New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Advice naman mga peeps.

I have a 2-year old Innova which I really love and has served my family very well (5 occupants max.):

myself
    wifey
    **super-likot** na 2-year old child/child seat
    one yaya
    (ocassionally) a driver

Given that setup we found the Innova worth every cent I paid it for, hindi siya masikip even with groceries on board.

Here's my problem: my family has just gotten bigger with the birth of my second child. now we have:

myself
    wifey
    **super-likot** na 2-year old child
    one yaya
    (ocassionally) a driver

plus:

new yaya
    baby daughter/child seat
    additional baby stuffs/luggage

groceries

So obviously masikip na kami sa innova, even with the third row seat folded--paano pa kung may groceries?

As I said, super likot ng panganay ko so you have all that squirming and "are we there yets".

Myself and wifey have arrived at 2 choices:

1) Trade-in (sell) Innova for a new TCI A/T Grand Starex (add around 600K).

or

2) Keep innova, buy a second hand 2001-up Ford E150 (budget around 600K).

Both choices have pros:

choice 1: New vehicle/5 year warranty (no maintenance headaches--peace of mind). Tipid sa gas (diesel) compared sa E-150.

choice2: additional van, innova still has 1 year left in its warranty (I just use the innova on weekends. so super sariwa pa
    siya).

And both choice have cons:

choice 1: Depreciation x2 (when I bought the new Innova, then with buying the new Starex). Estimate namin talo kami ng at
    least 500K. Unknown track record of Gen4 Starex.

choice 2: Laklak sa gas. Possible costly maintenance (parts, insurance, registration.). Hirap sa parking.

Both choices would set me back about the same amount of upfront money (600K), which then boils the comparo down to the above
    pros and cons.

**Last important notes**: We will only use the van on weekends (Metro Manila/no SLEX/NLEX)--and we plan on keeping it "for
    life" (i.e. resale no issue). Weekly fuel budget would be at least 1000 pesos just for this van. I have 2 other cars (coding/weekday car no issue).

Most importantly: these are our 2 ultimate choices. We've dismissed all other alternatives (e.g. buying a new Grandia, second-hand Starex, etc.)

Your insights, own experiences and kind suggestions would be very much appreciated.

We plan to buy in February. We're still undecided--help us get unstuck! Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i would go for the TCI starex...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    +1 on the TCI Starex.

Btw, dalawa lang ba talaga choices mo? You can also go for a Kia Carnival.
    iam3739.com

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    There is really no contest between the two, hands down Starex.

We sold our E-150 in less than a year of use which sadly had very low resale value. Although the build quality was slightly better than the Expedition, the fuel consumption was still the main concern. The only things I like about the E-150 was the captain's chairs and the huge space inside. Heck, you can fit in cows if you wanted to.

The Starex has always been the darling van for most large families and is a breeze to drive. It makes long distance traveling even on rough roads a cinch.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I really had to choose between just these two, I'd go with the Grand Starex because I've been very happy with our 2006 CRDI Starex.

If your problem, however, is just the weekend grocery routine, then my suggestion would be to retain the Innova and simply shop for groceries by yourself, without two kids and their yayas in tow

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Actually, yung CONS mo sa choice 1 ay applicable pa din sa choice 2. Kasi kahit naman hindi mo ibenta yung Innova mo ay magde-depreciate pa din habang nasa possession ninyo. Ang advantage ng 2 vehicle ay dahil may backup ka in case may masira. Also, magkaka service si Kumander which she might appreciate plus she can use it in case something urgent comes up. Perhaps you can just get a relatively new Starex Gen 3 CRDi 2nd hand in addition to your Innova. It's Gen. 3 but it has common-rail unlike your TCi -- it also has more features like a rear wiper and fold-away 3rd row.
    Last edited by pup2; December 24th, 2007 at 05:21 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    im with what memphis said. go with the starex. for long time use. cheaper gas expense.

but if you really want space. then its the e150 for you. my energizer nephew can run around the e150 from front seat to the last row seat. jumping while on highways and such things that kids with lotsa lotsa energy do.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Maybe you can just add a Thule roof box for your groceries...

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Kandong na lang si yaya

Seriously, I will go for the Starex given the FC of the E150.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    why not get a seconhand starex instead of brandnew one.... it will still upset you about P600K (i think).

personal choice ko ang E-150 and Starex is next... because of the space and power of the vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Innova getting cramped: Trade-in for New Grand Starex or add 2nd Hand E150?