New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    ^ other opinion, what is not great about the mazda mx5 is, it is small, kung sa bagay roadster kasi ito,

to the TS, mahirap mag-decide dito a,

yung GC kasi is sleek and sporty ang pagkaka-execute ng design while the Chevy Camaro is my twist ng classic with a macho sporty feel,

why don't you consider other choices such as Kia Forte Koup or a Nissan 350z, BTW is there a 350z selling at CEZ?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Badge snobbery in picking Chevy over Hyundai?

That's like saying Jollibee is more upmarket than Chowking. Does not compute.

I mean, I could understand if we were comparing Hyundai to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etcetera...

But Chevrolet... classier than Hyundai?

-

The Camaro does look nice, and amongst the retro-muscle designs, I think it manages to capture the essence of the old car without being panderingly retro (like the Challenger or the older Mustang)... but it's big, heavy and plasticky inside.

The Genesis Coupe's plastics aren't that great, but they're acceptable. Especially considering the V6 AT costs less than a V6 Camry and over a million pesos less than the Camaro... even with the Brembo brakes and the track pack. V6 to V6, it's faster, lighter and driving it doesn't feel like driving a machine-gun emplacement (the worst thing about US macho-styling? The view out sucks).

-

Of course, unless you have the Track Pack, the suspension is a bit too soft for serious hooning. Thus, I'd rather get an MX-5. Fast enough, terrific handling compared to those two behemoths, sleek looks, ***y convertible top... I mean, what girl can resist a topless car?
    you got my point... a chevrolet is "still" classier than a hyundai...
    the price gaps are not that far but "chevrolet" has more history than "hyundai"

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Tutal naman mahirap mag desisyon dahil parehong ok, daanin nalang natin sa itsura ng mag dadrive...Kung tisuyin ang itsura mo, mag Chevy ka, kung mukha kang asyano mag hyundai ka. Para kahit papano bumagay.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Tutal naman mahirap mag desisyon dahil parehong ok, daanin nalang natin sa itsura ng mag dadrive...Kung tisuyin ang itsura mo, mag Chevy ka, kung mukha kang asyano mag hyundai ka. Para kahit papano bumagay.
    hehe, tignan natin reaction ni TS if agreeable siya.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    TS: Post some pics naman :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyLover View Post
    you got my point... a chevrolet is "still" classier than a hyundai...
    Not really, no. Chevrolet has never been a "classy" brand. Sure, they've always had The American Supercar, the Corvette, but I grew up in a Chevrolet family... we used to have a Camaro, then a Caprice, then the Chevy/Opel Monza.

And honestly, while the Camaro was nice, Chevrolet's regular car offerings over the years have been a mixed bag. The Monza was a piece of garbage, and I actually liked the Ford Laser we replaced it with more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyLover View Post
    the price gaps are not that far but "chevrolet" has more history than "hyundai"
    History? Chevrolet is known in America for crappy interiors, poor build quality and terrible reliability. Mention the words "Chevrolet" and "compact" together and you get groans. The only thing worse than the Chevy Cavalier was the Pontiac Sunfire, and Pontiac is also a GM division. At least now, the only dingus left in the line-up is the Aveo (soon to be replaced by the Sonic), but Chevrolet has never been an upmarket or aspirational brand, unless you're a flag-waving American redneck.

Hyundai's cars twenty years ago were garbage... but so were Chevrolet's. Chevrolet's cars nowadays are 100% better than before, but Hyundai's are 200% better than before and about 25% better than Chevy's (except in the Cruze-Elantra war... I'd call that a tie). So no, there's no real reason to buy a Chevrolet over a Hyundai if you're looking for badge-appeal.

If anything, Chev-woo's (Chevrolet-Daewoo, since most of the mass market cars are Daewoo sourced) "history" is its biggest weakness here in the Philippines. Too many people remember such "hits" as the Chevrolet Venture (you should read that thread... epic!) and the the Daewoo Espero. Question: What costs less secondhand than a ten-year-old Espero? Answer: A Cornetto!

Issues with quality, engineering, marketing and management were what brought GM down during Carmageddon. That's why I think it was the right move to reinvent Chevrolet locally under a new management team (TCCCI), to break ties with the old and try to assure people that GM-Chevrolet's history won't be its future.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'll back niky on the MX5. If you're looking for sporty cars and stay in a city driving environment most of the time, I'd get the zoom-zoom over more handsome picks. There's a reason why it's America's best-selling sports car, heck I still remember starting out my Gran Turismo days with it as my trusty starting car (and then later pile up money to buy an R34 then turbocharge that to 800HP)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A question for those choosing the CHEVY CAMARO, ... have you spent enough time inside one enough to touch the interiors with your own hands? It's pretty much like the experience of driving the Chrysler 300C, looks great outside, all crap inside.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    .... Thus, I'd rather get an MX-5. Fast enough, terrific handling compared to those two behemoths, sleek looks, ***y convertible top... I mean, what girl can resist a topless car?

The Mazda MX-5 is such a small car. Anyone who is over 5'6" would have his head sticking through the roof. When I test drove the current MX5, I had to crouch down when I had the folding roof up. And when I had the roof down and seated properly, my 5'8" height resulted with the windshield's very thick top edge to bisect the middle of my forward vision.

Beyond my interior seating problems, the MX5 is a great drive for a sports car. Great acceleration feel, handles well and looks cool to girls. The convertible folding hard top is ***y especially when you can take it on out of town trips to less polluted places on the island. Very few cars under the P2M price tag can have the same appeal of this car. (Well, the Genesis Coupe is one...)
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 18th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There you go! It's just as good as a more expensive sports car! Because that's exactly how I feel at the wheel of a Z4.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Better Looking Coupe