New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    hello everybody!

I am planning to buy my first car. At Last!!! Due to budget constraints(300k) im considering a secondhand car. I am still learning to drive so the convenience of using an A/T is preferable.

I am in the dilemma of what car to buy. I am not so particular about specifications of cars. But one thing's for sure i want a fuel-efficient car, a car that looks good, basta yung d ako bibigyan ng sakit ng ulo.

I've seen a chevy optra 2004 for a 280k neg price. is that a good buy? I've heard about its costly gas consumption and a poor interior, so im quite hesitant.

Im also considering a honda and toyota car. or any good car model that is above year 2003.Is it possible? what can you recommend?

I've waited and saved for ages for this. I want to get something good out of my hard earned money.

Thank you so much!!!! I will so much appreciate your advices and comments!!

Have a great day!

ED

2. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    2001-2003 honda es vti but its priced at 350k pa

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    Here are some vehicles you might want to consider (2003- above):

Toyota Vios - Your budget can get you a first generation model but you may have to add a bit more. Modern features, fuel efficient, tons of spare parts. If you want an automatic variant Vios, only the 1.5G trim has it. Expensive but worth it. Availability: 2003-2007.

Toyota Corolla Altis - A bit big than the Vios, but still fuel efficient, and reliable. Same as the Vios, you may have to add more. Expensive, but really worth it. There are numerous Corollas with automatics in the second hand market. 2001-2004 models fit your budget.

Nissan Sentra - For the price, you can get a recent model Sentra. They have a roomy cabin, a very cold aircon, and spare parts are abundant. Same with the two above mentioned vehicles, you may have to add more.

Honda City - You can get a 2003-2006 model for the price. Fuel efficient, has a flexible interior, and the vaunted Honda reliability. The City has a CVT transmission (similar to an automatic) but there are tons of problems regarding that (try googling it).

Honda Civic - The Civic for your model year preference is a bit heavy than the previous Civic EK. And prices are a bit high so if you want one, you need to add more.

Mitsubishi Lancer - Same with the City, it has a CVT transmission, but try to have a test drive of the prospect unit if it has any problems. Otherwise, you get a lot of features for the money and if you're into modifying, the Lancer has numerous accessories.

Ford Lynx - Feature loaded for the money, but the Lynx is less fuel efficient in automatic guise than some of its competitors. Don't worry about the notion "Ford, hirap maghanap ng spare parts", try in Banawe for hunting.

Hyundai Getz - Small car with amazing fuel consumption. But only the 2005 1.3 GL, and the later 1.4L has automatic transmission. Automatics are a bit hard to find.

Kia Picanto - Fuel efficiency is top notch, so as the quality. But good luck finding an automatic variant. Since manuals are more common for the Picanto

Honda Jazz - Pricey but still fits the 300k range. CVT's are problematic so watch out for the unit.

Happy Shopping!!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    300 will get you all the top picks manufactured between 1996-2001 i guess.

these include the 1996-1999/2000 civics, corollas and nissans

i'm inclined towards the 99 civic a/t. acquire for 220-250, spend the rest to make the car run reliably (fix kalampag, fluid change, brakes, engine temp, aircon, etc).

if you're lucky, you can get a really well maintained unit so you'll spend the change on whatever accessories you like (uso pa ba bayo-bayo soundz ngayon?).

i'm told na ginto ang presyo ng piyesa ng chevy so i can't recommend the optra to you.

