New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hello. Among the more notable CUVs like the Mazda CX5, Subaru Forester, Tucson and those of Kia, is there a big difference in terms if fuel consumption? I have a gas Pajero and a GS, looking for a CUV as a third car (I wanted a sedan initially, but I feel that at least a CUV is better for us with the floods, potholes and all). I've read the comparisons and I think the ones I've mentioned above would be my options. Is there a significant difference in FC among those models? Do the CRDI units of Hyundai and Kia really save you a substantial amount compared to the CX5s and the Foresters? Or are they negligible enough to concentrate my choice on the basis of performance? Or since we are in the same price range, should I go for the Montero Sport instead? Pasensya na magulo, dami na kasi pag pipilian ngayon. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The CX5 feels like it uses less than comparable crossovers... but this depends greatly on the level of traffic. In very light traffic, the difference is minimal. In moderate to moderately heavy traffic, where iStop works best, there's a big difference. In very heavy traffic, where you don't get a chance to charge iStop as much, there's still a difference, but it's not as big.

Diesels will save you money, but you have to calculate given your personal driving route. In certain traffic situations, the CRDi units are not that much more economical than gas, but still enjoy the big benefit of cheaper fuel. In others, they shine.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Im getting 6.5km/L in my NA forester and getting 7.1km/L in my innova diesel. With the same driving habits and route.

These includes heavy rush hour traffic in katipunan in the morning and uwian ng mga bata in the afternoon, and also trips to the bank waiting in line while the driver waits in the car with AC on. Yeah I know its really a bad habit.

And also while waiting for the kids in school, super tagal din naka on yung sasakyan at naka AC...minsan as long as 45 mins to 1 hour 30 mins.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Niky. I understand your problem Oliver, I've kids as well My gas pajero drives very well, yun nga lang malaking bagay yung fuel consumption. And with the starex, well, I feel the need to have a more nimble vehicle that will do 90% of what our current pair does. That's why I'm looking for a CUV. But unlike before where there were fewer choices, parang commoditized na rin the CUVs especially with cross-licensing arrangements. Na parang at the end of the day, personality-based nalang decision mo and not really on the specific attributes of a vehicle.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    its not so much the fuel consumption...... its the fuel cost. Diesel is cheaper than gas (about 20%). And displacement for displacement, a similar sized CRDi diesel engine is more efficient and frugal than a gas counterpart (probably 15-20% more efficient unless you are comparing against a hybrid or Skyactiv). Of course they are more expensive so there's that to consider.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    In light to moderate traffic, according to the trip computer I average between 11-12km/l, in cruising traffic (e.g. SLEX or C5 on an early Saturday or Sunday), 16-17km/l. Worst experience was during the horrendous rainy C5 traffic a few weeks ago at only 8km/l. Ride is a 2014 Kia Sorento.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Btw Hoover the reason I mentioned the innova is that, thats's the only modern diesel I have and can base my comments in the real world setting. I'm not sure how it stacks up with korean's modern diesels when it comes to FC, but Im betting di naman nagkakalayo siguro.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Since you mentioned kids, floods and potholes, you'd probably want to make the Montero your foremost contender. 7 seater plus more durable underpinnings plus great flood wading capabilities (hood level, proven by my friend's 2012 GLS-V A/T) makes it the most practical choice. Our Strada GLS Sport V gets around 8km/L city driving. It's improved quite a bit from just around 6km/L when it was new.

As for Korean diesels, our 2011 Santa Fe 4x4 gets around 6-7km/L city. Not very fuel efficient, I should say, but considering it's rather short trips, heavy footed driving and some idling, it's pretty reasonable. The excellent engine performance is very much worth it too. The friend I mentioned with the Montero also has a 2013 Santa Fe 4x2, and reports similar fuel consumption, so I'm led to believe that it's not much because of the 4WD.

If you're really into compact CUVs, I'd suggest the Sportage 4x2 CRDi. You get good looks, fuel efficiency and excellent performance. My 2nd choice would be the CX5. Free 3 years casa maintenance and very accomodating casa service makes it a good choice.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yep at the end of the day, if FC and best all around performance and no frills, its gotta be the fortuner, montero, TBZ and the antique Everest.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Sportage CRDi if you need the speed. Montero GLX if you don't or if you care more about space/durability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast