New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Would like your input on a mid-sized American SUV. This would most likely be our minivan replacement (Town & Country).

Honda Pilot 3.5 V6 2.6M (With discounts up to 100k++)

Explorer 2.0 Ecoboost 2.445M
    Explorer 3.5 V6 2.695M

The Ford Explorer is the newer of the two but is lower to the ground and there are some unresolved issues like the exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin among others. Also, which would be recommended between the 4-pot turbo and the traditional V6? Did not include the 3.5 Ecoboost since my father will be driving this most of the time. Ford reliability is also questionable.

The Pilot on the other hand is an older model but the classic, boxy SUV styling will most likely last. Ground clearance seems generous and 4wd may be useful in highway driving. Honda seems more reliable than the Blue Oval but have read of the VCM's excessive oil consumption. A newer model might be expected later next year also.

Was also considering the 3.2 Pajero but the space is an issue especially in the 3rd row and the brand does not ring well with the old man.

Our criteria are the ff in order: Reliability, Interior Space, Fuel Consumption (I know both are guzzlers but 1 or 2 km/l better is already a big diff). Will be keeping it for a long period of time (5-10 years). This will be also used on the highway a lot. Would appreciate feedback from first hand users. Suggestions on other vehicle choices are also welcome.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    How about putting the Maxda CX9 as one of your options? Yojin3 promo (free maintenance) is added value for such a hefty purchase, not to mention the CX9 AWD is cheaper than both the Pilot and Explorer 2.0L Ecoboost.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 19th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I own an explo 3.5 and have driven the pilot in the US about 4 yrs ago. Following your matrix :

1. Reliability - Honda is much better than Ford. I got a CRV 2004 and still running smooth with little maintenance lang while my 2007
    escape has it's fair share of parts replacement.

2. Interior space - hands down explorer.

3. Gas consumption - with those cars your looking at, why bothered by gas consumption. If consumption is a concern, there's the Alto, Mirage etc...

But if power & responsiveness is what you want, go for explo.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    How about putting the Maxda CX9 as one of your options? Yojin3 promo (free maintenance) is added value for such a hefty purchase, not to mention the CX9 AWD is cheaper than both the Pilot and Explorer 2.0L Ecoboost.

I agree. If you ask me, CX9 right now is a steal among full sized SUVs. Completely made in Japan (high reliability), Yojin 3year free maintenance, generous 3 rows of seating space and generous luggage area, sweet V6 engine, the fastest 7 seater SUV in its class. I think 4x4 AWD variant costs around P2.3M and the 4x2 FWD is around P2.1M before discounts.

Between Pilot and Explorer, I would choose Pilot mainly because of better overall reliability. Include CX9, then I choose CX9.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    A similar thread comparing the CX9 to the Explorer can be accessed below:

http://tsikot.com/forums/car-compari...xplorer-93383/

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Seeing that the Pilot wasn't a big seller here in the Philippines, you might have problems sourcing parts for it in the future. Compared to the Explorer where I see atleast 10 of them everyday(I actually count them while I'm bored using a treadmill in a gym in Makati) this may provide you better support someday.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    +1 on the CX9.

Explorer, for me, is an odd ball. If I'm after size, I'd go straight up and get the Expedition or Suburban (unfortunately, those are used as funeral hearses nowadays).

CX9 is soooo ***y. Made in Japan pa. That alone is one BIG reason to put in on top of your list.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If space is a major consideration, how about the Toyota Alphard?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    I have neither...

But I have ridden my uncle's Honda Pilot though, and frankly speaking the ride and the interior space / comfort is great. Makes me wonder why this has not been as popular as its competition.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    If you guys were wondering, the old man grew tired of driving a mini-van and wants an SUV instead without sacrificing much of the space and comfort.

Regarding the parts availability for the Pilot, is it true that it shares the same platform as the Accord and Odyssey? Does this mean that drivetrain parts are mostly interchangeable?

On the Explorer, any recommendations between the 2.0 Ecoboost and the 3.5 V6? Is there any truth as well to the cabin smelling like exhaust fumes?

Will visit a Mazda dealership for the CX9. The looks though might not click for a middle-aged man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast