New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    kung sporty driver ka i choose a sir than a mz3 if your for a balance drive sporty at the same time leisure driving go for the 3 or wait for 2006 civic

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by czw2005
    Good afternoon, Tsikots, I have a question,is Honda SIR still a nice choice for the second hand car? compare to the new mazda3 1.6 and honda vtis 1.6, which can run fastest?

basically the Honda Civic 1.6L SiR will outrun both the Honda Civic 1.6 VTI-S and the Mazda3 1.6L ... the basic reason is the SiR develops roughly 160hp.

A better comparison would have been:

Honda Civic 1.6L SiR vs Honda Civic 2.0L and Mazda3 2.0L
    Both the Mazda3 2.0 & Civic 2.0L develops roughly 140hp with more torque than the SiR which translates to more useful power in daily driving. The SiR engine needs to be push hard if you are going to use that 160hp, which only starts at 6000 to 8000 rpm... under 6000rpm, the engine lacks power.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 14th, 2006 at 12:29 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung speed ang gusto mo, SiR.

Teka, what's your budget pala? Kasi medyo magkalayo ang presyo ng SiR sa Mazda 3.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Secondhand SiRs have wildly differing asking prices. Most hover around the 400-450k range, but asking prices for some very very cherry (read, fresh) units are still 500k-600k.

It's very hard to find one in mint condition, as has been said, as most have been riced, raced and modded extensively. And some of those mods are really crappy. Best to find an all stock unit with a good engine.

It's really a dual nature car. At low rpms and in traffic, it's not much stronger than other 1.6s. You really need to rev its nuts off to have fun. Upside of the high revs is that the engine itself is built strong, and should give you no problem unless the previous owner abused it beyond reason. As for outright speed, 210 km/h is possible... depending on how good your tires and the road are.

The SiR has a supple suspension, and handling is good, if a little understeer-y because of the long wheelbase.

In comparison: if it's stock vs. stock, the Mazda3 has the tighter set-up and good handling, but it's pretty heavy. The Civic 2.0 is supposedly much softer (supposedly, haven't driven one in anger, yet) in set-up, and is also somewhat heavier than the SiR. Plus, the new Civic doesn't have the wonderful front dual wishbones of the SiR.

The Mazda3 2.0 has more torque, but it's definitely not as quick because of the A/T. The Civic 2.0 is also A/T, but with five speeds and 155hp, it's not much slower on the highway, and almost as quick, likely, in traffic.

Against other secondhand cars: The two closest cars to the SiR on the secondhand market are the Lynx RS and the Hyundai Coupe FX (previous generation)

The Ford Lynx RS has the best suspension and handling of the three. The Hyundai Coupe FX is said to be a very good handler, but has a tendency to snap oversteer a little more and would benefit from a tire upgrade. The SiR has the least "snap" of the three, and relatively more understeer due to a long wheelbase, but it can be made very "tight" with modifications, and it's definitely easier to modify than the other two. (but mod parts aren't cheap, either)

All three cars can hit 200+ km/h. A Lynx RS will do 0-100 km/h in 8.3 seconds if driven well (9.0 if not... it's not an easy car to drag race), A Hyundai Coupe FX 2.0 MT should do it between 7.8 - 8.2 (despite the low power of the 2.0, it's a pretty light car and much faster than the new one), the Civic SiR will do it in 7.6 if you can tame the wheelspin off the line (needs to be launched at high revs).

The Lynx has slightly more legroom than the SiR, but headroom is compromised by the sunroof. Equipment level is very good, but mainly because it's the newest. But the doors don't close with a solid thunk like in the SiR. The SiR feels more solid, the front seats more supportive, and I like the somber colors of the cabin, because they age better. The Coupe is obviously lacking accomodations and is not as good inside as the other two, but it's decent and the rear seat is good enough for short-medium trips.

Pricewise, the Coupe FX is around 250k. Parts are available, but they're not that common. Owners I know report no recurring headaches in terms of maintenance, but this model was only available till 99' (not sure). The RS is between 450-650k, depending on condition. Most cars should still be within warranty. Parts will be pricey, except for trim shared with other Lynx models. Engine parts and accessories, as well as suspension are model specific, but it should be a few years before anything needs replacing.
    Last edited by niky; March 14th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In apology... sorry... haba-haba poste poste...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    IMHO, it is! hehe I'm an EK fan. Just look for stock units (yes, there are, I've seen a few). I could've owned 1 if not for the fact that the car it would have replaced is the EK VTi. Still want 1 tho and I dont mind if it's secondhand unit.

Basically, the things I dont like about this car:
    1. no ABS
    2. no airbags
    3. power antenna (sana printed-type na rin)
    4. lacks on low-rpm torque

Everything-else, I like!!!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    ^^^ nadouble post = ) sorry
    Last edited by an0nim0us; March 14th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    SiR....OK yun... lalo lang if speed is the only thing you're after.
    i believe good handler din ang Hondas...althou for me andame nyang features na missing eh...safety or convenience features man...karamihan wala.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    SiR....OK yun... lalo lang if speed is the only thing you're after.
    i believe good handler din ang Hondas...althou for me andame nyang features na missing eh...safety or convenience features man...karamihan wala.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Good handler nga yung SiR, just noting that the balance is more understeery and the steering less direct than the Lynx RS or the Hyundai Coupe FX. Compared to any other compact on sale here at the time, though, the SiR's handling is still better.

Oh... and there's still nothing faster (1.6 or 2.0) on the local market than the SiR, stock to stock.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Is Honda SIR still a nice choice for the second hand car?