New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kia Rio Sedan versus Toyota Vios 1.5G

A small caveat: The Kia Rio Sedan is the cheapest model in the range... if you can call two models with the same engine but different trannies a model range... while the Toyota Vios 1.5G is the top-of-the-line Vios, but a new variant at even higher spec is soon to come.

Quick lowdown:

Exterior -

The basic shape of the Rio is much more modern and attractive, very European, actually... The Rio's really something to look at in traffic... Take away the Kia badge, and you could stick a Renault or Opel badge beside the Rio badge... no one would know the difference.

I like the Vios, but the Rio just looks so modern and functional compared to the Toyota... and the amount of glass it gives you, without the bubble-top penalty of the City, is wonderful. Rio wins.

Interior -

The Kia has much better headroom, and legroom is very good, but thigh support and elbow room is lacking. The design is modern, and the instruments are easier to read than in the Vios. There are cubbyholes for everything, from your cellphone to your license card, and the sound system and airconditioning are pretty good. (They got a work-out from the heat).

But in terms of materials, the Vios wins, hands down. While it feels slightly cramped and dark compared to the Rio, everything feels more solid, and there are less hard plastics. I love the 1.5G color scheme, and the airbag-equipped wheel is nicer to hold. The design is getting dated, though, and I still hate that digital instrument panel.

Vios wins by dint of material wealth... and because I love dark colors.

Drive -

The test Vios was an automatic, so the Kia Rio obviously felt much stronger. The Rio's engine sounds sporty, but sadly, revs slowly when free-revving. It must have a pretty heavy flywheel, for smoothness... that's the only excuse I can think of. Power is comparable to a 1.5, with a bit less top end, and the linear torque is good enough to allow you to pull from under 1000 rpm in second gear (yes, surprised me too). It's responsive in traffic, but you have to thrash it to go fast... One peeve is the reverse gear. Even when you're used to it, you can still mess it up when you need to back-up suddenly.

In fast driving, the Kia understeers like nobody's business, due to some really cheap tires. Body roll is well controlled and steering is light but responsive. This bodes well for the car's handling on better tires, but the rear end feels crude at the limit, too bouncy when you're sliding sideways. Still, it drives great in traffic and is very nimble, with good (non-ABS) brakes... and it's fun to toss around despite the tire handicap. Oh, and it's quiet and rides somewhat smoothly. (another big shock.)

The Vios, on the other hand, feels solid and handles well, with heavy steering (still not the most communicative I've tried). It understeers less than you'd expect and grips strongly, thanks to a set of 15 inch Potenza RE050 tires. Those tires are also more comfortable, strangely, than the Kia's balloonish 14 inchers and are quieter, too.

Vios wins, but not by much. I think the tires on this trim level are an unfair advantage.

Bottom Line -

No surprise, the Vios 1.5G is a much better car than the Kia Rio. But with the projected price for the Rio at 530,000 pesos, and around 700,000 for the 1.5G Vios, that's expected. What's unexpected is how good the Kia is for such little money... again, confirming my first impressions of the Rio... this baby is the perfect college kid's car, and anyone considering a 1.3 Vios or City must consider this car, too... as neither of the 1.3s have ABS anyway, and they're not quite as quick.

Like the Vios, the Rio gives you the same elemental appeal as the first generation City. A quick, nimble, economical and fun little car for the masses.

Well, maybe it's not an unexpected result... we know Kias are good now... and we've come to expect it on these drives. It bodes well for the company's future. If they could go from the horrid little thing that was the old Kia Rio to this in just a few years, imagine how good they'll be in the near future...
    Last edited by niky; September 25th, 2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: factual errors, corrected. :)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    We drove the Kia Rio today around the city of Manila. It is surprisingly
    smooth and quiet. It may be slow at first but once get into the groove,
    it is another story. Stoping power is good and steering feel is light yet responsive.
    There are a lot of storage spaces inside the Rio. A mobile phone holder is located beside
    the cigarette lighter while a card holder is just below the head unit. It may look small but
    the Rio has acceptable levels of leg and foot room for both front and rear passengers.

The Vios shows its age yet it still handles well on corners while the Rio defines more up to date looks but lacks grip.
    In terms of goodies,the Vios is loaded with a lot of gizmos than the much dated Rio. The Vios 1.5G is equipped with
    a driver's airbag and abs while the Rio doesnt have either.

oh, by the way, our Kia Rio test unit comes with a tricky manual transmission.

The Kia Rio is a good alternative. With a retail price that falls under 600k, it is indeed very competitive.

Which will you choose?

Last edited by carlocaraddict; September 24th, 2006 at 11:50 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Don't forget the headroom... heheh... the Vios backseat feels really low after the Rio.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I would rather have a Rio... much sportier looking than the Vios (para sa akin di naman talaga mukhang sporty tong entry level ng Toyota e)

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yan mismo nasa picture na rio, yan yun below 600k? okey ah! kano ba entry level vios or city ngaun?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    ive seen it here in canada at para sa akin mas maganda talaga sya compared sa vios

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't have direct dealer quotes, pero according to motioncars, the Vios 1.3J, at 553,000, has manual windows and mirrors, and a 2-speaker cassette player (the last part may not be true anymore).

At a possible 530k, the Kia Rio has a Sony head-unit/CD player with four very decent speakers (maybe it's time to upgrade my Ford's six speaker system if a Kia can sound so nice... ), power steering, windows, locks, mirrors and keyless entry.

The 1.3E unit at 615k is a better match in terms of kit, although I'm not sure whether it has power windows yet. It does have body colored trim, unlike the black trim on the Rio, but I think the Rio's black trim has more charm.

If this were a comparison of the 1.3J to the Rio, the Rio would win, hands down... better value for money, good warranty, and lots of kit for the money.

Brand values? With the problems facing Honda and Toyota in the trim quality department, as well as various other issues, and with Hyundai/Kia gaining ground in Quality Awards and recognition, I think the playing field is more or less level now.

I'd love to try an up-spec'd Rio, with better wheels, leather, and, hopefully, a CRDi lump. Accent engine + Rio design + available ABS = new Kia owner here...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    yan mismo nasa picture na rio, yan yun below 600k? okey ah! kano ba entry level vios or city ngaun?
    AFAIK, Vios J is * 540k while the City is a little less than 600k.

Pero in the long run, mas lamang ang Toyota. That is, if you're talking about resale value IMO.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Pero, take note... mas mataas naman ang price niya in the first place... ...though I'm sure, even at the same price, the bare-bones Vios may just retain its value a bit longer than the Rio.

Of course, whether one counts resale value or not in car purchasing depends on the purpose of the buyer... like some of us contend, a car is not an investment, it's a luxury. You never expect to get money back on it. Pero, for some people, it's a legitimate issue, and I acknowledge that.

The hatchback is the really expensive one... if you can call a projected price of just under 600k expensive. But I believe it can actually compete with the Jazz, which costs more, too.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Wow! good reviews niky and carlocaraddict.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Impromptu Face-off: Kia Rio versus Toyota Vios