New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Sa tingin nyo, sino kaya sa mga four-dour cars na modelo ngayon ang magiging paborito ng mga tuners in the near future, tulad ng mga SiR civics and B14/13 sentra's?

A. FD Civic - siguro dahil successor siya ng legendary na civic
    B. Lancer EX(GT-A) - best looking of the bunch IMO
    C. Hyundai Accent Blue - pwede din, stylish din at mabilis
    D. Toyota Altis - ive seen alot already, ang ganda nito w/ kits
    E. Nissan Sentra b15
    F. Ford Focus
    G. Mazda 3

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shredingman123 View Post
    E. Nissan Sentra b15
    Wala pong ni-release na Sentra B15 dito sa atin.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In no particular order:

Honda Civic 2.0
    Subaru Impreza 2.0T
    Mitsubishi Lancer EX
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    Ford Focus TDCi

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Honda Civic FD
    Last edited by isa1023; May 2nd, 2011 at 10:13 AM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Honda FD
    Lancer EX GTA
    Ford Focus TDCi - my fave among the bunch.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Compact cars no doubt. Civic FD tops the list.. their list of aftermarket parts are mind-boggling.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Genesis Coupes are relatively cheap, but I don't see secondhand values going down enough to put them into secondhand buyers' hands anytime soon. They might end up like the Miata and 200SX, re-selling for ridiculous amounts years down the line.

If we're talking about average cars that aren't too expensive secondhand and have lots of parts and potential, the FD Civic and the Jazz/City are definite winners in this regard. The Civic 1.8 has its limitations (integrated header and EGT), but it's powerful and user-friendly.

The Focus TDCi is a great car, and parts are available, but it's always going to be a "niche" car. One that everyone talks about but few people have. Still... best potential for least outlay of anything cheaper than a WRX or Genesis Coupe 2.0T. And secondhand MTs are fricking cheap. Just, uh... watch out for blown turbos if the previous owner was careless.

The Mitsubishi Lancer has tons of potential. 152 bhp. With minor bolt-ons, it makes as much power as my fully built Lynx... (about 175-180 bhp) and there are lots of dress-up and handling bits available for it, too. The engine should also be relatively boost friendly (not to EVO levels of power, though). The new 4B11 is one of the few modern gasoline engines that I believe can match the legendary K20 series engine. Just be sure to get an MT to maximize performance potential.

For the new generation of subcompacts, Jazz/City, definitely... though I think tuners would do well to check out the 1.5 liter Mazda2. Great handling out of the box, very lightweight, with great modification potential (it seems like the low power output compared to the competition might be mostly in the ECU programming). The twin-clutch Fiesta is too heavy and the DCT is a limiting factor in turbo modifications. The Accent, still an unknown factor.

Go lower... Celerio. Obviously. Cute. Terrific sounding and punchy 3 cylinder engine. Don't know if parts will become common, but I can see doing a full custom exhaust and intake job on one and achieving good power gains.

-

For cars around five years of age... best buys for cheap performance would be secondhand TDCi MTs (as mentioned), GD Jazz 1.5 MTs (very rare) and Civic 2.0 MTs (even rarer).
    Last edited by niky; May 2nd, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shredingman123 View Post
    Sa tingin nyo, sino kaya sa mga four-dour cars na modelo ngayon ang magiging paborito ng mga tuners in the near future, tulad ng mga SiR civics and B14/13 sentra's?

A. FD Civic - siguro dahil successor siya ng legendary na civic
    B. Lancer EX(GT-A) - best looking of the bunch IMO
    C. Hyundai Accent Blue - pwede din, stylish din at mabilis
    D. Toyota Altis - ive seen alot already, ang ganda nito w/ kits
    E. Nissan Sentra b15
    F. Ford Focus
    G. Mazda 3
    The cars here that I believe are great for this purpose are:
    Civic 2.0S- same basic engine as the Civic Type-R, perhaps we can attain that state or tune and even better?
    Lancer EX GT-A- very good tuner car as seen already. I believe it will be able to reach such iconic status as the Galant GTi, but can the CVT transmission hold huge amounts of power like that?
    Focus TDCi- definitely a good tuner car as proven by its use in the TRS. Besides having great handling, its easy to squeeze power from the diesel engine too.

The Mazda 3 could have been a good choice due to the good looks and great handling if it were not for the underperforming engine. As for the current B16 Sentra, well there is an SE-R Spec V variant of it in the States so it should give pretty good performance if tuned but I haven't seen a tuned B16 yet. Altis? Best left stock IMHO, AFAIK this ain't good for tuning. I'm not so sure as to the Accent, is the suspension worth it? But if I were really to tune an Accent, I'd be going for the CRDi. :devil:

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sabi nila yung Cruze daw ambilis pag kinargahan...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Cruze had potential... terrific chassis and suspension tuning. The big problem is the gearing is too long for the 1.8 liter engine in the manual and the automatic's responses are absolutely turgid. It can be made quicker, but come on... a tuned Cruze still makes less power than a stock Lancer and not much more than a stock Honda 1.8!

The Mazda3's engine is actually pretty good... lots of mid-range torque. Though the top-end could use more "oomph", it's powerful enough. But it's saddled with a four-speed AT with a very long second gear. If it were tighter geared, like the Mazda2... or if they'd at least include a newer 5-speed AT, better. If it were MT, the 2.0 sedan would be perfect.

Big power with the CVT on the Lancer, maybe not... at least not without a TC upgrade... but at least the Lancer also comes with an MT.

The Sentra B16 has lots of potential. It's already pretty quick and light... all you need to do is uncork the engine. Big problem is the price. With so few willing to buy them brand new... what are the chances of them becoming common secondhand?

...okay... price and looks... kind of dumpy looking for a new car...

Too bad about the Altis. The 2.0 motor is absolutely terrific. But the CVT leaves something to be desired in terms of responsiveness, and the suspension needs more work than any of the other cars mentioned here.
    Last edited by niky; May 2nd, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
favorite "tuner" car in the future