New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I am a TOYOTA loyalist but between the 3, I would go for the CIVIC 2.0s. the reason: i was a bit dissapointed with the new altis because though it was totally redesigned, only the front seemed to have benifitted from it from the outside, the side looks very much the same as the old generation altis and the back sports a taillamp which is very reminiscent of the 2001 altis taillamp, the interior though is completely redesigned and is indeed pleasing to the eyes and is ergonomically designed, the engine is a mere carryover from the previous model minus some horsepower and torque to give way to better emissions (the dual vvti did not reach philippine shores?). the new lancer looks and performs well on the test track but it has to struggle to win the hearts of the Filipinos because previous generation lancer owners had become a minority for almost a decade now. the civic is a bestseller from 1996-2000, but gave way to the previous altis from 2001-2005 but again retained the crown with the civic FD. The civic FD has a swooping sporty exterior very different from its previous generation and a high-tech yet sporty interior (2 layered digital dashboard), and sports a new 1.8 liter R18 SOHC i-vtec engine (140 hp yet very fuel efficient) and a 2.0liter tuner favorite K20 engine (replacing the throne of the B16s and B18s. Plus the exclusivity and high resale value, the Civic is my choice!!!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I would prefer the Lancer, the 2.0 engine might be able to compete with the Civic but I wish they will add the 1.8 engine as it will compose of majority of the sales, perhaps it might have the same reputation as the Galant GTi. The 650 watt sound system is best in class and so are the 18 inch tires, like the Outlander it has set the benchmark in many areas. There are just too many Civics already. Though if you aim for the best performance, good looks, reliability and resale value, the Civic is still the one to get.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Corollax View Post
    Actually I'm a Corolla fan and I really like the All-New Altis but my wife insists to get a 2.0S Civic
    Wife knows best

Go get a Civic. The Lancer is not for everybody.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    you know im also in the same boat...id like to share my thoughts for the 3 exact models i was looking at before buying a new car. these are my personal opinions

initially i was almost set on buying the the toyota mainly for its track record even before seeing it or reading reviews. but then it didnt have the color i wanted. being so disappointed i thought id go for a differernt maker. so checked out the lancer and the civic. i got very excited about the lancer. less so with the civic.
    after the test drive of the 3 cars, altis was my winner (i settled for dark grey instead of black). civic was super close 2nd. lancer was a distant 3rd choice.

lancers 18inch wheels, rockford 9 speaker system, AFS HID high and low, 7 airbags,etc. made it such sweet deal on paper, not to mention they had the color i wanted. (civic also had the color i wanted)

but you know what, after the test driving the lancer GTA isnt all that great up close and personal. cheap materials. the interiors may look good in photos but seeing it and touching it, whole different story. gauges were tiny. red LCD display was not to my liking. the controls on center consol werent very ergonomic. dials on the climate control are so retro. arm rest was practically useless for my hight. headlights were awful (emitted light isnt smooth and not as bright as altis/civic even though it uses both high and low HID.) it may have 18 inch wheels but looks cheap closeup(unimpressive) the bagage was the smallest of the bunch not to mention the sub leave even less room. interior storage was the smallest also. shifting thru gears wasnt smooth a/t at times went back and forth like crazy. lancer was the least comfortable of the 3. also the noisiest of the 3. and the worst seats as well. swade? come on! lack of retractable side mirrors and power seats and no one pull window closing was a big downer for me. unimpressive leather quality on the steering wheel. backing up was also a problem since the back window was the smallest of the 3 and the spoiler obstracted view. clearly whats on paper doesnt equate to reality all the time...

i cant help thinking, lancer brags about safety with 7 airbag but those little things that would have made things safer everyday use like one click window close, sidemirror mouted turning lights, parking sensor(sonar) & clearer better rear view for backing up are ignored. they have saftey when accidents happen, little to prevent accidents from happening. so for safely preventing accidents id say altis tops the bunch.
    i also hear altis aircon/climate control is better than the other 2.

civic has the best interior detailing among the 3 with little to complain about overall. but what mattered to me most i found altis to be at the top although there are those details that civic would be on top. features that civic outdid the altis that i didnt care too much for...faster ang 2.0s but also eats up gas faster and 1.8v altis is no slow poke and far from being under powered (plus i dont intend to race anyways)...digital speedometer (i prefer the optitron on altis). steering paddles for gear shifting which i probably never use.

here are some reasons why i pick the altis over the civic.
    no auto rain/lights/parking sensor. no manual leveling of headlamps. no dual glove box. less headroom. no power seats. smaller rear window bad for backing up. bit stiff and harder less comfortable ride/seats. all these points go to altis.

civic's blue seats was not to my liking. wider turning radius than the altis but not by much and the lancer performed best here. smallest tank capacity among the 3 means more trips to the gas station.
    biggest deal breaker for me sa civic is the maintenance from year 4 to year 15 would be many times more than the altis.

i only wish the altis had aux audio input. both civic and lancer has it kasi.

