New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Which of the following might be best for a single guy in late 30s, etc?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitsu Lancer EX GTA 2.0L CVT

12 41.38%
  • Ford Focus 2.0L TDCi A/T

12 41.38%
  • Subaru Impreza 2.0RS A/T (sedan)

1 3.45%
  • Subaru Impreza 2.0RS A/T (hatchback)

4 13.79%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    GH, i think the Focus plus mags and tires and few suspension tweaks is still better. That Euro suspenders can be tweaked to performance without much sacrifice in the ride.
    Actually I am leaning towards the Focus because:

-Focus TDCi suspension is uprated/stiffer than the petrol version to handle the heavy engine/tranny.
    -TDCi engine easier to get more HP with minor tweaks (boost pressure & water/alcohol injection) (sleeper mods)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For instant upgradeability, the Focus is better. But in the end, the diesel engine and ECU will hamstring you if you want to push it past 180-200 bhp... some guys who are pushing their TDCis to around 180 whp are getting CELs because the extra power is making the ECU freak out. An Impreza or Lancer would have more potential in this regard, though the automatic gearboxes on both would also be a limit... I wouldn't push the Lancer CVT or the basic Impreza four-speed past 200 bhp either.

Since you know about the pitfalls of diesel and can plan your refueling accordingly, the Focus would probably be better for you. Great box. Great handling. Good ride. And you'll be able to go longer before scratching the "mod itch". Only things needed are better brake pads and nicer mags. And I trust that you'll treat the car gently enough (proper warm-up, cool-down... strictly complying with service intervals) that it won't fall apart right away... :hysterical:

The Subaru 2.0R AT is nowhere near as much fun as the 2.0R MT we drove last year. The lack of active engine braking and the lack of poke from the gearbox make it feel less nimble and involved... and it's embarrassingly slow. Nice cruiser... but that's not what you're looking for... and the Focus is just as good in this regard... and prettier.

The Lancer comes a solid second. You already know how well it handles, and the paddle-shifters are much more responsive than the +/- of the Focus. Only issues are the bare interior and the lumpy ride.

Still can't make the extra for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe?
    Last edited by niky; January 16th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ I agree with sir Niky.

Maybe you could sell one of your vehicles to make it up for the GC. :hihihi:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    ^ I agree with sir Niky.

Maybe you could sell one of your vehicles to make it up for the GC. :hihihi:
    I am selling one of my cars so the new car will replace it. But if I am going to get the GC, that would be on a later time.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I think that the Impreza has compromised too much of its race car heritage and is actually a more compromised car than the jack-of-all trades Civic 2.0S.

But compromised is not something for GH. So go for the two all-out cars, the Lancer and the Focus. Personally I haven't experienced the latter but from all I've heard and read, it doesn't go as fast as its looks. But perhaps that's because it looks so damn good. Also the extra 100k+ on the GT-A is a negative point.

So Focus it is for you. I personally don't like the interior, and the exterior isn't much better either, but I'm sure that for you, those are trivial when compared to the benefits of the TDCi engine and the DSG transmission.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    So Focus it is for you. I personally don't like the interior, and the exterior isn't much better either, but I'm sure that for you, those are trivial when compared to the benefits of the TDCi engine and the DSG transmission.
    The interior is kinda all black and a bit bland... but it is the same interior style treatment you get with the entry level euro cars like the BMW or Benz anyway. And the leather seats in the Focus is much better than the fabric seats in the GTA.

The exterior is neutral in styling, but I do need something that can be used for driving around business-related visitors than my current modded out Corolla. I do still plan to keep my Sentra/SR20 so weekend fun is just a car swap away.

And the engine... the TDCi and DSG combination does mean it can deliver on some driving excitement on it's own.

Plus the uprated suspension (to handle the heavier engine/tranny) gives good handling as well, although it results in a rather more stiffer ride than the gasoline powered Focus.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Goodbye LPG and hello diesel it is, then. :P

Good luck on your Focus GH. I think it's perfect for you.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I think that the Impreza has compromised too much of its race car heritage and is actually a more compromised car than the jack-of-all trades Civic 2.0S.
    It's not bad in MT. It actually still has that rally feel, just buried under layers of body roll... and it can still do the four-wheel drift thing (as long as you have a road dusty or greasy enough).

But the AT... just... no. Hell no.

But compromised is not something for GH. So go for the two all-out cars, the Lancer and the Focus. Personally I haven't experienced the latter but from all I've heard and read, it doesn't go as fast as its looks. But perhaps that's because it looks so damn good. Also the extra 100k+ on the GT-A is a negative point.
    The Focus? Have tested multiple DCTs. About 9.2-9.3 seconds to 100 km/h. (ESP off) Just about 4/10ths of a second slower than the MT. And much quicker than all the other 2.0s at most speeds due to the extra overtaking shove of the variable geometry turbos. Most of the other 2.0 ATs do the business in 10.5 seconds or so (the Honda presumably in the mid-9s... have only tested the 1.8 AT) and the Subaru does it in 12.

Within the next two or three months, we hope to test the acceleration of a fully modified dual-clutch TDCi. If it won't do 8-flat, I'll be disappointed. We did a fully modified MT and it got 8.3 in semi-wet conditions with a tuning issue and a check-engine light. From the way it went from 60-100, it should have been doing low-7s in perfect conditions.

Interior is better than everything but the Civic and the Impreza. Dark... but the build is very solid and the seats are great... yes, the back seats suck... but that's what hotel rooms are for... :hysterical: ...the exterior... well... a good set of mags will cure that...
    Last edited by niky; January 18th, 2010 at 02:14 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    One suggestion.

The 2.5L CRDi powered Hyundai i30. With a striking price of php1.048M.

I know that the focus can beat that expensive thing. But if rarity is what you want, maybe this is the vehicle for you. :hihihi:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    One suggestion.

The 2.5L CRDi powered Hyundai i30. With a striking price of php1.048M.

I know that the focus can beat that expensive thing. But if rarity is what you want, maybe this is the vehicle for you. :hihihi:
    You might have gotten it wrong.

Hyundai i30 1.6L CRDi M/T = P1,048,000

http://www.auto-searchphilippines.co...PriceList.html

I am not after rarity. Rarity means it will be a pain to maintain in the long term due to parts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Comparisons: Lancer EX GTA vs Ford Focus TDCi A/T vs Subaru Impreza 2.0R A/T