New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi guys, we are choosing between the Spin or the EcoSport. I know that these two vehicles belong to different classifications and some of our needs pretty leans toward the Spin, I would like to know what is your view between the two and what would be the best choice given a set of criteria:

From my research and some interview with my car enthusiast friend he prefer the Spin over the EcoSport because of the following:

1. Spin's fuel economy is excellent
    2. Spin is a 7-seater which is suitable for us if ever our other 7-seater vehicle breaks down
    3. Spin's engine power is good considering it has only a 1.3 liter (1.2 on the spec sheet) engine displacement
    4. Diesel engine

Now, why are we considering EcoSport, because of the following:

1. EcoSport's look is really good, beautiful in and out
    2. Has better looking dashboard and it feels like a fiesta but has an SUV looking exterior
    3. Has an automatic transmission variant

We really want an automatic this time but I realized the clutch of the Spin is not really hard, I think it will not be that tiring to drive in a traffic condition.

I have already test driven the Spin and I can say that the engine is good, you can leave it rolling in 2nd gear (since it is diesel) and sometimes in 3rd gear if the terrain is flat. I am looking forward to trying out the EcoSport this week.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I would recommend getting the Spin instead

As for engine transmission of the EcoSport, it shares the same one as the Fiesta, which is one thing that I don't like about our car. The DCT has some problems determining whether to downshift or not, so there is some tugging that occurs whenever you try to accelerate from rest. I haven't test driven the EcoSport so I may be wrong about this, I'm saying this from our experience with our 2014 Fiesta. Try test driving the EcoSport and see how it feels.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie Anson Ng View Post

As for engine transmission of the EcoSport, it shares the same one as the Fiesta, which is one thing that I don't like about our car. The DCT has some problems determining whether to downshift or not, so there is some tugging that occurs whenever you try to accelerate from rest. I haven't test driven the EcoSport so I may be wrong about this, I'm saying this from our experience with our 2014 Fiesta. Try test driving the EcoSport and see how it feels.
    Is it really that bad?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    At high speeds you don't really notice it, but when in stop and go traffic it gets annoying and makes you think there's something wrong with your car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ^ parang yan nga palagi complain ng mga nakadct, an a/t shouldn't behave that way in any driving condition.

Sent using Pera Padala

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 170kphlang View Post
    ^ parang yan nga palagi complain ng mga nakadct, an a/t shouldn't behave that way in any driving condition.

Sent using Pera Padala
    Yup, apparently "normal" behavior raw ito since nag-aadjust palang daw siya sa driving style ng driver, pero naka ilang buwan na kaming hawak niyan and parang mas frequent pa ngayon occurence niya kesa nung unang hawak namin siya.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    is this an issue only on ford's dct or kahit ibang brand na naka-dct ganun din?

Sent using Pera Padala

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    TopGear UK complains about DCT-equipped cars when driving in the city. Even the Aston Martin wasn't spared. Take it out on the highways though....

The TCU of the DCT is trying to balance smoothness and clutch wear. Para syang newbie driving a manual for the first time.
    Last edited by JohnM; February 10th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 170kphlang View Post
    is this an issue only on ford's dct or kahit ibang brand na naka-dct ganun din?

Sent using Pera Padala
    As far as I am aware only Ford's DCTs are experiencing this issue. I haven't been to other threads regarding this kasi Ford lang ata ang gumagamit ng DCT na nasa range ng average consumer. It also might be Ford specific since other countries with users experiencing this jerky acceleration label it as Powershift issue rather than a general dct issue.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie Anson Ng View Post

agree with this. kaya kung ako, manual ang pipiliin ko sa ecosport. pero since manual din yung chevy spin. dun na lang ako. fuel efficient. ang fiesta di naman masyado fuel efficient. i wonder what will be the figure of this ecosport. may extra 2 seats pa sa likod ang spin.

plus. di natin alam baka parehas sa ranger at explorer yung ecosport na may DI wag naman sana.

pero sa spin parang konti lang ata ang dumadating na stock (not sure with this)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast