New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hi guys,

To follow-up my previous question between the Fortuner and the Montero, I have another car comparison question: right now, I have a budget of around P1,100,000. This is enough for the Innova G D4D variant (not really a fan of the captain seats of the V) but I definitely like the looks of the current version of the Fortuner. Do you think it's worth stretching my budget (not sure how to do it right now though) to get the Fortuner gas variant?

We are a family of four (myself, my wife and two small kids) but we occasionally go on out-of-town trips with extended family (i.e., my parents, my sisters-in-law and other family members) so the convenience of a seven-seater is really good. Of course, the other priorities would be:

1. fuel efficiency
    2. riding comfort for both myself as the driver as well as my passengers
    3. durability

Hope you guys can share your thoughts on this. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    Hi guys,

To follow-up my previous question between the Fortuner and the Montero, I have another car comparison question: right now, I have a budget of around P1,100,000. This is enough for the Innova G D4D variant (not really a fan of the captain seats of the V) but I definitely like the looks of the current version of the Fortuner. Do you think it's worth stretching my budget (not sure how to do it right now though) to get the Fortuner gas variant?

We are a family of four (myself, my wife and two small kids) but we occasionally go on out-of-town trips with extended family (i.e., my parents, my sisters-in-law and other family members) so the convenience of a seven-seater is really good. Of course, the other priorities would be:

1. fuel efficiency
    2. riding comfort for both myself as the driver as well as my passengers
    3. durability

Hope you guys can share your thoughts on this. Thanks!
    Get what you really want sir. In the end, nothing beats self satisfaction on the purchase. I'm a really big fan of the fortuner. So fortuner gets my vote, but yung diesel variant sana. Medyo uhaw daw based sa mga fellow tsikoteers natin yung VVTi na fort,eh. AT lang ba ang option mo? Ayaw mo nung MT na fort?

Why not consider the Montero Non VGT MT mas malapit sa budget? Even I'm a big fan of fort, Montero nabili ko since budget-wise mas ok sa kin to. IMHO, mas maluwag ang 3rd ng Monty sa Fort...

Nonetheless, Innova or Fort? Its a good car. Good luck TS!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    A friend of mine has an 08 Fortuner VVTi. It drinks gas, but I'd say just as much as one would expect from a 2.7 liter SUV.

That's around 6km/L city driving, it's automatic too.

The Innova wins #1 and #2 of your priorities. While both units wins #3.

The Innova D4D, as I've heard, can do 9-10km/L in the city. But that's probably in moderate traffic.

I really like the Fortuner. I'd get that if I was in your shoes, but if you really consider your priorities, there isn't really a perfect place for the Fortuner right there.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boytsiks View Post
    Get what you really want sir. In the end, nothing beats self satisfaction on the purchase. I'm a really big fan of the fortuner. So fortuner gets my vote, but yung diesel variant sana. Medyo uhaw daw based sa mga fellow tsikoteers natin yung VVTi na fort,eh. AT lang ba ang option mo? Ayaw mo nung MT na fort?

Why not consider the Montero Non VGT MT mas malapit sa budget? Even I'm a big fan of fort, Montero nabili ko since budget-wise mas ok sa kin to. IMHO, mas maluwag ang 3rd ng Monty sa Fort...

Nonetheless, Innova or Fort? Its a good car. Good luck TS!

Thanks for the comments and advice! I don't think I would consider M/T. My daily commute is from QC to Muntinlupa and back. If I drove a M/T, I think I'll end up growing a third leg! So, the diesel Fort is already out of the picture.

The Montero is still being considered also but based on what I've heard and read so far, it appears that Toyota is still more reliable than Mitsubishi (no offense to Mitsu fans out there!). Although to be very honest, I used to like the Monty more than the Fort.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    A friend of mine has an 08 Fortuner VVTi. It drinks gas, but I'd say just as much as one would expect from a 2.7 liter SUV.

That's around 6km/L city driving, it's automatic too.

