New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Needs expert advise. Which one is better CRDI engines or a 2.0 gas, in terms of performance, maintenance (cost and routine works) and durability? Sad to say, I don't have the deep knowledge about cars, kaya po hingi ako tulong sa mga tsikot masters. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jap_nice View Post
    Needs expert advise. Which one is better CRDI engines or a 2.0 gas, in terms of performance, maintenance (cost and routine works) and durability? Sad to say, I don't have the deep knowledge about cars, kaya po hingi ako tulong sa mga tsikot masters. Thanks.
    crdi engines or i would say diesel engine is design to be tougher than gasoline engines meaning it is more durable than gasoline engine, maintenance if you ask from our gurus and car experts they are the same,performance hmmm...if you are talking to the crdi w/ vgt hands down crdi wins...better comparison of that is the sedan 1.5 gas vs 1.5 crdi w vgt (gas engine-107hp/14+torque...crdi engine-110hp/24+ torque) eventhough crdi w/ vgt is stronger and faster it still fuel efficient than gas...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    tnx po. hopefully meron pa makabigay ng lesson 101 regarding crdi. hintay na lng po ako ng expert advise nyo

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Although diesel blocks are designed to withstand higher compressions and are technically stronger than the common gasoline block, this isn't a rule that can be generalized. Some gasoline blocks are designed to take a tremendous amount of pressure, such as Mitsubishi's 4G63 (and its replacement, the 4B11), the Nissan SR20 and the Subaru FJ20 (hope that's right).

But these engines are expensive. Most gasoline cars of the economy/mass market variety (I assume you're thinking of cars under and around 1m pesos, right?) have lighter engine blocks... designed that way to save weight and increase fuel efficiency. Yes, they're not as strong as the over-built turbo blocks, but you can go 300k kms or more on some of these blocks with proper maintenance.

CRDi vehicles often cost more, feature for feature, than comparable gasoline cars. This is because, for one, these modern diesels are built to tighter tolerances than diesels of old, and the blocks are also over-engineered to withstand the pressures brought about by turbocharging.

Technically, the blocks themselves should last longer, but with CRDi, we have diesel engines that, for once, are more complicated than their gasoline counterparts. Higher injection pressures, turbochargers (which means more engine bay heat), variable geometry turbos in some cases (which increases cost and complexity), particulate filters (not just catalytics like the gasoline cars have) etcetera. These aren't your grandpa's diesels, which were about as sophisticated as an old Ford flathead V8. There are more things that can break now on modern diesels, and when they do, they do so in spectacular fashion, as in the case of the Isuzu Trooper 4JX1.

But aside from that, and the odd D4D problem (still haven't seen any new cases of that, though), many new CRDi engines seem to be about as reliable as the best gasoline engines.

In terms of maintenance costs and wear... Non-turbo gasoline engines will need somewhat less in terms of maintenance, less fluids to worry about, for one... but there are certain items, such as MAF sensors (on cars so equipped) and ignition coils, that can go out in the long term and need periodic replacement. With diesel engines, you have to worry about injector calibration and possibly injector replacement in the long term for CRDis.

Also in the long term is the question of emissions and pollution. Despite modern emissions controls, some CRDi engines tend to start smoking after a while. Good thing we don't have a visual tail-pipe inspection here, otherwise some new diesels would actually fail the test. Less demanding emissions regulations for diesels in the Philippines also helps. Many modern gasoline engines, on the other hand, are immaculately clean. One example that most people don't give a second thought to is the Nissan Sentra's QG engine. This qualifies as a SULEV in Californian trim... which means it is actually cleaner than a first-generation Prius in this trim. If you're an environmentalist who cares about pollution... go buy a Sentra...

In the end, a 2.0 turbo CRDi has better performance and fuel efficiency than a 2.0 non-turbo gasoline engine. But it's also much more expensive to build and buy. Whether it's worth it or not in terms of economy depends on how many kilometers you will put on the vehicle before you sell it or junk it.
    Last edited by niky; May 14th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    modern CRDi VGT like that of Hyundai has its own automatic injector calibrator. Accdg to the SA, it's hydraulic (which im not sure what is heheh). Its injection pressure is about 1800 bars.

