New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Explorer Sport Trac's engine is rather weak for its displacement at 205hp for 4 liters which means heavy fuel consumption and slow performance. If you want a V6, get the Escape/Tribute 3.0V6 which makes the same amount of power. Melting tail lights? That must be an isolated case since I have a relative who has an '03 XLT who has never changed any exterior parts to date. There really isn't much difference between the Escape and the Tribute, except that the Escape goes the rugged route and the Tribute goes the luxury route. For me, between the choices I'd get a Gen 1.5 (1st gen with clear front headlights) V6 or 2.3NBX Escape (best looking Escape for me), or perhaps a Suzuki Grand Vitara of comparable price since these are among the few CUVs that can actually go off road.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Peak horsepower numbers don't tell the whole story. The Explorer has "only" 203 hp, but it has a waffle-load of torque from 3000 rpm and up. Which means, while the Escape V6 is still building up steam, the Explorer is already pushing along hard. The Explorer is faster to 100 km/h than the Escape V6 by a second or two (heck, even the five-door Eddie Bauer has a lot of beans), and it feels more muscular.

We only got the Escape V6 in the punier 200 hp version, and paired with the AWD, it's nice, but nowhere near as quick as the Outlander V6. More fun with the FWD version the Tribute is available in.

Melting tail-lights was a common issue with earlier Escape owners. It's something to look out for on secondhand cars. If the lights look okay, then either the owner replaced them with pieces with better plastic or it's not happening. In either case... good.

Quote Originally Posted by majinbu View Post
    thank you sir niky.. yeah.. i guess i have to wait till i find the best car for my budget. btw.. is it true that 2004 escape 4x2 XLS have a different HU size? which means i cant fit in there my 2din HU?
    If I remember right, just requires an adapter.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ah yes, the torque, I'd forgotten to figure that in since we were talking gas vehicles. But then again, isn't the Explorer a lot of heavier than the Escape V6, making it harder for the engine? Besides, another reason why I didn't like the Explorer was that I'd always though pickups were impractical, especially here in Metro Manila where it is simply a lifestyle vehicle. Its as long and almost as heavy as an SUV but can only seat 5, and you'd have to spend more money to buy accessories needed to do simple stuff like cover your stuff in the bed and still, you can't reach them when you're in the car. As for the Escape and Tribute... IMHO I still find the Escape to look better than the Tribute (gen 1 facelifted version), and that its looks serve its purpose more as a rugged SUV, unlike the city slicker look of the Tribute. I'd welcome AWD in any kind of SUV as well, even if it will cause some degree of performance loss, its still what makes an SUV well...an SUV.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Ah yes, the torque, I'd forgotten to figure that in since we were talking gas vehicles. But then again, isn't the Explorer a lot of heavier than the Escape V6, making it harder for the engine? Besides, another reason why I didn't like the Explorer was that I'd always though pickups were impractical, especially here in Metro Manila where it is simply a lifestyle vehicle. Its as long and almost as heavy as an SUV but can only seat 5, and you'd have to spend more money to buy accessories needed to do simple stuff like cover your stuff in the bed and still, you can't reach them when you're in the car. As for the Escape and Tribute... IMHO I still find the Escape to look better than the Tribute (gen 1 facelifted version), and that its looks serve its purpose more as a rugged SUV, unlike the city slicker look of the Tribute. I'd welcome AWD in any kind of SUV as well, even if it will cause some degree of performance loss, its still what makes an SUV well...an SUV.
    Heavier, yes, but more torque... much more torque. Which gives you pleasing waftability.

Yes, the four door pickup version is paradoxical. But it gives you better rear seat space than most local pickups (well... the new Navara and Strada are exceptions). Still... I'd prefer a newer five-door... that is, I would if I could put up with the economy and wait for parts.

Whatever Ford decides to call it, an Escape is a crossover, not an SUV. It's built on a car platform... the 626. And with that, comes a car engine layout... with the attendant low engine and filter placement. With the stupidly low placement of the air-intake, the Escape-Tribute twins aren't very good at fording deep floods, and their off-road abilities are modest. Not that our CR-V is any better (Civic-based... even the 2010 has a low intake!) And the CR-V doesn't ride as nicely as the Escape, either and probably doesn't have a tenth of the axle articulation.

I don't mind FWD in a crossover. FWD is more than enough for what a typical crossover driver might encounter on their daily commute... steep, slick parking ramps (done that), 3 inches of water (done that) or 6 inches of mud (done that... in a 626... you just gotta know how to dig... dig? ... "digging out" is easier in FWD than RWD, since you can wiggle your front wheels and create traction for yourself) and typical potholes and roads.

Best local version of the Escape/Tribute twins would be the 2WD 2.3 liter. Most fun is the 2WD V6 Tribute (the wheelspin!). Most loaded, though, is the AWD 2.3 XLT Escape, which is kind of nice.
    Last edited by niky; August 17th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    if it were me, i'd probably go for the old crv, escape, then explorer... in that order.

the old rav4 is a bit cramped inside for my taste.

explorer and expedition if fuel economy won't be an issue and if you'll use it only for the weekend long drive or cruising for chicks on boni high street (oops, sorry ka na lang if you're married...). you can get 1st generation expys for a song now... like, 380-450. big, brutal machines, those bad boys...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Heavier, yes, but more torque... much more torque. Which gives you pleasing waftability.

