New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Hi guys and gals!

Profile:
    I have a 2007 Tucson and a 2006 City. THere are six in our household. Me, Wife, 9 year old daughter and 2 year old daughter. Plus my mom and aunt who are both senior citizen.

Budget:
    Wife have an upcoming car purchase benefit from her company. About 900K.
    We are planning use this benefit (may have to add a few more grand) and sell the City.

Currently, we are torn between Honda Civic 1.8S and Grand Livina.

Basically, its either a juiced up compact (ie. Civic) with two rows . . . or a bit ugly, but practical 3-row Livina . . .

I was hoping you can help us decide as we don't have much knowledge with these two . . . unless you have a better option that fits in the budget..

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Really depends what you need eh.

If you'd like the person hauler, I'd go on a limb and say Innova nalang. Mas practical kung sa practical.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Sedans,even as nice as a Civic, offer severe limitations as a people hauler.

The 5+2 Livina is basically a trimmed estate (or station wagon). Space-wise the 3rd row is only good for children. The Carens would be a bigger, albeit, pricier alternative.

AUV offer a bigger alternative for the occupants. But the trade-off is in the front that has the steering wheel. Obviously, it does not drive like a sedan.

Some may see AUVs as less appealing because it is so pedestrian. A 7-seater SUV is such an upgrade but for a higher price, of course. But the ingress/digress may not be lola/lolo-friendly.

You can also consider the larger MPV like Grandis, Carnival, and Previa. But they are priced like a mid-sized SUV.

If you could afford a driver or is willing to drive long vehicles, get a van.

----

Personally, for a budget of less than a million, Innova E (or the accesorized SR equivalent) seems to fit your needs.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    a sedan is out of the question with the number of people in your family...

if you're going for the innova, watch out for the dying D4D syndrome and the imploding VVT-i gas tank

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Sedans,even as nice as a Civic, offer severe limitations as a people hauler.

The 5+2 Livina is basically a trimmed estate (or station wagon). Space-wise the 3rd row is only good for children. The Carens would be a bigger, albeit, pricier alternative.

AUV offer a bigger alternative for the occupants. But the trade-off is in the front that has the steering wheel. Obviously, it does not drive like a sedan.

Some may see AUVs as less appealing because it is so pedestrian. A 7-seater SUV is such an upgrade but for a higher price, of course. But the ingress/digress may not be lola/lolo-friendly.

You can also consider the larger MPV like Grandis, Carnival, and Previa. But they are priced like a mid-sized SUV.

If you could afford a driver or is willing to drive long vehicles, get a van.

----

Personally, for a budget of less than a million, Innova E (or the accesorized SR equivalent) seems to fit your needs.

Hehehe, can't afford ng driver eh . . . most of the time, alternate with wife sa long drive . . . medyo iwas din ako sa Van dahil driver at front row passenger ang bumper nito . . .

I have no issues with AUV . . . its just that

Crosswind review aint that good (Drives like a tub daw) . . . nakapag-convoy din kami ng mga in-laws ko . . . steady lang si tucson sa 100-120kmh sa NLEX, pero hirap na hirap na daw sa 100KM ang crosswind ....

Adventure ... no automatic option . . . plus I get the chance to drive my (former) boss' adventure at parang ang bigat . . .

Innova . . . its a very good candidate against Livina . . . problem is, 1M+ ang d4d automatic . . . does anybody know if they are giving out cash discounts?
    GL is very tempting due to the new Easy Drive Promo (DVD+Bluetooth+GPS+body kit) at P30K cash discount . . .

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    You don't need to get the D4D in fact I discourage you to do so. Get the VVTi, I think Innova > GL.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Get the Kia Carens. Itrade mo nalang city mo sa Kia.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    kung civic vs gl lang sa gl kna. pero kung open ka sa ibang option sa carens or innova ok din. mas mahal nga lang ng konti

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    You don't need to get the D4D in fact I discourage you to do so. Get the VVTi, I think Innova > GL.
    Innova is really good, despite the increasing number of reports regarding D4D choking and VVTi Gas Tank Implosion, problem is FC of 8KMH . . . OK lang siguro sa Diesel at ~P32/Liter (or P4/KM) . . . pero for Gas at P44/Liter (or P5.5/Liter).

Wife is in field sales, travelling more than 500KM/week . . . so taking economy of scale . . . aabot ng P2750/week if I go for a Gas Innova . . .

By the way, can anybody confirm if GL really average at 10KM/L city driving?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    There is always a trade-off between power and fuel economy. Just pick which traits you can live with.

I think the 8 km/liter seems a bit low for an Innova. But I don't live in Metro Manila anymore.

Agree. The Crosswind has a wallowy ride. But it can manage 100 kph with ease save probably on the inclines. Acceleration? Mabagal, but what can you expect for 85 hp output engine. More so if its an AT.

Fuel economy? That's where the Crosswind shines. Maintenance cost? Stellar also on this aspect.

Carens would have been better but very pricey for your budget. The gas variant was phased out few years back.

If you do not want an Innova, I guess the smallish GL is fine. I just remember one tsikoteer here put a roofrack and carrier on his GL because of the limited space the GL can offer.

Check the GLthread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help me choose for 900K+ budget: Civic or Livinia or ?