New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    ^ That 1.2LX is actually really good value if you ask me. I'd pick it over more "loaded" city cars such as the i10 or the Picanto, even if it's a tad more expensive. Personally I find a really big jump from minicars (is this what the i10/Celerio/Picanto crowd is called?) to sub-compacts.

Perfect for taxi fleets too. Even if it's not as efficient as an i10 1.2, the review states that over 10 km/L is still achievable in city driving. Perhaps still not as good as the venerable Vios 1.3J, but hey, it's cheaper anyway. Hopefully we get more reviews and owner input on the Rio, since it looks to be a very promising car.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Personally... think it's a good value, too. Who cares about toys? The extra toys you get in top of the line micro-cars like the 1.2 Spark and i10, and the top-end Picanto are things you can buy outside, yourself. You still don't get leather with those small cars, so why bother? Just get a 1.2 Rio, enjoy the huge advantage in space, and buy yourself a 2-DIN touchscreen outside for not much more money.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    True, I've noticed that Toyota sedans are generally lighter than the competition, I wonder why. NCAP ratings aren't any worse, size and space aren't lacking, but something somewhere's gotta give.

Back to topic though, I'd recommend the Fiesta, just because it looks and feels more upscale to me, and because I find the Rio's specs too tacky - lotsa features, little engine. I'd rather have a 1.6 Rio hatch without the fancy but ultimately useless features such as the engine start-stop button. The Fiesta drives pretty well too, and the transmission's good enough for city driving. Haven't pushed it hard yet, but the lack of a sport mode (though apparently HLA should suffice, yes?) and manual override kinda spoil the fun of a DCT.
    The current Vios has the smallest trunk in the entire segment. Only other cars with trunks that small were the OLD Rio and Accent.

It is now in a three-way tie for the smallest back seat (Fiesta/Mazda2). The Fiesta, at least, has more sound insulation. Both Fiesta and Mazda2 have bigger trunks. The Mazda2 is just as light as the Vios, with more space overall (though the back seat feels smaller due to the chunkier front seats on the 2.

The City, Rio and Accent are bigger cars in every way than the Vios. That's why they're heavier.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Pretty odd though, the Vios feels really spacious, to the point that sometimes I wonder if our Altis is any bigger in terms of legroom.

With regards to the trunk, the Altis has one of the biggest trunks in its class, being both deep and long. Though I guess in terms of overall size, it's not large. Definitely smaller than a Lancer EX or Cruze, and shorter than an Elantra. But width is generally as large as the other compacts, though the wheelbase may not be as long.

I do agree that the City and Accent are larger. The Accent feels as large as the Altis on the inside, and I'm sure it's not just my occluded perception. City is narrower, but legroom seems similar (oddly, I feel that the Vios is as spacious, as I've said above. Maybe my mind playing tricks on me).

No idea on the Rio yet, haven't been in one, but it's as spacious as the Accent, yes? I'm starting to like the Rio more and more, though the Accent still looks better, if not for the disproportionately small 14" rims on such a fat body. The 16's of the 1.6 are perfect though.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I'd pick the Rio judging by looks alone!

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Based on my own observations, the Vios and Altis have similar back passenger legrooms. The Altis has slightly bettter width space. Notice how the Altis' door panel curves out (concave shape), giving more impression of space.

In person, the Rio sedan looks bigger and longer, almost the same size as an Altis or 8th Gen Civic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Kia Rio or Ford Fiesta