BTW, i know some are discouraged bout the 2008 altis coz its much alike from its previous incarnation. but the last time i bought a corolla was 1994 so im not affected by that at all.
    and besides id like to think that its good they didnt try to change what wasnt broken. just enhanced and improved it a bit

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    sa civic 2.0 ako, although medjo biased since me EK civic kami...
    ayoko ng altis, para kang bumili ng facelifted na luma... di tulad ng lance at civic na talagang ang laki ng pagbabago compared sa prev gens nila, bibili ka rin lang yung bago na sana sa paningin... medjo sablay lang sa akin sa lancer parang underpowered pa din sya depite of 2.0 na sya, tsaka nakita ko na yung loob nya sa showroom, di ganun kaganda comapred sa pics...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Medyo mahirap nga ang choices nito on paper.

Process of elimination:
    1. Read forums like these and remember the pros and cons. Have access to
    testimonials.
    2. Go to dealerships and do actual viewing and walk-around. There may be factors
    that makes 1-2 of them attractive to you.
    3. Test drive. Feel if one of them is "special".

Of course, there will be imperfections, can you live with it?

Take a look at your wife...paano mo sya pinili?

Then, take your choice among the three...be happy with that choice...and learn to live with it. Because at the end of the day, any of the three will do really. Kon saan ka masaya ika nga.

As for me, i'll go with the Civic.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Priorities lang yun... and that's down to you and your wife.

Basically, if you value driving fun, the Lancer is an excellent balance of handling and power. Most testers agree it's a hoot to drive, and it's very pretty to look at (from the outside), but as markyap pointed out, gun-slit windows aren't really great for looking out of (this is my beef with Volvo's "***y" cars, too).

If you want the most sophisitcated and powerful engine package, the Civic is it.

If you value seating comfort, the Altis is, IMHO, leagues ahead of the Civic. I can't comment on the Lancer yet. But you really have to test-drive to find out. Most people are fine with the Civic's seats. If you're that unlucky 10% of the population who don't fit properly, it really, really hurts where it pokes into your back.

The Corolla is a good car, comfortable seats, very comfortable suspension. That suspension is soft, though, and tends to sag under full loads. The steering is also plain crap. Too light, too numb, and too loose for my tastes. The very definition of "boring". Still... it's very, very easy to commute with.

The Civic is a sporting car with a great interior, the biggest rear seat and a great engine, etcetera. It rides a bit stiffly, though, and the seats... well, I mentioned them already.

The Lancer makes no bones about what it wants to be. It's not a compact family car. It's a sports sedan... the Galant GTi reincarnated. In fact, it's labelled as a Galant in other markets.

-----

Of course, there are other choices on the market. If you're looking at top-end models, the Mazda3 is still a good choice. The 2.0R has decent power, exceptional handling and great seats. The interior is more boy-racer than family car, but it's comfortable, if not as generous in knee-room as the Civic. The suspension is stiff-ish, but the ride is almost as supple as the Corolla's.

The Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi. May lack features compared to the others, but amazing grunt combined with 13-16 km/l in traffic? What more could you ask for? And, as most people here know, I swear by this car's toughness... damn near unbreakable. Seats are comfortable, suspension very well controlled. Rear hatch very handy.

-----

And there's always the ultimate family cars... the MPVs... the Grand Livina, the Carens, the Innova... cars that are, ultimately, more practical than any of these sedans/hatchbacks, though they're not as much fun to drive.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by melrome View Post
    Wife knows best

Go get a Civic. The Lancer is not for everybody.
    That's because you can easily get laid in the new Lancer! Yeah baby! :banana1: Not many wives would like the Lancer for their hubbies.

Kidding aside, the Civic might have my vote here. Kahit 2.0, matipid yung engine. And I find the Altis just too bland/conservative (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Matter of taste lang.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Naisip ko lang...di kaya age-dependent yon profile ng mga bumili?

20-30s --sports sedan for yuppies on-the-go (Lancer)

30-40s --trendy car for those who wants glamour (Civic)

40-50s --ease and comfort for subdued elegance (Corolla Altis).

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    civic is my vote kasi we have one 2.0S-L and bago kami mgkacivic we have an altis 1.8g.so far happy kami ng mga parents ko sa civic namin.the best tlga.worth it sya for the price.hope this helps!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
HELP!!! '08 Lancer 2.0, '08 Civic 2.0S, or '08 Altis 1.8V???