New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    [size=4]Hyundai Getz / Accent Test Drive Report[/size]

The Kia Picanto and Hyundai Getz shook up the subcompact market when they appeared from out of nowhere last year. The Kia Picanto represented the future of entry-level motoring, rated as the cheapest car to buy and maintain in Germany and representing build quality not far off from foreign competitors.

Kia began offering bare units last year for 375 thousand pesos, with no advertising but word of mouth. Despite this, demand became so great that prices rose through the roof. Enter the Hyundai Getz, platform mate to the Kia Picanto, priced just a little higher for the same spec, but with more modern amenities. The Getz has had its share of acclaim, besting the Honda Jazz for Subcompact of the Year both in Australia and in the Philippines.

But is it truly worthy?

After missing three different chances at test driving the new Getz, I wasn't about to pass another one up. Rising bright and early one Sunday morning (and 9 o'clock is damn early for me), I took a few mates with me to the Autofocus car show at Fort Bonifacio in Makati.

After a compulsory test-drive of the new Civic (story elsewhere) and the PCOTY 2005 Winner, the ***y but underappreciated Mazda6, we ambled over to the Hyundai booth to sign in for a test drive. Unlike previous weeks, we had little competition for attention from other clients (most likely due to the concurrent TranSport Show at Megamall), and we quickly got keys to the test units.

[size=4]Hyundai Getz[/size]

Though it looks much bigger initially than the Kia Picanto, the Getz is still a pretty small car. The trunk seems to be about the same size, and is only good for about one cart's worth of groceries with the rear seats in place. Trunk space improves considerably with the rear seats folded down, then forward. It's not a cargo space of Jazz-like proportions, but it's respectable.

Those rear seats are flat and bare, but reasonably comfortable. Knee room seems better than in the Picanto or even the Toyota Vios. The dark fabrics are a notch above the Picanto's, and the cheap plastics on the dash don't look all that bad in the sunlight. The steering wheel is plastic, but not too hard to the touch. The long chrome inside door handles are easy to use, but feel light and fragile, much like the similarly shaped handles in the Ford Escape. The buttons on the door resemble Mazda/Ford switches found in the Lynx, Ranger and Everest. Makes sense, when you think about it, as the Getz/Picanto's ancestor, the Kia Pride, was basically a Ford Fiesta / Mazda 121 clone.

The 1-din radio is nondescript, but not as tacky as Toyota's 2-din unit. Seems like a simple thing to swap out anyway. Instruments and dash design are merely average in execution, but they work well. The steering wheel is tilt-adjust only, and seat height adjustment is non-existent. But in this price range, expecting powered seats and telescoping wheels is a bit much.

[size=4]The Drive[/size]

Slot the key in and start the car up. The 1.5 turbodiesel (yes, that engine... why bother test driving anything else? ) fires up eagerly, ad settles into a muted idle. No glowplugs here or clouds of black smoke on start-up... this is a modern diesel. I'm initially puzzled by the odd gearshift, but once you've tried it, the pull-up-ring for the reverse function is ridiculously simple to operate... with the added advantage of having reverse right beside first gear.

Clutch action is relatively smooth, and the gearshift is notchy but light. Like most diesels, the Getz doesn't require you to press on the accelerator to get going. And like most diesels, the redline is ridiculously low.

I spend some time getting acquainted with the car. The ride is stiff, and body roll is minimal, even with four people riding. The steering is not as light as a City/Jazz's, and it has the same lack of feel that the Honda all-electric system has. The light body and short wheelbase gives the Getz nimble handling, though, and it's eager to turn-in. The Kumho tires aren't a paragon of grip, but they're good enough, and ride softly and quietly.

The torque is amazing. Much like the turbodiesel Innova I drove last month, the Hyundai 1.5 feels as smooth and nearly as torquey as a V6 gas engine. The engine note is gruff but not trucklike... more like a burbly old gas engine... I love it.

[size=4]Hyundai Accent[/size]

After the Getz, why drive an Accent? They're almost the same thing, right? I've always seen an Accent as a Getz with a boot and a price tag approaching the ridiculous, and I honestly wasn't expecting much when I buckled into the driver's seat.

It's a subtle thing, but the Accent feels, well, more upscale than the Getz. Window controls are similar, but the door handles are the more sensible square type. All the fabrics are a shade darker, the interior less mouse-furry and more somber, with less chintz and chrome. The steering wheel was covered in leatherette that wasn't quite tight enough (unlike stitched leather, leatherette stretches, so it's not a very good choice for steering wheel trim), but actually grippier than plastic. Rear seating is just as spacious, but the seats seem to have a better shape, and are nicer to look at. I think I can safely rate the Getz/Accent as being only slightly smaller (read that as... the Hyundais are big inside) than the Jazz/City in terms of seating room, but cargo space is another matter entirely. The Accent's trunk is decent, but nothing to write home about.