if you're the type who's after power, prestige and interior space, you can get early model accords, camrys and cefiros. i fall into this category... i like smooth riding cars i can bring to far places with lots of space and power. but these bad boys aren't exactly fuel efficient so they may not be for you... maybe when you're older and starting your climb up the corporate ladder.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    try to check yung mga cars ng bank na for auction. I won a 2007 vios 1.3 for just 315K. So you can get below P300K pa if matiyaga ka maghanap. PSbank yung sa akin dati.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thank you for that thorough enumeration of possible cars sir. im starting to think of getting an altis...i like it also. I actually like it more than the vios. The thing is i might add more to the budget.But it is worthy, isnt it?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fs_edd View Post
    Thank you for that thorough enumeration of possible cars sir. im starting to think of getting an altis...i like it also. I actually like it more than the vios. The thing is i might add more to the budget.But it is worthy, isnt it?
    yes definitely worth it IMO.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Here are some vehicles you might want to consider (2003- above):

Toyota Vios - Your budget can get you a first generation model but you may have to add a bit more. Modern features, fuel efficient, tons of spare parts. If you want an automatic variant Vios, only the 1.5G trim has it. Expensive but worth it. Availability: 2003-2007.

Toyota Corolla Altis - A bit big than the Vios, but still fuel efficient, and reliable. Same as the Vios, you may have to add more. Expensive, but really worth it. There are numerous Corollas with automatics in the second hand market. 2001-2004 models fit your budget.

Nissan Sentra - For the price, you can get a recent model Sentra. They have a roomy cabin, a very cold aircon, and spare parts are abundant. Same with the two above mentioned vehicles, you may have to add more.

Honda City - You can get a 2003-2006 model for the price. Fuel efficient, has a flexible interior, and the vaunted Honda reliability. The City has a CVT transmission (similar to an automatic) but there are tons of problems regarding that (try googling it).

Honda Civic - The Civic for your model year preference is a bit heavy than the previous Civic EK. And prices are a bit high so if you want one, you need to add more.

Mitsubishi Lancer - Same with the City, it has a CVT transmission, but try to have a test drive of the prospect unit if it has any problems. Otherwise, you get a lot of features for the money and if you're into modifying, the Lancer has numerous accessories.

Ford Lynx - Feature loaded for the money, but the Lynx is less fuel efficient in automatic guise than some of its competitors. Don't worry about the notion "Ford, hirap maghanap ng spare parts", try in Banawe for hunting.

Hyundai Getz - Small car with amazing fuel consumption. But only the 2005 1.3 GL, and the later 1.4L has automatic transmission. Automatics are a bit hard to find.

Kia Picanto - Fuel efficiency is top notch, so as the quality. But good luck finding an automatic variant. Since manuals are more common for the Picanto

Honda Jazz - Pricey but still fits the 300k range. CVT's are problematic so watch out for the unit.

Happy Shopping!!
    Thank you so much for the advice.me, being not so expert on cars, this is very useful...but if you were on my shoes sir, having that budget, which among these cars is the best. Which would you personally pick and buy?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    300 will get you all the top picks manufactured between 1996-2001 i guess.

these include the 1996-1999/2000 civics, corollas and nissans

i'm inclined towards the 99 civic a/t. acquire for 220-250, spend the rest to make the car run reliably (fix kalampag, fluid change, brakes, engine temp, aircon, etc).

if you're lucky, you can get a really well maintained unit so you'll spend the change on whatever accessories you like (uso pa ba bayo-bayo soundz ngayon?).

i'm told na ginto ang presyo ng piyesa ng chevy so i can't recommend the optra to you.

if you're the type who's after power, prestige and interior space, you can get early model accords, camrys and cefiros. i fall into this category... i like smooth riding cars i can bring to far places with lots of space and power. but these bad boys aren't exactly fuel efficient so they may not be for you... maybe when you're older and starting your climb up the corporate ladder.
    Ginto pala talaga ang optra?..I gues i might have to drop this option. Thank you so much!!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    try to check yung mga cars ng bank na for auction. I won a 2007 vios 1.3 for just 315K. So you can get below P300K pa if matiyaga ka maghanap. PSbank yung sa akin dati.
    Wow. That's a good buy! I've been hearing about these auctions. I just dont know how to go about it and find it. Are there any issues with the cars in their auctions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Buying my First Car: 300k budget