New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mazda is also offering Yojin-3 option and that's something. Free maintenance for 3 years is quite some savings, not to mention the fuel efficiency of the SkyActiv engine technology.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yung entry level ng forester 2.0iL is at 1.350, you get the bare essentials but you get AWD and the Xmode.

Now the new mid level trim 2.0 premium is at 1.590. You get an additional sunroof, push start button, cruise control, auto tailgate, leather seats, hill ascent descent, power folding side mirrors, auto headlights and wipers, 5 star crash test and an array of airbags and again an x mode button so that your car can do this

and you can also chase wild animals in africa like this

but you only get 7km/L in city driving, which is comparable to other econo cars.
    Last edited by oliver1013; April 4th, 2014 at 04:57 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mda_ View Post
    I really don't get why the CX5 is priced so much, i'd much rather get a forester. given the choices between the ecosport & sportage, parang mas sulit to go with the sportage. you get more car with the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I used to think this, because if you look at the spec sheets, it seems that the 250k price difference isn't worth it between a CX-5 and a Sportage.

But the build quality of the CX-5 is way above the Sporatage's. Handling is also superior. Power delivery is also better with the CX-5. It is also more spacious. These are all things that are not in spec sheets, but once you drive both, you'd realize that one is really the better car.

Now, between the 1.5M CX-5 and 1.4M Forester, it's really a toss-up. The CX-5 has more power, better handling, and more tech (iStop, push-start, etc). The Forester has bigger space, HID, AWD, traction control. I think you can't go wrong with either, though I would personally go for the CX-5.
    Super agree with this.

Test drive bago pumili. Then you'll feel why the 250K difference between Korean and Japanese cars is well worth it. Feel the materials, look for fit and finish mistakes, katukin nyo ung bawat kanto, drive it, toss it around corners, ram it over bumps, hit the pedal hard. You pay extra for quality on Japanese cars.

Sa CX-5 vs Forester, depende na sa pag gagamitan at sa taste. I like Mazda's design better. Handling is a toss-up. If you're mostly treading urban roads and light off-roads, you're better off with the CX-5. Suspension is balanced, hindi malambot, hindi rin matagtag. It is also VERY economical (compact/sub-compact FC) but you'll miss a bit of power. If you're on to heavy off-roading, the Forester is in it for you but be aware that you're FC will be SUV-like. Suspension is on the firm side though but It is bigger than the CX-5.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Albastru View Post
    Super agree with this.

Test drive bago pumili. Then you'll feel why the 250K difference between Korean and Japanese cars is well worth it. Feel the materials, look for fit and finish mistakes, katukin nyo ung bawat kanto, drive it, toss it around corners, ram it over bumps, hit the pedal hard. You pay extra for quality on Japanese cars.

Sa CX-5 vs Forester, depende na sa pag gagamitan at sa taste. I like Mazda's design better. Handling is a toss-up. If you're mostly treading urban roads and light off-roads, you're better off with the CX-5. Suspension is balanced, hindi malambot, hindi rin matagtag. It is also VERY economical (compact/sub-compact FC) but you'll miss a bit of power. If you're on to heavy off-roading, the Forester is in it for you but be aware that you're FC will be SUV-like. Suspension is on the firm side though but It is bigger than the CX-5.
    you are generalizing that jap cars are better than korean. i too have chosen between the cx5 and sportage. have you test driven the sportage to say the cx5 is better?

how about sportage crdi vs cx5? what turns me off from the cx5 is the front look, mazda service and stiff suspension/reliability coming from a mazda 3.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Are you generalizing that all Mazdas have stiff suspension, and that Berjaya gives the same type of service as FGP? Hehe.
    Last edited by germs; April 7th, 2014 at 02:52 PM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I really don't get why the CX5 is priced so much, i'd much rather get a forester. given the choices between the ecosport & sportage, parang mas sulit to go with the sportage. you get more car with the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by miLes View Post
    you are generalizing that jap cars are better than korean. i too have chosen between the cx5 and sportage. have you test driven the sportage to say the cx5 is better?

how about sportage crdi vs cx5? what turns me off from the cx5 is the front look, mazda service and stiff suspension/reliability coming from a mazda 3.
    I'm sorry if that's how I put it. I'd like to correct my statement, I actually don't mean Japanese cars in general, I am referring to Japanese CBU cars and I'll stand by it. The difference in quality is really noticeable. And yes, I have tested both when I was choosing my first car barely a year ago.

I am not sure if you have tested both but the CX-5 is not a Mazda 3. The dealership will always be different anywhere else. It so happened that from where I am, Kia service is really bad. Here's my recollection of how I sized up Sportage CRDi vs CX-5 2.0L:

