latest year model (I think 2004 may gas pa yata)

Can anyone input me with the maintenance costs of these vehicles? Sirain ba sila?
    Also, does anyone have other vehicles they would like to recommend with these requirements and anong pros and cons ng mga yan? Thanks

P.S.
    I chose gasoline to avoid the guys who like to catch smoke belchers. Second hand na kasi itong cars, kaya the gasoline cars will have less hassles.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You want something that's simply tall, or do you want something that's genuinely flood-worthy?

If it's simply tall, there are still many things that can happen. The alternator can conk out due to flood water (a gasoline engine car will not run without spark) or water can get in around the spark plug boots and cause misfiring. Or water may enter the cabin and cause the ECU to short.

If you want a flood-worthy vehicle, best bet is a diesel. If not, at least buy a gasoline SUV that's really meant for off-roading.

If you don't need an SUV, you can even get an early model Crosswind MT for 300k. The electricals are not very flood-worthy, but it's a mechanical injection pump, so it can run in up to waist deep water.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ang gasoline engine mas takot talaga sa baha bro. Best gasoline bets for you would be the 1.8L Revo M/T or the 2.0L Adventure M/T, though the Revo has the edge in ground clearance. Yun nga lang, despite the ancient nature of both cars, both engines are EFI already, which means flood wading capability is very much compromised.

Tell you what, get a diesel Revo and then fit bigger tires on it to further boost the ground clearance. I find it the least smoky among the diesel AUV lot. Both the 4JA1 and 4D56 are notorious for their smoky habits. Ito kung umusok, linis linis lang. Kung ayaw mawala, calibration. Tiyak na aayos yan. Yung amin, tumatakbo ng 145km/h*4600rpm sa SCTEX, absolutely no smoke to be seen from the tailpipe.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Jimny is a relatively cheap gasoline powered suv that can really offroad and with the right setup can handle floods. A old school diesel pick up with a snorkel will also work. Dont know the current prices of 2nd hand cars.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    vitara kaagad nasa isip ko

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at P300k that can be used on flooded streets?

i suggest you get a diesel engine with manual tranny.

with regards to the budget, a local gen 1 pajero will fit yours.
    you can also try jdm converted vehicles.
    but if you do look for converted ones, inspect the vehicle thoroughly (elecrical & mechanical) and choose the one that has the same local model (para madali ang spare parts).

hth!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    ^ converted japan na pajero din ang na iisip ko , kaya lang mga matic ito .. :sweat:

peru swak sa budget mo ang f150, kaya lang masyadong malakas sa GAS ito hehe
    Last edited by jrn29; September 14th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Haha! Ang mga Expedition at Suburban pumapasok rin sa 300k price range. JDM Mitsubishi Delica M/T magandang pangbaha din, just make sure of the conversion quality.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Expedition or F150 na lang sir.. tapos convert mo na lang to diesel :D

A first gen nonturbo 4D56 diesel Pajero will probably be for someone like me with budget constraints. Do note that it only has single cabin airconditioning. At least you have a transfer case if you need more traction in slippery flooded roads.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast