New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Hi!

I would like to get your inputs lang sana on what would be the best vehicle for a girl. I am choosing among these 3 -- CRV, Civic and City. I am somehow confused on what to get because of several reasons.

CRV: A number of cases have been reported na nananakaw or naccarjacked. Scary naman if I'm driving alone lang tapos ganun mangyari. So more of a safety issue why I am hesitant to buy the CRV. However, based sa performance and looks, CRV is really at the top of my list.

Civic: Okay sana as a replacement for CRV in terms of performance (though lower engine) and looks, pero it seems that they will be changing the body of the Civic this year or next year kasi medyo matagal na na ganun yung body nya.

City: Okay, new body pero basic car lang. Advantage over the Civic is the fuel consumption and side turn lamps.

Oh and by the way, I am also looking at the Tucson. However, with regard to the resale value and engine performance, I am not sure if it is at par with Honda.

Your suggestions/comments will be very much appreciated! Thanks much!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    city nalang para matipid and madali i park

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The City is a good solo car. Costs less up front, costs very little to maintain (10,000 kilometer service intervals, small engine uses little oil, etcetera...) and costs very little to gas up. Interior space is very good. It's now wider than before, so it's easily on par with most mid-90's and up compacts, despite being a subcompact.

The Civic is a great car. Powerful 1.8 (faster than the CR-V 2.0, as quick as the CR-V 2.4), great interior space, great fit and finish. Stiff ride and seats. If that last part is okay with you (test drive, first), then you'll be happy with this car.

On paper, the Tucson's engine specs are better than the CR-V's. We haven't driven them side-by-side yet, though.

The CR-V is a better car. Wider, more interior space, bigger trunk, better interior materials. But the Tucson is pretty nice for the price... just 1m... and already comes with a sophisticated 6-speed automatic (versus the CR-V's 5-speed). Seats are also softer than the base CR-V's (which are stiff). Whether the CR-V's seats are too stiff for you, you won't know until you test drive. (They're not as stiff as Civic seats, so if you don't mind the Civic, CR-V seats will be good).

-

Carnap problem: Have you ever been carnapped? I haven't. I drive three Crosswinds (which are also supposedly "takaw-carnap"), one CR-V and I've driven numerous test units by Toyota (which are supposedly "takaw-carnap"). I've never had problems in this regard. Biggest issue I've ever had is being caught for coding. The best way to prevent this: 1: Mirror-tints, 2: Don't drive alone late at night in out-of-the-way areas... whether you're a guy or a girl, that's something that really helps.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    City of course..Maganda sya at practical sya..In 1.5E A/T please!!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The City gets a lot of things right and it's my favorite of the bunch. Comfortable, deceptively roomy, easy to drive and see out of, very peppy and cheap to run - there's very little not to like about it. Don't knock it for being basic, too; it means you can focus on your driving and not on other things that can cause you to crash. As much as I like the City, however, it's just not at its best mated to an automatic. Regardless of engine, the overly wimpy transmission just saps and hides the potential of the car, which is a shame.

The Civic's R18A1 engine is a far better match for the automatic transmission it carries and how it's programmed (in a lot of ways, it feels the City and Civic share the same smooth-shifting auto gearbox). However the car itself has grown too "big" and unwieldy, and is pretty hard to drive in tight confines - and by that I mean 90% of Manila traffic. Visibility and consequently close-quarters maneuverability are not its strong points. It feels it would rather be cruising on a highway where it could avoid having to rub fenders with other cars.

The CR-V is merely okay compared to the two others. I've never been fully convinced about the virtues of the CR-V as a Honda, and this third-generation model doesn't do anything to change my mind. The best thing I can say about it is it's the most car-like of the compact SUVs so far, but that also means it's neither fish nor fowl and it has to defer to its smaller brothers. Get it only if you really need the load-lugging capacity.
    Last edited by Type 100; February 15th, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Thanks everyone for your inputs!

I have decided (finally!) on getting the 1.5E AT City instead. I've put reservation already and might be able to get it this weekend if the color is available.

Thanks thanks!

City, Civic and CRV