New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    Hi guys, i plan to buy my first car ever by the end of this year or early next year. I will only be paying 30% of the total price, and the rest, will be in installment basis.

I plan to buy a brand new car, i'm thinking Honda City or Ford Fiesta, brand new of course, my budget is around 700k to 730k. However, it's not really my dream car, because I really want to have an SUV.

Now, since SUVs are more expensive, should I just use the money as a downpayment for a second hand SUV (year 2005 model above?)? I'm thinking HONDA CR-V 2005 or 2006 that is just 500k or less (or more)

Do you think it's better to buy a second hand SUV than buying a brand new sedan?

Also, is it really better to have an suv that is 5 yrs older compared to a brand new sedan of the current year (2011)? WIll i still get a better performance from the 5yr old SUV, just because it's an SUV?

Please help me answer my questions. Thanks.!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Obvious difference would be the fuel consumption and interior space.

The SUV will guzzle fuel while giving you lots of space inside.

The City/Fiesta option would give you great fuel economy but much smaller interior space.

The question is what do you normally do with your car? Do you normally drive by yourself or do you have passengers? Highway or city driving? Do you carry much stuff with you?

Given the price of gas is really high and would probably stay there, you might want to reconsider your choice of car size. A smaller car would give you much better fuel economy which is good with the high gas prices we have now.

If you still really want your SUV, do you think you can afford to fill the fuel tank give this would consume fuel in the range of 5 to 8 km/L?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; May 16th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

3. Join Date
    May 2011
    Hey Ghosthunter, thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

I would be using the car to go to work everyday. I am in the boundary of Dasmarinas and Imus Cavite. From my house to the highway, it will take me 4-5minutes riding a jeep/tricycle (so you can just imagine that I'm near the highway). I work in Makati Buendia! So i plan to use the car for work. My neighbor told me (who also works in Makati and has a second hand honda civic), that she spent 250 pesos on gas (back and forth) everyday to get to work.

If i buy an SUV, will i be spending more than 250pesos per day? Is the consumption really that bad? I don't have plans of really putting a lot of people in my car, it's just going to be my MOM, DAD and my brother. That's it. And i plan to use it to go to work, and maybe to go out of town from time to time.

I really like an SUV, i really like big cars (my dream vehicle).

Do you think i should just stick into buying a brand new sedan car? Instead of buying a second hand SUV?

Thanks.

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    If I were to buy a used car, I wouldn't buy a car older than 2 years, which means it has to be an 09 model or newer. Sadly with 700k budget it would be hard to find a larger SUV (Everest, Montero, Altera, Fortuner and etc.) for that price. There is too much risk in buying older used cars, since majority of the major parts start to deteriorate at this time, which could end up costing you much more to maintain. If you want a bigger car and has roughly a 700k budget you can also try considering getting a pick-up truck. A 2 year old top of the line 4x2 or a brand new base model should be in the 700k range. Though they are diesel powered vehicles, they are not as fuel efficient as those smaller sedans. Our older Gen 1 everest averages around 5.5 km/L while my newer Ranger averages 10.5 km/L.

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    Ummm....ok.. how about the mistubishi strada pickup? I see that i can buy a cheaper version of it. do you think its good?

(im surprised that your gen 1 everest is that bad in consuming oil, do you even get to use it at all, coz you'll be wasting money there)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rattrapante View Post
    If I were to buy a used car, I wouldn't buy a car older than 2 years,
    kung 2 yr old car then I'd rather buy a brand new vehicle.

*TS, relatively ok pa naman mga '05-'06 na vehicles. of course depende sa owner. SUV ka na lang but if you'll go for a second hand car, I suggest bayaran mo ng buo and hinde na i-loan sa bank. lugi ka kung second hand tapos i loan mo pa.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    * TS, seraach ka sa internet sa ayosdito at suit for 2nd hans SUV. Since yan talaga gusto mo, I suggest you get a diesel not a gas SUV. Puwede din AUV para malaki rin, Crosswind na mga 3-4 years old pasok sa budget mo IMO. Tipid yan sa diesel.

Also, yung suggestion ni rattrapante puwede din, a 4x2 pick-up na crdi. Pasok yan sa 700k. Mga example below, puwede mo pa tawaran. YungXtrail good buy IMO. May budget ka pa for repairs if ever but ang baba ng odo eh, hopefully hindi na-ondoy. Better bring a mechanic in your visits sir.

http://www.ayosdito.ph/Ford+Ranger+2...07-1954589.htm

http://www.ayosdito.ph/Isuzu+Sportivo+AT+07-1954736.htm - ganda nito oh, tawaran mo!

http://www.ayosdito.ph/Nissan+X+Trail+AT+04-1954757.htm
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    Wow! Thanks sa mga reply! So do you guys really think that its ok to buy a 2005 or 2006 suv? I saw that some are selling at at 600k the most. I would probably pay 250k out of it and then will loan the remaining.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkoski View Post
    Wow! Thanks sa mga reply! So do you guys really think that its ok to buy a 2005 or 2006 suv? I saw that some are selling at at 600k the most. I would probably pay 250k out of it and then will loan the remaining.
    of course! but with any purchases you need to check it properly. I just don't agree in the mode of payment.

10. Join Date
    May 2011
    *shadow, eh hindi kase ako makakabili ng suv na brand new kahit iloan ko pa eh, di na kaya ng budget ko. max of 12500 a month for 5 years lang kaya ko.

Kaya naiisip ko, pag second hand na suv, makakabili ako.

Sa brand new kase, mga sedan lng mabibili ko eh.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Brand New Sedan VS Second hand SUV