Mazda CX-5 (4x2 2.0L) vs Kia Sportage CRDi (4x2 2.0L) in my experience
    Looks - subjective
    Pricing - CX-5 1.495M, Sportage 1.335M (both without discounts)
    Handling - Sportage is light and precise but devoid of any road feel. CX-5 has precise steering with lots of feedback.
    Fit and finish - Quality of CX-5 is better than Sportage
    Size - Almost the same but CX-5's boot space is bigger, not by much though.
    Interior design - CX-5 is plain and simple black. Sportage looks more futuristic and a more relevant look.
    Suspension - CX-5 is supple, not soft since you'll feel the road but not very stiff as it will handle bumps well without shuddering the passengers. Sportage is well suited for urban driving as the suspension is soft and it glides through a good asphalt road but run it over a bump or even a small pothole and everybody inside will feel it.
    Engine response - Sportage diesel engines have way more grunt and power.
    Fuel economy - If both city driving mas matipid konti ang CX-5 (10km/L vs 8km/L of Sportage but offset din ng diesel vs gas price) but if mostly highway, Sportage is more economical.
    Toys - The rest are almost the same, but you get leather seats and rear-view camera on CX-5.
    Safety - CX-5 has 6 airbags and ESP. Sportage has dual airbags only. ESP for Kia is on TOTL variants only.
    Maintenance - Mazda has 3 years free maintenance, labor and parts. A friend who has bought his CX-5 before Yojin3 spends 8-10K per visit at 10,000kms frequency. Sportage, I am not sure but the frequency is every 7,000kms.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Albastru View Post
    I'm sorry if that's how I put it. I'd like to correct my statement, I actually don't mean Japanese cars in general, I am referring to Japanese CBU cars and I'll stand by it. The difference in quality is really noticeable. And yes, I have tested both when I was choosing my first car barely a year ago.

I am not sure if you have tested both but the CX-5 is not a Mazda 3. The dealership will always be different anywhere else. It so happened that from where I am, Kia service is really bad. Here's my recollection of how I sized up Sportage CRDi vs CX-5 2.0L:

Mazda CX-5 (4x2 2.0L) vs Kia Sportage CRDi (4x2 2.0L) in my experience
    Looks - subjective
    Pricing - CX-5 1.495M, Sportage 1.335M (both without discounts)
    Handling - Sportage is light and precise but devoid of any road feel. CX-5 has precise steering with lots of feedback.
    Fit and finish - Quality of CX-5 is better than Sportage
    Size - Almost the same but CX-5's boot space is bigger, not by much though.
    Interior design - CX-5 is plain and simple black. Sportage looks more futuristic and a more relevant look.
    Suspension - CX-5 is supple, not soft since you'll feel the road but not very stiff as it will handle bumps well without shuddering the passengers. Sportage is well suited for urban driving as the suspension is soft and it glides through a good asphalt road but run it over a bump or even a small pothole and everybody inside will feel it.
    Engine response - Sportage diesel engines have way more grunt and power.
    Fuel economy - If both city driving mas matipid konti ang CX-5 (10km/L vs 8km/L of Sportage but offset din ng diesel vs gas price) but if mostly highway, Sportage is more economical.
    Toys - The rest are almost the same, but you get leather seats and rear-view camera on CX-5.
    Safety - CX-5 has 6 airbags and ESP. Sportage has dual airbags only. ESP for Kia is on TOTL variants only.
    Maintenance - Mazda has 3 years free maintenance, labor and parts. A friend who has bought his CX-5 before Yojin3 spends 8-10K per visit at 10,000kms frequency. Sportage, I am not sure but the frequency is every 7,000kms.

Going back to what i said, i said i'd pick the sportage over the ecosport, and the forester over the cx5. i think, despite the size similarities (between the sportage, cx5 and forester), these are three very different vehicles marketed to different kinds of people. obviously, the cx5 and the forester will be more upscale, have better fit and finish etc compared to the sportage (gas model not being the premium model). that's why i compared the cx5 versus the forester.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Going back to what i said, i said i'd pick the sportage over the ecosport, and the forester over the cx5. i think, despite the size similarities (between the sportage, cx5 and forester), these are three very different vehicles marketed to different kinds of people. obviously, the cx5 and the forester will be more upscale, have better fit and finish etc compared to the sportage (gas model not being the premium model). that's why i compared the cx5 versus the forester.
    I think it's the quote "I really don't get why the CX5 is priced so much" that elicit the response. It is like implying that Mazda CX-5 is overpriced when it is in the same price category as the Forester. For me, these two are in the same class both being CBU (higher tax) and upscale for their target market so I understand why their prices are pegged at that range.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Sportage is a pretty nice car, but the drive compared to the Fozzie or CX-5 is a bit dull and heavy.

Also, the rear door is a killer. Know several people who've been injured by that stupid wing-shaped window... one even required stitches.

That said, I think the 2.0 CRDi is one of the best motors in the class. Powerful, economical, lovely torque. And the interior is beyond reproach.

But if you're looking for interior space amongst five seaters, the Japanese have an advantage... unless you include the five-seat basic Sorento.

And honestly, why wouldn't you? Bare as bare can be, but huge, inside and out, and equipped with a 2.2 diesel that can almost give the XT a run for its money.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Sportage is a pretty nice car, but the drive compared to the Fozzie or CX-5 is a bit dull and heavy.

Also, the rear door is a killer. Know several people who've been injured by that stupid wing-shaped window... one even required stitches.

That said, I think the 2.0 CRDi is one of the best motors in the class. Powerful, economical, lovely torque. And the interior is beyond reproach.

But if you're looking for interior space amongst five seaters, the Japanese have an advantage... unless you include the five-seat basic Sorento.

And honestly, why wouldn't you? Bare as bare can be, but huge, inside and out, and equipped with a 2.2 diesel that can almost give the XT a run for its money.
    Ah yes, the sorento. So much space for the size of a compact suv. With the price can afford you a nice set of 20s as an upgrade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
ecosport vs tucson vs sportage all gas and matic variant.