The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hehehe... The diesel V10 power sir wildthing? :hihihi:
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks a lot. Laking tulong talaga ng tsikoteers, kahit busy sa pasko:cool01:

For E150, fuel consumption wouldn't be too much of an issue--but I really won't be able to maintain another "old" vehicle as I already have a W124 keeping me busy in that regard.

on the other hand, maganda nga kapag may backup na innova in case masira yung E150---pero kung yung Grand Starex naman eh laging nasa casa mas lalong problema kasi walang backup family car.

Right now it seems all I need is assurance that the Grand Starex would indeed give me peace of mind (hindi sirain/wag lang lemon!) *and* have lots of interior space and flexibility for our needs.

Additional inputs are still welcome, especially from E150 and Grand Starex owners/users.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I'd say that if the weekly grocery is your worry, then keep your Innova and learn how to stack up the grocery items at the back of the van.... I am definitely sure that you have more than enough space on it for your grocery. (This is actually where the advantage of the rear glass window lifting independently of the body comes in)... I own a 3rdGen Starex and I tell you that if I stack the goods from the rear,- it is always an inefficient job. That is why I like our Vanette since I can lift the rear glass window independently and from there, stack the grocery items at the back of the van...

Here's how to stack the goods at the back of the Innova.

1. Recline the rear seat forward
    2. Start stacking the goods from the inside of the van
    3. As soon as it pile of items reaches a certain height, straighten up the rear seat and fill up the remaining space at the back.
    4. There you have it,- all groceries are in the back of the van.

Hope this is your main problem and it helps.

4909:coffee:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mukhang mahiyain ang mga Grand Starex owners. Around two of them posted in the Gen 4 Starex thread about a month ago, but they never posted follow-up performance reports.

Kung babasahin mo yung thread na iyon, maraming Gen 3 Starex owners ang hindi masaya sa Gen 4 Starex dahil kulang sya sa features kagaya ng 3rd brake light, rear wiper, at folding 3rd row seats.

Anyway, if the Grand Starex is anything like the Gen 3 CRDI Starex, then reliability shouldn't be a problem. Like I said, I have a 2006 Starex and it has gone close to 75,000 kilometers in just one and a half years. No major problems encountered. I had two parts replaced, a stabilizer link and an idler bearing; the former was covered by the warranty while the latter, being a "moving part subject to normal wear and tear," was not.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddySpeed View Post
    Advice naman mga peeps.

I have a 2-year old Innova which I really love and has served my family very well (5 occupants max.):

myself
    wifey
    **super-likot** na 2-year old child/child seat
    one yaya
    (ocassionally) a driver

Given that setup we found the Innova worth every cent I paid it for, hindi siya masikip even with groceries on board.

Here's my problem: my family has just gotten bigger with the birth of my second child. now we have:

myself
    wifey
    **super-likot** na 2-year old child
    one yaya
    (ocassionally) a driver

plus:

new yaya
    baby daughter/child seat
    additional baby stuffs/luggage

groceries

So obviously masikip na kami sa innova, even with the third row seat folded--paano pa kung may groceries?

As I said, super likot ng panganay ko so you have all that squirming and "are we there yets".

Myself and wifey have arrived at 2 choices:

1) Trade-in (sell) Innova for a new TCI A/T Grand Starex (add around 600K).

or

2) Keep innova, buy a second hand 2001-up Ford E150 (budget around 600K).

Both choices have pros:

choice 1: New vehicle/5 year warranty (no maintenance headaches--peace of mind). Tipid sa gas (diesel) compared sa E-150.

choice2: additional van, innova still has 1 year left in its warranty (I just use the innova on weekends. so super sariwa pa
    siya).

And both choice have cons:

choice 1: Depreciation x2 (when I bought the new Innova, then with buying the new Starex). Estimate namin talo kami ng at
    least 500K. Unknown track record of Gen4 Starex.

choice 2: Laklak sa gas. Possible costly maintenance (parts, insurance, registration.). Hirap sa parking.

Both choices would set me back about the same amount of upfront money (600K), which then boils the comparo down to the above
    pros and cons.

**Last important notes**: We will only use the van on weekends (Metro Manila/no SLEX/NLEX)--and we plan on keeping it "for
    life" (i.e. resale no issue). Weekly fuel budget would be at least 1000 pesos just for this van. I have 2 other cars (coding/weekday car no issue).

Most importantly: these are our 2 ultimate choices. We've dismissed all other alternatives (e.g. buying a new Grandia, second-hand Starex, etc.)

Your insights, own experiences and kind suggestions would be very much appreciated.

We plan to buy in February. We're still undecided--help us get unstuck! Thanks in advance.

ung mga tci variant po na grand starex is unang batch lang sir. puro crdi na po ang ilalabas sir

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    A friend of mine, who seldomly uses her E150 spends monthly of about 70k fuelling it (and her Expe). Naiinis nga sya sa lakas ng gas nun.

Mas ginagamit nya yung 300C and E320 nya.
    Last edited by Horsepower; December 25th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    So that means TCI 4th gen owners are screwed because of resale value? Only 1 or 2 batches of TCI units and that's it? Kawawa talaga...
    Anyway, Id go for a Starex or Grand Carnival LWB EX. Never touching a thirsty Ford again in my life.... unless its a Mustang
    sir hindi ko lang alam ang epekto nito sa resale. palagay ko nman wala pa agad magbebenta kasi bago pa.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd go with the Grand Starex. Despite its many shortcomings (for us previous Gen owners), it's still the better option compared to the thirsty E150. The 9/10 seater TCI grand starex will be able to house everyone, and leave room for groceries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Innova getting cramped: Trade-in for New Grand Starex or add 2nd Hand E150?