New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Hi Guys,
    I know both are tomador, but which one is a better buy overall?
    some things that I'm considering:
    - Parts maintenance
    - Automatic Transmission
    - less kalampagin
    - Aircon

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Hi Mitsu boys,
    Just making some inquiry regarding this car. Im considering this versus the Cefiro and by looks alone, definitely the galant is the more maporma than the Cef. However I was turned-off when I heard that the galant of this model have a crappy AT, mahina daw ang pang-ilalim, makalampag and guzzler (which something I can accept). Though, I really find the interior very dull. However, I'm really concern about the AT and the kalampag. Is this true? Am I better off with the Cefiro?

TIA

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    parts/maintenance = shark
    at = almost the same
    less kalampagin = almost the same
    aircon = cefiro

LOOKS = shark. ganda fafogiin nyan... pwedeng executive look, pwedeng maangas look. ang cefiro, pang executive look lang talaga.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    This is my friend's experience. Two years ago a close friend bought a 2000 release shark VR4 ... realization of his lifelong dream.

After paying 380k, he's the second owner of a car with barely 30k kilometers on it. Great deal at the time, or at least, that's what we all thought. In the first month he took it to the casa and had the shocks, joints and linkages replaced. About 3 months later the A/T just simply gave way. He wasn't speeding or pushing the car hard, just normal driving.

Anyway, the casa is asking for 120k to replace the A/T plus 10k for labor. Since he has to wait for 3 months for the A/T to be ordered from Japan, we decided to look for alternative parts. We managed to find a surplus A/T in Banawe and it originally cost 50k, but after 1 hour of haggling we got it for 40k.

He got the shark repaired outside the casa and drove it for a year and he finally sold it for 300k.

For the gas guzzling, its true. But then again, its has a 2.0 liter rev happy engine. If you can get past its flaws, the shark is a pleasure to drive. I drove it a couple of times going to Batangas and it easily goes to 160km/hr with no complaints from the engine. I don't even realize I'm going that fast until I look at the speedo.

In the end, its what you need to fulfill within you that counts. While the shark is a rugged and sporty ride, the Cefiro remains an elegant car that will make you feel you've arrived in style (btw, uniformed driver not included in the package ).

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    I have a 1999 Mitsu Galant V6 24Valve Water Cooled, 4 Cycle SOHC 2498cc , 2nd owner po, Got it at P280k (initially it was P320k). I bought it last 9/07. When I had the timing belts changed (last 12/08), the mechanic told me to watch out for the AT! And the same pice (P150k). That was from a CASA also. Now I'm worried .

The cost for the timing belt, water pump assembly, rear brake pads had cost , me around P38k already (CASA rin po). Dang...I dunno if we're bein ripped off..but we are at their mercy so there's nothing we can do.

As for the kalampag...I thought meron also, and so's the mechanic. But when I put out all the stuffs from the trunk (the piyesa na pinagpalitan). The "Kalampag" was gone? Now why would the mechanic told me it was the shocks ready to give? tsk! tsk!

Kalampag naman talaga is prone to arrive when the car has aged eh. Pero mine's still ok. It's the ball joints and assembly is what I'm also worried about.

Check out my other messages (search is useful in these forums) and you'll see what I mean. But overall...I love my GAL! Iba talaga sya!

Also these other sites may be of use to you.

CLUBVR4.COM (Europe based -UK, NZ etc. -first forums na nasalihan ko!)
    GALANTFORUMS.COM (ok dito lotsa pimping!!)
    OZVR4.COM (Australian based)
    THEGALANTCENTER.NET
    MYMITSUPH.COM (RP based -I think may problem sya! I can't register)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just a suggestion... the prices that the CASA charges you is the profit they are expecting to get when they sell a car. They don't expect to survive just on the sales of the car alone. The main bulk of their income is the exorbitant fees on services and over-priced parts they sell you to fix your car.

You can get the same level of service and results by going to car service centers like SPEEDLAB and SPEEDYFIX and other similar shops without getting that robbed feeling after getting back your repaired car.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3 View Post
    This is my friend's experience. Two years ago a close friend bought a 2000 release shark VR4 ... realization of his lifelong dream.

After paying 380k, he's the second owner of a car with barely 30k kilometers on it. Great deal at the time, or at least, that's what we all thought. In the first month he took it to the casa and had the shocks, joints and linkages replaced. About 3 months later the A/T just simply gave way. He wasn't speeding or pushing the car hard, just normal driving.

Anyway, the casa is asking for 120k to replace the A/T plus 10k for labor. Since he has to wait for 3 months for the A/T to be ordered from Japan, we decided to look for alternative parts. We managed to find a surplus A/T in Banawe and it originally cost 50k, but after 1 hour of haggling we got it for 40k.

He got the shark repaired outside the casa and drove it for a year and he finally sold it for 300k.

For the gas guzzling, its true. But then again, its has a 2.0 liter rev happy engine. If you can get past its flaws, the shark is a pleasure to drive. I drove it a couple of times going to Batangas and it easily goes to 160km/hr with no complaints from the engine. I don't even realize I'm going that fast until I look at the speedo.

In the end, its what you need to fulfill within you that counts. While the shark is a rugged and sporty ride, the Cefiro remains an elegant car that will make you feel you've arrived in style (btw, uniformed driver not included in the package ).
    These both cars are of the same class, but different in style. Galant being sporty, while Cefiro being classic. Depends on your taste, but sometimes style comes with age also (). Having driven a GTi and the Shark, I like the GTi than the Shark, it's not because I own a 92 GTi, but you get the push you want. Now back to the question of Shark and Cefiro... I like to have a Cefiro someday, its not because I don't like the Shark... it is because I own a GTi. If I don't have the GTi, I will get the Shark.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    - Parts maintenance: Galant
    - Automatic Transmission: same-same
    - less kalampagin: Cefiro
    - Aircon: Cefiro

My respond is with the assumption that both cars are well maintained. But when the car's status is unknown, you can't be wrong. When buying this car, including Accord or Camry, you have to be ready to spend at least Ph50k. Suspension alone for these class of cars are more expensive because of more complicated design and more parts to replace.
    Tip: the leser oil you see in the engine bay and underneath, the lesser headache you will have.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I (generally) agree na mas madaling papormahin ang Galant shark but I have seen a Cefiro lowered and slapped with 20" dish rims (with 1" lip), PRICELESS!!!

Overall, Cefiro wins for me..... resale value is comparable but performance (engine/tranny/AIRCON) Cefiro leaves the Galant behind.

Taking the chance, I know of a 2005 Cefiro Elite (with Sunroof) being sold for 350k (neg)... PM me if interested.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    cefiro. i think the galant shark is the worst galant that mitsubishi came out with (most problematic).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Galant Shark or Cefiro Elite (99-00)