Yes, the four door pickup version is paradoxical. But it gives you better rear seat space than most local pickups (well... the new Navara and Strada are exceptions). Still... I'd prefer a newer five-door... that is, I would if I could put up with the economy and wait for parts.

Whatever Ford decides to call it, an Escape is a crossover, not an SUV. It's built on a car platform... the 626. And with that, comes a car engine layout... with the attendant low engine and filter placement. With the stupidly low placement of the air-intake, the Escape-Tribute twins aren't very good at fording deep floods, and their off-road abilities are modest. Not that our CR-V is any better (Civic-based... even the 2010 has a low intake!) And the CR-V doesn't ride as nicely as the Escape, either and probably doesn't have a tenth of the axle articulation.

I don't mind FWD in a crossover. FWD is more than enough for what a typical crossover driver might encounter on their daily commute... steep, slick parking ramps (done that), 3 inches of water (done that) or 6 inches of mud (done that... in a 626... you just gotta know how to dig... dig? ... "digging out" is easier in FWD than RWD, since you can wiggle your front wheels and create traction for yourself) and typical potholes and roads.

Best local version of the Escape/Tribute twins would be the 2WD 2.3 liter. Most fun is the 2WD V6 Tribute (the wheelspin!). Most loaded, though, is the AWD 2.3 XLT Escape, which is kind of nice.
    Yes, I have noticed that the Escape's water fording capability isn't good. My relative's '03 Escape has more than once stalled in Dapitan due to flood, because she, yes she, was driving faster than normal flood fording speed in a hurry to get home in the middle of a storm. But I have also found out that its suspension is very sturdy, worthy of off road abuse, once I was in that car when we hit a very wide and deep pothole which my relative failed to notice in normal driving speed. Nothing happened after that, it filtered the huge hole like it was just a minor road imperfection, no need for alignment, no nothing, just kept on going. She regularly goes to Antipolo as well, and uptil now the car has shown no signs of abuse, the ride is as comfy as before, and the suspension has never before produced squeaks of any sort. Its quite spacious inside, IMO more so than the CRV, and the aircon is very cool. But then the 2.0 is friggin' slow, and made even slower by the A/T and drag from the AWD system. In order to drive in her normal cruising speed (medyo kaskasera kasi yan, runs in the family ) she'd push the engine to 5000rpm to gain good acceleration.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yes, I have noticed that the Escape's water fording capability isn't good. My relative's '03 Escape has more than once stalled in Dapitan due to flood, because she, yes she, was driving faster than normal flood fording speed in a hurry to get home in the middle of a storm. But I have also found out that its suspension is very sturdy, worthy of off road abuse, once I was in that car when we hit a very wide and deep pothole which my relative failed to notice in normal driving speed. Nothing happened after that, it filtered the huge hole like it was just a minor road imperfection, no need for alignment, no nothing, just kept on going. She regularly goes to Antipolo as well, and uptil now the car has shown no signs of abuse, the ride is as comfy as before, and the suspension has never before produced squeaks of any sort. Its quite spacious inside, IMO more so than the CRV, and the aircon is very cool. But then the 2.0 is friggin' slow, and made even slower by the A/T and drag from the AWD system. In order to drive in her normal cruising speed (medyo kaskasera kasi yan, runs in the family ) she'd push the engine to 5000rpm to gain good acceleration.
    Yeah... the 2.0 was really poorly matched to the AT and AWD. The 2.3 is much better in this regard... though I wish Ford would give us the 2.5 and 5AT or 6AT they use in the US!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Is the 2.5 engine you are mentioning the one used in the Mazda 6 and CX-7? The Escape sold here, though quite good in its own right, is not able to battle it out with the competition anymore. If they're stuck with an older model, they could have given it more toys. Take Ford Taiwan, for example, they have the same Escape as ours, but they included cruise control, steering wheel mounted controls, power moonroof and backup sensors, and all that for less than the local Escape's price! Oh and BTW, what new vehicles will Ford be releasing the next generation in this upcoming PIMS? Hopefully after the local release of the Fiesta, they will think of releasing the USDM Escape and the Mondeo.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    gas guzzler lahat ng pinagpipilian,

mahal pa spare parts ng ford

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Is the 2.5 engine you are mentioning the one used in the Mazda 6 and CX-7? The Escape sold here, though quite good in its own right, is not able to battle it out with the competition anymore. If they're stuck with an older model, they could have given it more toys. Take Ford Taiwan, for example, they have the same Escape as ours, but they included cruise control, steering wheel mounted controls, power moonroof and backup sensors, and all that for less than the local Escape's price! Oh and BTW, what new vehicles will Ford be releasing the next generation in this upcoming PIMS? Hopefully after the local release of the Fiesta, they will think of releasing the USDM Escape and the Mondeo.
    Not sure. The Fiesta, for sure. Hopefully the Mondeo, but an updated Escape (because the new Kuga would cost waaaay too much) would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by projector View Post
    gas guzzler lahat ng pinagpipilian,

mahal pa spare parts ng ford
    Depends on the model. Sensors for the big American engines cost the same as for their Japanese counterparts. Parts for my Lynx 2.0 cost less than for many Japanese 2.0s. (and the suspension parts cost the same as Japanese compacts). The Focus has expensive parts, but then, so do the new Civic and the new Lancer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
help me decide which SUV should i get