New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    hello fellow tsikoteers just wanted to seek your opinion on these 2 hatchbacks on which is better to buy. i need small cars for everyday driving since we live in the south where we use villages as passing throughs. the variants that i like is the top of the line models of the fiesta and the rio they are priced around 830-840k. pls give me your thoughts on which vehicle is better for everyday diving

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ford Fiesta, ayoko mag gamble dun sa Rio kasi baka biglang kumatok like the Accent and some Rio owners.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Kia Rio na.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    may brothers fiesta had tranny problems since day 1. naayos naman. sa computer ata problem and malakas sa gas. binenta din nya. for the rio may possibility na may knock din engine.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Right now I am currently leaning on getting the fiesta because first the rio is expensive for a 1.4 engine that is fitted also on the accent where the accent costs 700k second is i like the feeling of the interior of the fiesta it feels like a european car. I currently have 1.8 focus now and I am satisfied with fords after sales service, specially when they replaced my fuel pump that was under warranty.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You could go for the Rio 1.2 and hope that the smaller engine still gives you good economy in a heavier car (than the i10).

The Rio has the interior size of the Accent and the ride refinement of the Fiesta. Unfortunately, the 1.4 AT doesn't give you the power of the 1.6AT Accent or Fiesta, and fuel economy is similar because it weighs about the same.

None of these top of the line variants are very fuel efficient, actually. Don't expect better than 8 kml in traffic....
    Last edited by niky; May 6th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Niky how would you compare the 1.2 engine of the Rio to the 1.3 found in the Vios? I ask because the 2NZ-FE gets really good economy when paired with the Vios, and the Kia/Hyundai 1.2 engine is supposed to be even more powerful, so it should theoretically be as capable of hauling a Rio chassis.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No idea yet. We've just finished the 1.4. May get to do the 1.2 in a month or two pa.

Note that the Vios is a relatively light car... The 1.3 City/Jazz isn't quite as economical as before... New, heavier body and standard transmission... Whereas the Vios, (Mazda2!), and old City/Jazz are very light compared to the likes of the Fiesta and Rio.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    True, I've noticed that Toyota sedans are generally lighter than the competition, I wonder why. NCAP ratings aren't any worse, size and space aren't lacking, but something somewhere's gotta give.

Back to topic though, I'd recommend the Fiesta, just because it looks and feels more upscale to me, and because I find the Rio's specs too tacky - lotsa features, little engine. I'd rather have a 1.6 Rio hatch without the fancy but ultimately useless features such as the engine start-stop button. The Fiesta drives pretty well too, and the transmission's good enough for city driving. Haven't pushed it hard yet, but the lack of a sport mode (though apparently HLA should suffice, yes?) and manual override kinda spoil the fun of a DCT.

10. Join Date
    May 2005

A review of the Rio 1.2 LX

2012 Kia Rio 1.2 LX - Honest Car Reviews by AutoIndustriya.com

This reminds me of "barebones" units of past like the old Corolla AE90 2E (12 valve) w/ 4spd manual. Even the Corolla AE100 had a big body mated to the 1.3 2E.

The Kia Rio 1.2 is using the 1.2 "Kappa" from the Hyundai i20. OTOH, the Rio 1.4li is using the same 1.4 "gamma" engine from the 2011-12 Accent 1.4.

If its bet. the two (and disregarding the issue of engine power adequacy or inadequacy), I'd still pick the Rio 1.2 LX. I'm a sucker for barebones units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Kia Rio or Ford Fiesta