New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    well, you're right about that, their marketing pitch the "world is mine" is indeed very catchy, even in their brochures, all streets are named "mine" even restos.

well, considering now that 2.0 up diesel vehicles can be owned at 800k+ as entry-level auv's. i dont see the point that buying a diesel fortuner will bolster one's ego more than a fortuner gas buyer. add to the fact, that the true diesel king of the roads (who can really say that road is mine) are only priced at 300k-400k, that is the jeepneys.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    well, you're right about that, their marketing pitch the "world is mine" is indeed very catchy, even in their brochures, all streets are named "mine" even restos.

well, considering now that 2.0 up diesel vehicles can be owned at 800k+ as entry-level auv's. i dont see the point that buying a diesel fortuner will bolster one's ego more than a fortuner gas buyer. add to the fact, that the true diesel king of the roads (who can really say that road is mine) are only priced at 300k-400k, that is the jeepneys.
    Let me ask everyone here... If you had an extra P1M ('coz the world isn't yours yet, but, the bank sure is) and all you needed was P300K to get a 3.0V instead of a 2.7G, wouldn't your choice be a lot easier?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    para yatang malayong ikumpara ung Fortuner sa Altis.........

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    kung ang habol mo makatipid, dont just think na dahil mas mura diesel ngayon nakatipid ka na. sige try natin compute:

* 300k difference between fortuner gas & diesel, syempre mas mahal din premium ng insurance nun diesel annually

ako I use a gas guzzling 2.0 compact suv, around 1.3k per full tank per week ang gastos ko, multiply this by 4 weeks. naka P5,200 per month ako sa gas. multiply this by 12 months, 62,400 per year. then multiply this again by 3 years (kung kelan lapse na ang 3 year warranty), P187,200.00 na. I used 3 years kasi that's time karamihan nag-iisip ibenta ang kotse, and magastos na kasi mag-maintain wala na warranty.

considering na 2.7 and automatic yun fortuner na gas, baka abot ako 1,600 per week. or if I follow the computation above, P 230,400.

d pa din abot 300k na ilalabas mo kagad pagbili ng diesel. ang mas high maint pa diesel engine ...

I think you have to consider the difference in mileage /L between diesel and gasoline, and also the resale value of the car between 4x2 gas and 4x4 diesel.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when I checked out the trip meter of the Fortuner here is what is indicated:

2.7L VVTi 5.2 km/L
    3.0L D4D 4.4 km/L

well, you have to consider that these were test vehicles. but still... it'll make you think.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by backhoe
    I think you have to consider the difference in mileage /L between diesel and gasoline, and also the resale value of the car between 4x2 gas and 4x4 diesel.
    I really dont rely on mileage/L specs to compute my monthly fuel expense. a lot factors can affect this anyway, such as my driving habits & "urges", my cargo, my passengers or even the weather as applied to airconditioning.

if I am to choose between a gas or diesel fortuner for every day use, I limit my decisions on two things: average monthly fuel expense in peso (take note not in mileage/L consumtion) and of course, invesment. since I got used to spend 5k or more on gasoline on a 6-yr old compact 2.0 suv real-time 4wd, I'm estimating that a new 4x2 gas fortuner will still cost me pretty much in the 5k/mo or more range. now, if for example, I bought a diesel fortuner and I would consume around 4k/mo for my every day use & driving habit. I can save as much as 1k per month or 12k per year or 36k per 3 years. still this does not compensate the outright 300k that I will have to shell out for a diesel fortuner. would rather invest the 300k in some other income-earning activity and still I get to enjoy the "fruits" and benefits of owning a new fortuner

regarding resale, I doubt if 300k will be the selling price difference between a used gas and used diesel fortuner once it hits the buy and sell newspaper ads. biggest difference perhaps would be 200k, but this is only true when the 2nd hand fortuners are less that 3 yrs old. after 3 years, ewan ko na, 100k or maybe less.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    sabi nga ng iba its a truck!....so what can u expect sa gas mileage nya.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    I've been driving my father's 2.5L D4D Innova for a week now, and the mileage is consistently at 8.9-9.0km/L for city-driving. Given that the 4x4 Fortuner is a 3.0L D4D (20% more displacement) and 300kgs (18%) heavier, you could probably expect the mileage of the Fortuner to be 40% less -- 5.4 km/L. But that's with just me in the car driving. That's okay if you're used to driving an old 2.0L CRV or the new 2.5L XTrail.

Because of the Fortuner's weight, you're probably gonna get left behind by these smaller UVs , but then again, with a big and beautiful-looking car like that you can afford to relax a bit and just cruise. Btw, the Fortuner is even heavier than the LC Prado by 75 kgs. Jeesssh!

If anyone here owns a new Prado (you lucky bastard!), please tell us what kind of mileage you get. It should be close to that of the Fortuner.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nomorecrv,

hehe, no question and no doubt. gas fortuners WILL be left behind by compact SUVs even with grandpas driving the latter hehe :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nomorecrv,

I average about 6-7Km/L on my Prado (3.0L 1KZ-TE TDIC). My usual route is Alabang-Makati, sometimes Makati-QC-Makati, then Makati-Alabang. Most of the time, I drive alone, and when I get the chance esp on the Skyway, I let my heavy right foot take over. Hehe! I don't know if this is the same mileage of the Prado owners tho. But I wouldn't be surprised if they had something less than 10Km/L owing to the early boost of the turbo.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Fortuner GAS or DIESEL? Pls. help.