New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hi,

We recently bought a new Sentra GS A/T (QG16DE engine) and we find the fuel consumption 6km/liter at city driving. It would take me from our home in Cainta to my office at Ortigas center an hour to travel for a distance of about 10 kilometers. I find this to be very high compared to my 1995 Civic ESI A/T which I estimate to consume about 8km/l for the same condition.

We would like to find out the experience of other Sentra users. Is my consumption, given the distance and traffic, rather high or just about average for a 1.6l A/T car?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Medyo malakas nga siya sa fuel if thats the case (try observing it as the mileage wears on as the brake in period usually has a lower fuel mileage din). We had a QG16DE N16 also before and it would average around 7-8+km/L in the city also. Take note though the N16 body is more on the heavy side.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup... mabigat ang kaha ng GS compared sa previous generation (B14) Sentra. But if it's brand new, take heart... your consumption should get better after your first major tune-up (5000km). Tight pa yung engine mo, kaya ganyan.

In the meantime, you can ease your consumption by keeping the OD off in traffic (put it back on for highway travel) and by keeping it in neutral when stopped. Also, keep your tire pressures a little higher than recommended on your door sticker or manual. This helps a bit.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    salamat sa mga reply, pwede bng palitan ng air filter yng bagong sentra GS? napansin k ksi madaming mga sensor ngayn d katulad ng mga ibang na unang models.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How can fuel economy improve by turning off fourth gear (overdrive)?

I can reach 4th even when I'm just going to the nearby grocery store. Won't fuel economy further suffer if you only let it go up to third?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Turning off the overdrive would mean higher RPM's in the other gears which would equate to higher fuel consumption. It might only be benificial if have a heavy right foot in city driving but other than that it should mean higher consumption. Just try to drive economically and engines start to loosen up past the 5K kilometer mark.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Turning off OD in traffic means more effective engine braking, and a lower lock... making it easier to "creep". Once you're in flowing traffic past 60 kph, you turn OD back on.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by silencer
    salamat sa mga reply, pwede bng palitan ng air filter yng bagong sentra GS? napansin k ksi madaming mga sensor ngayn d katulad ng mga ibang na unang models.
    Pwede, but the advice is to clean the MAF sensor with electric contact cleaner every 10,000kms to keep the performance going okay (You'll see some info on this if you search on the 2001-2003 Sentra/Exalta Grandeur, the MAF sensor is mroe sensitive to dirt as compared to the older GA engines)

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    OD off = higher rpm = improve fuel efficiency.....hhhmmmm parang flawed you logic.
    more effective engine break = improve fuel efficiency....hhhmmm teka lang po ha, iniisip ko pa paano nang yari yun.

Nde ba kaya tinawag yung break for breaking...why would you use the engine to break? Bakit hindi mo na lang tapakan yung break kung gusto mo tumigil. My guess is, the most effective way to "creep" and save fuel is to "free wheel" you car.

pasensya na po, limited lang alam ko sa kotse. Paki paliwanag naman po.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, the torque converter lock speed is not affected by the OD switch. The sole function of that switch is to lock out top gear (called the 'overdrive' gear because its ratio is less than 1.000 which is the 'direct drive' gear) when turned off.

Anyways, I just keep it ON all the time. The vehicle is more idiot-proof that way. Kaysa papatayin mo tapos bigla palang ginamit ng driver sa expressway. Paktay!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Fuel Consumption of Sentra GS