2.0 petrol vs 2.0 CRDi VGT? the 2.0 Petrol will get smoked.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Diesel engine
    diesel are better than gasoline
    CRDi

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ang hindi ko lang makasanayan sa diesel ay ang sobrang lakas ng torque kumpara sa HP. It's not really a downside but more of a quirk on my side. Dati pag diesel mabagal umarangkada pero parang delayed mag-menor. Agree ako na naayos na yung former pati na din karamihan ng problema associated with diesels like noise, smoke, etc. Pero yung parang delayed mag-menor hindi ko alam kung solved na or if they even consider it a problem kasi yung torque din ang responsible for enabling diesels to pull heavier loads eh.
    Last edited by pup2; May 14th, 2007 at 02:12 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    tnx po sa mga reply specially kay sir niky. Tama po, around 1M lng ung inaaspire ko na mpv/suv/auv (presently kia carens). Tama pala na mas mahal nga ang price ng crdi kesa gasoline. In lieu of my kainosentehan, I thought porke crdi eh wala na ung issue sa usok in the long run. nandun p din pla . Actually po, di naman ako after sa cars na tatakbo ng sobrang bilis and makakahatak ng trailer ng baka (jok lng po). Pang family lang po and I intend to use it for long. Medyo sikat lng kasing term sa mga thread dito if someone intends to buy a new car is " get the crdi or wait for the crdi" kaya ako napatanong ng todo.

In layman terms tama po ba ang aking pagkaintindi... (same displacement)

1. diesel have more power compare to gas (+)
    2. diesel maintenance and parts is much expensive than gas (-)
    3. diesel is more fuel efficient (+)
    4. diesel engines tends to last longer than gas (+)
    5. diesel initial cost is expensive than gas (-)

salamat po ng marami

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In regards to number 2... this will depend on the engines in question. Truthfully, I don't know how true this is if we're talking Korean gas versus Korean CRDi. But it's not really that much more expensive when it is... you have to pay more attention to maintenance, though... that's for sure.

In regards to number 4... again, it depends. You can run most modern engines up to and beyond 100k kms before you need to do any major maintenance.

About the smoke... although meron, hindi naman siya katulad ng dati. It's just that under heavy loads (full acceleration and sudden acceleration), some modern CRDis still smoke. And some systems are reputedly sensitive to local fuel.

Don't worry... umusok man yung CRDi, di sila mabaho sa loob ng sasakyan katulad ng dati.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jap_nice View Post
    tnx po sa mga reply specially kay sir niky. Tama po, around 1M lng ung inaaspire ko na mpv/suv/auv (presently kia carens). Tama pala na mas mahal nga ang price ng crdi kesa gasoline. In lieu of my kainosentehan, I thought porke crdi eh wala na ung issue sa usok in the long run. nandun p din pla . Actually po, di naman ako after sa cars na tatakbo ng sobrang bilis and makakahatak ng trailer ng baka (jok lng po). Pang family lang po and I intend to use it for long. Medyo sikat lng kasing term sa mga thread dito if someone intends to buy a new car is " get the crdi or wait for the crdi" kaya ako napatanong ng todo.

In layman terms tama po ba ang aking pagkaintindi... (same displacement)

1. diesel have more power compare to gas (+)
    2. diesel maintenance and parts is much expensive than gas (-)
    3. diesel is more fuel efficient (+)
    4. diesel engines tends to last longer than gas (+)
    5. diesel initial cost is expensive than gas (-)

salamat po ng marami

my recommendation: skip thinking all 5 conditions.

basta eto na lang isipin mo: masarap mag-drive ng A/T CRDI sa bumper to bumper traffic. matipid, same as gas ang acceleration, and traffic is something that is common to any Manileno, young, old, rich, middle, poor alike.

best way to beat the odds, get CRDi. convenience, comfort, fuel efficiency, maintenance cost and resale value (coz its diesel). plus if you'll get korean crdi, peace of mind coz low profile pa sya. everyone else is still gaga over japs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
crdi vs gas