New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    620k -City and 650k -Jazz are MT only, I believe... the AT versions are 650k and 690k.

The CVT would be a BIG plus versus a traditional automatic, but in the Jazz versus the Rio, it's a judgement call whether it's worth an additional 90k. But I would likely go for the Jazz anyway.
    i got the 620k figure from BPI Express Online's admittedly antiquated site. It's pretty hard to get online pricing for Honda Philippines products (unlike Toyota and Mazda/Ford, which are both generally up-to-date). If the City CVT is 650k now, that's believable.

But how much is the Rio5 anyway? the current issue of Top Gear has a review of the Rio5, but even they don't give an exact figure. If it's 600k flat, it would still be a tough sell against a 650k City 1.3 CVT (and if >600k, it would fare even worse). The Honda is not just about the CVT, but also about the dual-spark engine, it's got best-in-class torque and fuel economy.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i forgot.. according to BPI, the bottom-dweller, entry-level City A-model is 553k. and, unlike the entry-level Vios J (please correct me if i'm wrong) even the base-level City has powered windows and locks. Seen in that light, a 530k Kio Rio doesn't seem like such a great value after all. Sure it looks better, but it almost certainly has less interior room and luggage space. And I still think the 1.3L i-DSI engine gets the better of Kio's 1.4L offering.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    dami nang ganyang rio sa cebu. mostly nakita ko made as taxi. same as the accent. dami kasing import galing korea. maganda sya. like a mini sentra. and if indeed 530k ang price nya, then its sure to be a hit with fleet owners. though kung ganun din price ng avanza, then goodbye rio instead of good buy. :D

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    according to motioncars.com 572k ang hatchback a/t

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    572k na pala yung facelifted na entry-level City, and 660k yung CVT.

hindi presyong Avanza yung Rio. the Avanza is ridiculously priced, the top-level 1.5G is same price as an entry-level Innova (763k).

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I guess we're both suffering from the need to look online... C! and TopGear aren't exactly reliable sources for up-to-date pricing either... I guess I can do a round of the car dealers in Alabang for an updated price list for Toyota and Honda...

According to both C! and Motioncars.com, the City base is now at 570k, while the base Vios is at 553k.

The Rio is definitely a better buy than the base Vios. More engine, more amenities. Whether it's a better buy than the base City... well, like I said, priorities. The City definitely has a technological edge, but it also had that edge over the Vios, and the Vios still sold well because of the difference in looks.

I think people are going to be willing to give Kia a chance. Bring a pretty car to the market, amidst news of a resurgence in your brand and with a great price, and people will buy it... just look at the Mazda3. With the Picanto, they kicked the ball out of the park. With the Rio, Kia's going to find out if they have what it takes to play with the big boys.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Super OT: RE: Avanza price... well, what can you do? That's Toyota. They cut every possible corner and deleted every possible extra to keep the Innova's price down... They really should think about releasing a 1.5J variant... I really like the idea of accessorizing the vehicle myself... especially considering the shoddy face value of Toyota's in-house radio head-units.

Oh, and did I mention? I love the Kia's stock radio... looks flashy and aftermarket, though the controls are of the 90's button-overload type... tiny!.. but sound is pretty nice for a stock system... very clear and not at all tinny. But maybe that's the fault of carlo's great CDs... ibang klase talaga pag audiophile.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    if the rio5 hatch is really 572k (motioncars) then it's definitely a good buy compared to a CVT City. you're right about city vs. vios though, the vios outsells the city by a healthy margin in spite of the city being better bang for the buck.

it must really hurt looking like Blatella Germanica.

the Mazda3 is the other side of that coin. The mid-range Mazda3 costs just as much as a midrange Altis E with a slushbox. The Altis has a better HVAC system (digital climate control), a better engine, and is a known value. but that didn't stop Mazda from selling a lot of '3s.

practicality doesn't always sell.

it makes me wonder though. the rio supposedly has a 100-inch wheelbase, i believe the vios and city are closer to 98 inches. is there any significant difference in the interior space?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    anyone have interior pics?

looks good on the outside

hmmm magkano kaya monthly neto kung 30% dp
    Last edited by kimpOy; September 26th, 2006 at 05:25 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    763k ang avanza??? susmaryosep. toyota is really abusing their brand image. kung ganun din lang, go kia! go hyundai!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Impromptu Face-off: Kia Rio versus Toyota Vios