The Innova wins #1 and #2 of your priorities. While both units wins #3.

The Innova D4D, as I've heard, can do 9-10km/L in the city. But that's probably in moderate traffic.

I really like the Fortuner. I'd get that if I was in your shoes, but if you really consider your priorities, there isn't really a perfect place for the Fortuner right there.

Hmmm... as I mentioned, my daily commute is from QC to Muntinlupa and back. Part of that route is highway driving - from C-5 (past Kalayaan) to SLEX and back. But the rest of the way is city driving with moderate to heavy traffic. I wonder what the fuel efficiency would be for either the gas Fort or the diesel Innova?

In terms of looks and sheer likability, the Fort wins over the Innova several times over for me. However, practicality is also a factor...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Given your budget and priorities, the Innova looks to be the best especially on the FC side if you are getting brand new. The novelty of having a 2-wheel drive Fortuner 2.7L gas will wear off eventually if you ask me; especially once reality (and the fuel bills) start piling in.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hmmm... as I mentioned, my daily commute is from QC to Muntinlupa and back. Part of that route is highway driving - from C-5 (past Kalayaan) to SLEX and back. But the rest of the way is city driving with moderate to heavy traffic. I wonder what the fuel efficiency would be for either the gas Fort or the diesel Innova?

In terms of looks and sheer likability, the Fort wins over the Innova several times over for me. However, practicality is also a factor...
    When I used my friend's Fortuner on heavy traffic, the MID showed a whooping 5.8km/L. Give and take a few points for its accuracy, that's around 5km/L on actual computation.

But that's expected since I never hit 60kph because of the traffic.

I would reckon that the FC, on a mixed condition, would be around 7km/L... 8km/L if lucky. I doubt if it can reach 9km/L given your routes.

Of course the Fortuner wins over the Innova in terms of looks, and probably the "wow" factor from both ordinary people and traffic enforcers (if you know what I mean)

But then again, if you value practicality, there's no reason for you to get the Fortuner over an Innova, because the latter is really practical.

The Fortuner might show its advantage though when the rain starts pouring.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010

If you really prioritize practicality, I would say the Innova is the perfect choice. Decent FC plus the fact that diesel is cheaper than gas.

Looks-wise a new rims would greatly improve Innova's look. IMHO

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    When I used my friend's Fortuner on heavy traffic, the MID showed a whooping 5.8km/L. Give and take a few points for its accuracy, that's around 5km/L on actual computation.

But that's expected since I never hit 60kph because of the traffic.

I would reckon that the FC, on a mixed condition, would be around 7km/L... 8km/L if lucky. I doubt if it can reach 9km/L given your routes.

Of course the Fortuner wins over the Innova in terms of looks, and probably the "wow" factor from both ordinary people and traffic enforcers (if you know what I mean)

But then again, if you value practicality, there's no reason for you to get the Fortuner over an Innova, because the latter is really practical.

The Fortuner might show its advantage though when the rain starts pouring.
    FC = Innova
    SC = Fort?

If you're open to LPG then the Fort is a good candidate for that. When it comes to flooding, how many inches/feet of wading can a gasoline Fort add? If you drive often on the open highways then it's still viable but if you're stuck in city traffic most of the time then the Innova is the clear winner. The money you save you can add OEM 17 inch rims from a Toyota Camry, an OEM roof rail and some small add-ons to make the Innova look nice and clean

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Since the Fort and Innova share chassis architecture, as well as engine-bay layout, the Fort will only add two or three inches of wading capacity to the Innova. Not a big deal breaker. Especially when you consider water deep enough to drown the Innova will be so deep that you won't be able to see the road, and you can potentially get marooned in a pothole with the 2WD Fort, or swept along by the current.

-

The Innova is more practical, period. The diesel Innova will get you around 9-10 km/l where you'd get 6 in the 2.7 Fort. And on cheaper diesel. It's got a more practical cabin, a better ride, and I even like the third row of the Innova better.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast