New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hey guys! Wow, tsikot changed a lot! Kudos to all of you!

Mind if you guys help me with my new dilemma. I need to buy my mom a new car for her everyday city driving, and we were choosing between the Kia Rio Hatch A/T and the Toyota Vios 1.5G A/T, and since its my mom who will drive it most of the time, what do you think is the best between the two in terms of:

RELIABILITY
    GAS CONSUMPTION
    MAINTENANCE
    PERFORMANCE

Reliability - Its my mom, she just sees it as another appliance. So it should be reliable enough and not give her headaches. The Toyota might have an edge on this (let's face it, its a Toyota). How about the Kia?

Gas Consumption - Of course, something you should consider in buying a brand new car.

Maintenance - Is the Kia relatively cheap and easy to maintain?

Performance - My mom will sometimes take the car for out of town trips, mostly going from Pangasinan to Baguio. What would you say regarding the performance of the two? Wont both of it have any problems going up Kennon road? Kaskasero po nanay ko, so engine POWER is a must.

Hope you can help in deciding the best car for her! Thank You Everyone, Keep Safe!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Toyota. You said it yourself.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Can't go wrong with the Vios bro :D

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    yaris ka na lang para hatch din and mas pogi kaysa vios

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    before i am very interested in kia rio hatch but when i found out na yung engine nya ay same sa accent. nagbago isip ko.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    If your mom views cars as an appliance, then get her an appliance.

Go for either the Vios 1.5G or Yaris 1.5G. The Yaris is cheaper with the same engine and FC, similar parts, but at least it looks a lot less boring.

All you really lose are a few amenities (think along the lines power-folding side mirrors and a multi-information display).

If you want power though, and you've got the budget, go for the Jazz 1.5V or Fiesta 1.6 Sport. Both faster than the Vios/Yaris. Also much more fun to drive up Kennon road.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Maliit lang Fiesta eh, Jazz talaga yung sulit dyan.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Just for me not to sound bias, let me say some few good points about the Rio..

1. Definitely looks better than the Vios/Yaris.
    2. Has probably more toys, I can't note the particular differences between the two but from what I've read it has good toys..
    3. Interior definitely feels more expensive, sa 1.4EX Rio palang eh -- talo na interior ng Vios ko.
    4. Has a notable trunk, don't know if it goes the same for the hatch pero sa 1.4EX Rio mas malaki siya sa Vios ko...

So you might ask why I didn't end up buying a Rio or an Accent and ended up with the Vios instead. Two things, long-term reliability & fuel consumption. Sa Rio thread, one Rio is consuming ~4-5km/L on the city. About 13km/L on the highway. If your mom is light-footed, she can easily get 11-12km/L on the City. Lowest would be around 8km/L but that's on very heavy traffic.

I've taken out the Vios on the expressway and it didn't disappoint. Well.. maybe until it reaches ~180kph then it will climb slowly to 200kph but then, will your mom take it to its max limits?

Engine knocking. I'm fearful of this. Although there might be a way to fix it, natakot pa rin ako.

Yun lang. So bottomline, Vios or Yaris.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    sir, parang you're answering your own question. hehe. vios. malakas ang 1.5 engine nya

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Thank you for your generous inputs guys!

The only reason why she wants the Rio is because of the looks and the interior. We had a chance to inspect the Rio awhile ago, and my mom just went all over it (almost closed the deal with the SA), too bad test drive wasn't possible. Is that how gas guzzling the Rio is considering its size? That there is a deal breaker.

Tomorrow we might inspect the Vios and the Yaris as you suggested. We already have a Jazz, and simply no for the accent and the fiesta.

May I ask, will there be a new model for Toyota that would replace the Vios or Yaris in 1-2 years time? I don't want buy a brand new one and after a year or so, a newer model comes out.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Kia Rio Hatch vs. Toyota Vios 1.5G