New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My only beef with the Aveo is the quality of the engine and transmission, and its lack of interior design and quality compared to the Rio or City.

As for build quality, that would really depend on where final assembly takes place. Build quality for the initial batches of Honda City vehicles was suspect because they're not direct from Japan, but like BlueBimmer says, this may have been solved with the facelift...

Kia Rios are all built in Korea, and build quality looks passably good. As for Aveos, Daewoo wasn't known for quality in construction or engineering when they died, and there's no word yet on how these new "Chevrolet" Daewoos hold up in the long-term. I wasn't particularly impressed with the plastics on the showroom models I've seen (but it's not as bad as the Chevy Spark), and I found it strange that on two Aveos in the showroom I visited, none of the plastic windshield moldings lined up with the panels, either... But at least the interiors don't seem any cheaper than Honda's or Kia's.

US Aveos may not be assembled in the same place as our local ones, but they're used to terrible build quality on domestic cars (that's asking for flames... ), so something as cheap as the Aveo that doesn't fall apart (and there, it's REALLY cheap) is bound to be well-accepted. And it does acceptably well there. Here? We're still getting over our paranoid fear of self-destructing Daewoos (ever wonder why a secondhand Espero costs even less than a Kia Pride?), so most people won't give the Aveo the benefit of the doubt.

Me? I think it's okay, but the Honda City is an exceptional car, and the Kia Rio is a more modern and better design. The Aveo is just simply... old.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The Aveo rear seats are really cramped. I took the trouble to measure the interior dimensions of the Aveo and City. The City is a much better deal. Or get a Jazz.

If you get the Aveo, your eventual back-seat passengers will not be happy campers. Plus the City has fantastic cargo-carrying capacity. The Jazz is better. And the 1.3L City/Jazz have an arguably better engine than the Aveo.

The Aveo does have dual airbags and ABS.. but it also got a 1-star EURO NCAP crash rating.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    basing on looks, aveo ako. pero like everybody says, honda city subok na.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Best value car is still the City, Resale value pa lang talo ka na sa Aveo. PLus The City's ULT seats are great for hauling different types of cargo if you still don't have kids. The City also has better mileage compared to the Aveo, and parts ae cheaper for the City. The only advantage of the Aveo is its Airbags and ABS as standard.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    casa report hehe. since it was a holiday today, my wife and i went to alabang to check out the honda and chevrolet dealerships.

first we went to honda and i was surprised at the friendly nature of the agent - i heard they were snobs. he did his job, explained a lot about the car (the ULT seats, sequential mode of the cvt etc.) and even drove us around the compound in a demo unit. we are scheduled for a test drive on sunday.

after that we went to chevrolet. there was no one there except for the guard! he was friendly enough to let us in and poke around the aveos there. was kinda disappointed because i went there on monday and specifically asked the agents if they will be around on Tuesday. they said yes.

anyway, we like the honda city.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    My only beef with the Aveo is the quality of the engine and transmission, and its lack of interior design and quality compared to the Rio or City.

As for build quality, that would really depend on where final assembly takes place. Build quality for the initial batches of Honda City vehicles was suspect because they're not direct from Japan, but like BlueBimmer says, this may have been solved with the facelift...

Kia Rios are all built in Korea, and build quality looks passably good. As for Aveos, Daewoo wasn't known for quality in construction or engineering when they died, and there's no word yet on how these new "Chevrolet" Daewoos hold up in the long-term. I wasn't particularly impressed with the plastics on the showroom models I've seen (but it's not as bad as the Chevy Spark), and I found it strange that on two Aveos in the showroom I visited, none of the plastic windshield moldings lined up with the panels, either... But at least the interiors don't seem any cheaper than Honda's or Kia's.

US Aveos may not be assembled in the same place as our local ones, but they're used to terrible build quality on domestic cars (that's asking for flames... ), so something as cheap as the Aveo that doesn't fall apart (and there, it's REALLY cheap) is bound to be well-accepted. And it does acceptably well there. Here? We're still getting over our paranoid fear of self-destructing Daewoos (ever wonder why a secondhand Espero costs even less than a Kia Pride?), so most people won't give the Aveo the benefit of the doubt.

Me? I think it's okay, but the Honda City is an exceptional car, and the Kia Rio is a more modern and better design. The Aveo is just simply... old.
    We just expect entry level cars to be more disposable than others so expectations on quality tend to be really low. I'm not sure if it's even in the same price range or category but why not a Hyundai Matrix, I was impressed when I saw one when I visited last year it's not as pretty but it sure has alot of room.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    i've been driving my honda city 1.5 cvt a.t for 1 1/2 yr now no regrets about it economical and nice handling.bought it from honda sn pablo since i live in quezon prov.ok na ok after sales service nila it's my 1st car and i love it

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually... though these things are really cheap (ika-nga, disposable)... here, comparative to the income of the buying public, they're not, thus, it's easy to be overly critical of the lack of quality... because we tend to keep them longer. In fact, quality is even more critical because of the harsh conditions. While you could conceivably drive a car for over 150,000 miles to 300,000 miles there (not often, but it's possible), at 100,000 kilometers, most cars here start to deteriorate.

Regarding the Matrix: It's roughly in the same price class, and yes, it's pretty big. The only downsides are the easily scratchable plastics and the quality of the controls, but otherwise, it's a very sensible choice in this category (it's the only one with a rear power socket, for example... very handy at the beach when inflating water toys).
    Last edited by niky; May 2nd, 2007 at 12:38 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    compact or sub compact cars retain the best value here especially the ones equipped with small 1.1 or 1.3 engines and to an extent 1.6 engines (other than diesel AUVs n SUVs which command great resale value), compared to midsize sedans, big petrol suvs, luxury euro sedans etc.

just look at depreciation in cars with big petrol engines here, unless you're rich, nakakahinayang ang hundreds of thousands of pesos depreciating away every year. even some rich chinese businessmen do not want that kind of money being thrown away, kaya some prefer to drive in diesel auvs hehe

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Regarding the Matrix: It's roughly in the same price class, and yes, it's pretty big. The only downsides are the easily scratchable plastics and the quality of the controls, but otherwise, it's a very sensible choice in this category (it's the only one with a rear power socket, for example... very handy at the beach when inflating water toys).
    seems like the hyundai dealers are no longer selling the matrix..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
chevy aveo sedan vs honda city