Whether because it's fresher, broken in or of different tune... or heck, because I'd become comfortable with the engine, the Accent feels like a rocket. I'd driven the Getz like a diesel, short shifting, riding the swell of torque between 2000 to 3000 rpm, and it impressed me with its driveability. I drove the Accent like a gas car and I was floored... literally. In the middle of overtaking the Civic (1.8 AT) test-unit down a side road, I ran headlong into the rev limiter. Embarrassing, yes, but true. The Accent accelerates so hard throughout its rev range that you need a shift-light to get the most out of it. I squealed the tires shifting into second a number of times without really trying hard... suffice to say, the power is addictive. The Accent feels much quicker and stronger than the new Civic 1.8 or even the Focus 2.0. It feels like it could safely rev up to and past 5000 rpm (it's limited around 4500) without bombing. And that's its Achilles heel. The Accent revs so well that you need to shift quickly to avoid the low redline.

Was the steering as uncommunicative and light as the Getz? Was the suspension as stiff? I honestly can't tell you. I didn't notice anything but the engine.

After the run, I saw the Accent on its way back to the dealership. It easily matched the Lynx RS's midrange power (of course, I wasn't flooring it) and I have no doubt it could more than match my car in traffic, with its more accessible peak torque and small size.

[size=4]Conclusion[/size]

So, is the Accent worth the 140k price premium over the Getz? The logical answer is, no. The 1.5 CRDi Matrix is a much more convincing value at 698k over the 768k Accent. It's got more space, huge (nearly panoramic) windows, and great cargo room. But the Accent is oh-so-tempting. It's priced similarly to the new 1.8V Civic, which is similarly devoid of ABS and airbags, and the 1.5 Jazz and City, which have safety equipment as standard. The lack of ABS is a worry, as you can go fast enough in this car to get into some serious trouble. But the lack of airbags is less serious, as the Getz/Accent platform is pretty safe, anyway.

If you're looking for a bachelor's pocket rocket, the Accent is an interesting alternative to a 1.5 Vios or Jazz, or a Civic 1.8V. The CRDi will definitely help keep resale value competitive with the Honda/Toyota crowd, too. Now if Hyundai would only lower the price another 50k or so, or package in ABS and a driver's airbag, it'd be perfect.

If you're looking for the ultimate commuter's car, the Getz is perfect. The lack of ABS and airbags isn't such a big issue in urban conditions, and the nimble handling is sure to keep you out of trouble (unless you're the one causing it!) Spend 468k, only 50k or so more than a Picanto, and get power steering, power windows and a frugal 1.1 liter engine, or spend 628k and get an amazingly quick and fuel efficient 1.5 CRDi. Shoppers choosing between this and a Honda Jazz will have a hard time deciding. But in the end, with prices this low, maybe the choice won't be so hard after all.

Make mine taxicab yellow... with checkered decals please.
    Last edited by niky; May 1st, 2006 at 12:55 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    [size=1]pics to follow on Tuesday, when I'm back at work and have a decent computer to post from.[/size]

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    mahap pala nyan accent for 768k.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. No airbags and ABS either. But it really does look much classier inside than the Getz. Ang ganda pati ng blue onyx na color niya.

Sana gawing mas logical ang pricing niya ng Hyundai... if they can sell the Matrix (which is bigger) for under 700k... why not the Accent?

Siguro, misleading ng kaunti yung review ko... the Getz CRDi is every bit as quick as the Accent, and would actually be a great "boyracer" for ex-hatchback owners or people who can't pony up the extra for a 1.5 Jazz. I think the Accent has a better tire/wheel combo, but 15"s and sporty tires for the Getz would be very cheap.

I'm going to try and get an additional test-drive at Laguna to confirm this and get some good pics.
    Last edited by niky; May 1st, 2006 at 11:09 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ah may 1.1l pa pala ang getz akala ko 1.4l lang

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup:

1.1 GL MT (FL - fully loaded) 468k
    1.4 GL MT/AT (FL) 518k - 568k
    1.5 CRDi MT (FL) 628k

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Maybe the Getz CRDi tested was not the VGT version while the Accent CRDi is a VGT, that's probaly why the Accent felt faster.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's VGT. Di ko lang hinarabas masyado... kaya nga, full test ako next weekend ulit sa suki kong Hyundai dealer.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    I test drove the Accent during the MIAS and found the car great. Parang Vios yung hatak. Too bad it lacks airbags and abs plus its too expensive.

The Getz CRDi is also great. The CRDi engine is as responsive like the Accent. Since the Getz is lighter than the Accent, it zooms faster. I talked to Jude Morte of Business Mirror and he said "kelangan alalayan yang Getz, magaan yung body plus ang lakas nung engine" hehehhe. I agree with him.

I love hyundai's new CRDi engines, its quiet, responsive and has loads of torque, now if they can add the safety features.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hyundai Getz / Accent Test Drive Report