New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    i dont know... i tried googling it if its a bosch system... cant seem to find any proper results...
    pero based sa reviews, premium is required...

pero even if it could survive, it would still affect the performance when the impurities start clogging?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rattrapante View Post
    If I was buying a porshe, I am pretty sure fuel efficiency would be the last on my mind, so I would get the Gas version. For such a high performance engine and our poor diesel quality it can easily spell early engine failure.
    i agree with this.

You should never expect me to buy a gasoline-powered vehicle if I had a diesel option...

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyLover View Post
    i dont know... i tried googling it if its a bosch system... cant seem to find any proper results...
    pero based sa reviews, premium is required...

pero even if it could survive, it would still affect the performance when the impurities start clogging?
    It is a Bosch system, the engine is essentially the same 3.0 V6 TDI used by Volkswagen/Audi. It's reported to not be suitable to run on biodiesel, but Volkswagen engines are widely used by biodiesel enthusiasts worldwide. Maybe the premium diesel use is enforced because of the fuel line filters and the exhaust aftertreatment, but I bet there are some ways to deal with this issue. Something like the "low quality diesel tune" available for the Mercedes-Benz ML350 CDI.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You will have to retune. There's an after-ignition injection pulse used to clear the particulate filters on VW engines (from what I've heard)... thus: though there's very little difference in how good biodiesel burns compared to fossil diesel, the biodiesel acts differently when used as exhaust after-treatment, which can cause lots of problems.

This is what I gather from discussions by US Biodiesel enthusiast groups. This was not a problem on older VW diesels, but thanks to stricter emissions laws, they've added that extra pulse that causes those problems when used in conjunction with Biodiesel.

Not as big a problem as valve recession reported by some users on other common-rail cars... but still... why risk it when there's no need to?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You will have to retune. There's an after-ignition injection pulse used to clear the particulate filters on VW engines (from what I've heard)... thus: though there's very little difference in how good biodiesel burns compared to fossil diesel, the biodiesel acts differently when used as exhaust after-treatment, which can cause lots of problems.
    The so-called "regenerative" function, it doesn't happen always, only when a sensor reports the DPF is becoming too clogged. As far as biodiesel goes, it's reported to generate less particulate matter, so not too much to worry about.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's still a hassle... there's also the worry that injectors pulsing after ignition spray liquid fuel onto the cylinder bores, which washes into the crankcase... which increases the dreaded oil dilution problem inherent with biodiesel.

I think it's Caterpillar that makes engines that don't have this problem... the secondary squirt of fuel comes via a separate injector in the exhaust.

As far as I know, the secondary squirt of fuel wouls ALWAYS be on the exhaust, to do the regeneration of the DPF. As far as Caterpillar goes, they're going out of the highway engines market. BTW in some countries where Euro-4 or Euro-5 are already enforced, and in the United States where a regulation equivalent to the Euro-6 is already enforced, some vehicles are fitted with the SCR system that sprays an urea-based mix on the exhaust...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    hehehe... would you risk buying a diesel cayenne?... honestly i'm having mixed thoughts about my v6 because of the vibration and engine noise...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    As far as I know, the secondary squirt of fuel wouls ALWAYS be on the exhaust, to do the regeneration of the DPF. As far as Caterpillar goes, they're going out of the highway engines market. BTW in some countries where Euro-4 or Euro-5 are already enforced, and in the United States where a regulation equivalent to the Euro-6 is already enforced, some vehicles are fitted with the SCR system that sprays an urea-based mix on the exhaust...
    The squirt is always on the exhaust stroke... but small passenger car engines don't have an extra injector for this, so they use the in-chamber injectors for this purpose. That's the problem.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gas if Porsche para sagad sa tulin hehe
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast