12. You may not vote on this poll
  • the classic look of the 1980 vette

8 66.67%
  • the modernity of the 1984

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    The 1984 has more modern advancements and a more modern line while the 1980 still has the classic stingray lines. If you were to choose between the two which would it be?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I really like the C4 Corvette... while the C3 may have more classic lines, the 1980's one isn't as sweet as earlier versions, due to an emissions-strangled engine. If I were going for a Stingray, I'd hit the pre-smog Vettes of the early 70's.

But a C4 would definitely be a sweeter car to drive... more modern, more power, better suspension, etcetera...

To hell with it... if we're dreaming, give me a freaking DOHC-headed ZR1

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I really like the C4 Corvette... while the C3 may have more classic lines, the 1980's one isn't as sweet as earlier versions, due to an emissions-strangled engine. If I were going for a Stingray, I'd hit the pre-smog Vettes of the early 70's.

But a C4 would definitely be a sweeter car to drive... more modern, more power, better suspension, etcetera...

To hell with it... if we're dreaming, give me a freaking DOHC-headed ZR1
    LOL.Would it be possible you think to convert a L98 into a mock ZR1 in terms of performance at least.

Unfortuntately the choice is only between the two that are available to me at the moment. The 1980 and the 1984.

Would it be possible to turn a 1980 into a car with more HP? with perf upgrades?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    or put hi-perf parts on a 1980?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    More HP is easy. It's in handling that it'd be difficult to get the 1980 close to the 1984. But you'd probably never find reason to push the car to its limits, so it's not a big deal. Anong specs and trim levels ng dalawa?

It's up to you. Both would be high maintenance toys, but very classy toys, great for bar-cruising ... and secondhand prices aren't that bad... how much yung budget mo? around 1m plus lang?

----

RE: ZR1 - There are a bunch of differences between the ZR1 and the regular C4, made to accomodate the bigger engine and tires. It may be simpler to just buy the ZR1.
    Last edited by niky; August 30th, 2007 at 06:11 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    More HP is easy. It's in handling that it'd be difficult to get the 1980 close to the 1984. But you'd probably never find reason to push the car to its limits, so it's not a big deal. Anong specs and trim levels ng dalawa?

It's up to you. Both would be high maintenance toys, but very classy toys, great for bar-cruising ... and secondhand prices aren't that bad... how much yung budget mo? around 1m plus lang?

----

RE: ZR1 - There are a bunch of differences between the ZR1 and the regular C4, made to accomodate the bigger engine and tires. It may be simpler to just buy the ZR1.
    Unfortunately no ZR1s yet. Both are matics yet need to inspect further to see what they came optioned with. I can only tell from the VIN that the 1980 has an L48 and the 1984 an L98. Must check my books when I get home to see the HP spec.

Yup a boy has got to have his toys.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Since you mentioned that they were both automatics I wouldn't pick C4's made before 1988 because the automatics of the C4 up until that time were known to be problematic. 1984 was also the model year which had 47,000 Corvette's recalled for cruise control problems. The C3 may be better just based on that alone. However, neither years for the Corvette were exactly great as the C3 was way past it's prime and the 1984 C4 used the same engine as the last generation C3 because the L98 wasn't placed in the Corvette until 1985.
    The L48 was 190hp but easily tuned to 300hp and the L98 with TPI was 230hp.

ZR1's are great but a C5 Z06 could do just as well for a lot less money.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Neither, I prefer the 1st Corvette and the Mako Shark version.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Guys. These are the only choices. The parameters are set and the cars are for evaluation since the circumstances may have me choose only between the two. Try to work with the parameters.

Now will TPI be a prob? Wouldn't an old car using a carb be easier to maintain?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Technically, yes. Older electronic systems aren't that easy to maintain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Which corvette will you prefer? A 1984 or a 1980?