New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Out of topic but... the 1.6M base rav4 is a pretty good deal. Other competitors with more toys have smaller engines and some have CVTs. 10 years down the line, those toys will be outdated. Tapos pag may masira na sensor etc, mahal. Won’t buy a car with eyesight.

Rav4 is a good investment if you think long term.
    As mentioned, he does not need a CUV as he already has a Forester.

He needs a sedan or hatchback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    As mentioned, he does not need a CUV as he already has a Forester.

He needs a sedan or hatchback.

Yes, I said its out of topic but just thought I’d comment since the rav4 was mentioned.

With his choices, Levorg 2.0 is the winner although its the most expensive but that is if money is not an issue. I guess the Civic might be the winner when it comes to resale value and reliability, provided he changes the oil and CVT fluid on a strict schedule.... Sayang lang wala na yung Focus (RIP), it still had the best value in my opinion especially with the turbo compacts reaching 1.6M above, even though the engine crapped in mine.

3. Join Date
    May 2019
    Out of topic but... the 1.6M base rav4 is a pretty good deal. Other competitors with more toys have smaller engines and some have CVTs. 10 years down the line, those toys will be outdated. Tapos pag may masira na sensor etc, mahal. Won’t buy a car with eyesight.

Rav4 is a good investment if you think long term.
    Same reasons why I suggested the Camry. By the way, those high tech sensors are very expensive to replace.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave24/7 View Post
    Same reasons why I suggested the Camry. By the way, those high tech sensors are very expensive to replace.

Yes... very, very expensive. Based on what happened to our ford ranger, the windshield was smashed by a branch. Turned out the rain sensor for the auto wiper needed to be replaced too. It costed us more than 60k.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Cars (in general) are not investments ... The Toyota RAV4 is overpriced ...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Cars (in general) are not investments ... The Toyota RAV4 is overpriced ...
    But it's a better investment than those with CVTs and gimmicky toys. It will age better.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    But it's a better investment than those with CVTs and gimmicky toys. It will age better.
    A vehicle is never an investment. It’s value will always depreciate and you will always need to spend for it. Also, please tell all Vios, Altis, City, Jazz, Civic, HRV, and CRV owners that they made a bad choice or their choice will not age better because their car is equipped with a CVT.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    "investment".
    salesmanspeak.
    i agree with egan.
    cars are like babies that never grow up.
    the only thing that grows in them, is their appetite for maintenance expenses.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Watch Prof. John Kelly of Weber State University open the Aisin 8speed used by Volvo, GM, 2017+ Lexus & some Toyotas. It's an hour's lecture.
    Aisin 8-Speed FWD Transaxles - Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, GM - YouTube
    They know the limits of CVT.[emoji4]
    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    A vehicle is never an investment. It’s value will always depreciate and you will always need to spend for it. Also, please tell all Vios, Altis, City, Jazz, Civic, HRV, and CRV owners that they made a bad choice or their choice will not age better because their car is equipped with a CVT.

I’d love to tell them. But people have a tendency not to accept their own car’s shortcomings. Wala pa namang sira ngayon diba? It is what it is. But CVTs will never last as long as a conventional auto unless MAYBE if the fluid is changed regularly. But given people’s treatment of cars as disposable appliances, it probably won’t matter that much 15 to 20 years later. No one holds onto cars that long nowadays.

I believe I used the word “investment” incorrectly. Yes cars are not investment because they will depreciate, you’ll maintain them etc. But what I’m saying is the Rav4 will not be as outdated as some of its competitors 10, 15 or 20 years later. Sensors will be crapping out, some toys will not be as cutting edge, sunroofs will have leaks, carbon deposits will accumulate with DI engines etc.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast