New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hey guys. Planning to get either of these two crossovers. I'd like to know what you guys think.

1. Brand new Honda HRV 1.8E (middle variant)
    2. 2nd hand 2014 CR-V 2.4 S-X AWD (TOTL, 4th gen pre-facelift)

It will be replacing a 2007 3rd-gen CRV 2.4 S-X AWD. This CRV (<30k kms) will be passed on to the wife.

Test drove the HRV, but I haven't seen the CRV in person yet.
    Here's what I gathered so far:

HRV:
    1. Brand new, but 200-300k more expensive than the 2nd hand CRV
    2. Compared to the CRV (3rd gen), it's way down on power, and a downgrade from the CRV. But it will probably do for city driving.
    3. Headlights are reflector halogens. Not future-proof, and a big downgrade from the projector HIDs of the 3rd gen CRV.
    4. Interior space is a bit smaller, but pwede na.
    5. Overall feel, interior quality, and ride quality seems to be better on the 3rd gen CRV than the HRV.
    6. Not quite sure if it's worth replacing the CRV with this, especially considering the price.

4th gen CRV:
    1. Cheaper than the new HRV
    2. 15k odo, 2 years old
    3. HID headlamps, not a downgrade from the 3rd gen
    4. Power should be pretty similar to the older CRV
    5. Fuel consumption should naturally be higher, but no biggie.
    6. Tried and tested engine-transmission combination
    7. Push button start, reverse camera just like the HRV. No bluetooth hands-free, but can live without it.
    8. Seems like an upgrade from the older CRV.

What do you guys think? Siyempre iba pa rin ang brand new, pero parang downgrade kasi ang HRV. Are there other cars i should consider? Priority is reliability and hassle-free day-to-day driving.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I feel like you're leaning towards the CRV already hehe :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    CRV - bigger space, more power

The one you're looking is considerably low mileage for a 2 year old vehicle. Just make sure it has complete maintenance record.

By the way, only limiting your option between those 2 vehicles? Why not opt for a base trim Rav4, CX5, Xtrail, XV, or Forester?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I've driven both cars and I like the CR-V more.

The 2.4 S-X is a great all around car, good space, good power. Drove it from Manila
    to Laoag, it was a very comfortable and fun drive.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 2.4 is great, more power, much, much more space... and as a secondhand purchase that you are willing to sell within five years, okay. It's not a long term keeper after 100-150k kilometers, as you get niggling AC and steering rack issues that cost a lot to fix... aside from all the obvious suspension issues that come with owning a big crossover... but if you can live with that (and paint peel) the K24 engine should be good for 300-400,000 kilometers if properly maintained. Ours is over 200k already and doesn't drink oil... still on the 10,000 km interval.

The one problem is fuel consumption. On the highway, it's fine, but there's no getting around the 4-6 km/l fuel economy in traffic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    i'll never buy used over 1M. never

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    CRV - bigger space, more power

The one you're looking is considerably low mileage for a 2 year old vehicle. Just make sure it has complete maintenance record.

By the way, only limiting your option between those 2 vehicles? Why not opt for a base trim Rav4, CX5, Xtrail, XV, or Forester?
    Actually considering other options too, but of around the same price range lang. But number one priority is reliability talaga. After owning different brands including 5 hondas, and hearing experiences from friends, a honda or toyota might be the safest (but not so exciting) choice

Quote Originally Posted by glntVR View Post
    I've driven both cars and I like the CR-V more.

The 2.4 S-X is a great all around car, good space, good power. Drove it from Manila
    to Laoag, it was a very comfortable and fun drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The 2.4 is great, more power, much, much more space... and as a secondhand purchase that you are willing to sell within five years, okay. It's not a long term keeper after 100-150k kilometers, as you get niggling AC and steering rack issues that cost a lot to fix... aside from all the obvious suspension issues that come with owning a big crossover... but if you can live with that (and paint peel) the K24 engine should be good for 300-400,000 kilometers if properly maintained. Ours is over 200k already and doesn't drink oil... still on the 10,000 km interval.

The one problem is fuel consumption. On the highway, it's fine, but there's no getting around the 4-6 km/l fuel economy in traffic.
    Based on the experience with our 3rd gen 2.4, it really is a good car. Very roomy and powerul. Its such a joy to bring on long trips. Even with 6 people with luggage, overtaking is easy. I assume the 4th gen drives pretty similarly since it has the same engine and transmission. Our 3rd gen's fuel consumption isnt stellar, around 6km/l city with a light foot, but in 9 years, it has had no repairs apart from a failed aux fan, and a hose clamp that needed to be tightened. Thats it. Pretty solid car if you ask me.

When i took the HRV for a test drive, it felt like it could use more power. I dont know if the test drive unit was a bit uncared for, but the interior was a bit underwhelming. It was a bit tight, and the materials felt a bit cheaper. When we got back in our 9 year old CRV, the interior just felt better.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post
    Actually considering other options too, but of around the same price range lang. But number one priority is reliability talaga. After owning different brands including 5 hondas, and hearing experiences from friends, a honda or toyota might be the safest (but not so exciting) choice

Based on the experience with our 3rd gen 2.4, it really is a good car. Very roomy and powerul. Its such a joy to bring on long trips. Even with 6 people with luggage, overtaking is easy. I assume the 4th gen drives pretty similarly since it has the same engine and transmission. Our 3rd gen's fuel consumption isnt stellar, around 6km/l city with a light foot, but in 9 years, it has had no repairs apart from a failed aux fan, and a hose clamp that needed to be tightened. Thats it. Pretty solid car if you ask me.

When i took the HRV for a test drive, it felt like it could use more power. I dont know if the test drive unit was a bit uncared for, but the interior was a bit underwhelming. It was a bit tight, and the materials felt a bit cheaper. When we got back in our 9 year old CRV, the interior just felt better.
    The Rav4 is a Toyota and its base model is one of the cheaper CUVs in the market. It is not just as fitted with features like other base model CUVs. However, with a price like the HRV, it is something worth considering.

The CRV came to be the all-around middle ground of sorts of the CUVs. It's not as sporty as the CX5 or as rugged as the Forester but it offers decent space and ample performance. It's no wonder that it still sells well despite being the boring choice

Don't expect too much space from the HRV. Its platform is based off the Jazz but with a raised suspension. The engine is shared with the 1.8L Civic but it is not as light as the Civic so don't expect Civic performance. For around the same price, the Subaru XV is a better choice - higher ground clearance, more power, better drive.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Ipon kaya muna sir, and then brand new CRV nalang. Kung kaya mo mag 2nd hand ng CRV 4th gen, i would assume cash yan. Intay ka hanggang december pandagdag ng DP then MA instead of HRV naka all new CRV ka.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Around 100k+ lang ata difference ng HRV 1.8E sa CRV 2.0V. So it is not really a matter of price but a matter of preference unless there is a strict budget (like a company car plan or something).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast