New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Fellow Tsikoters,
    Need your input as to which is a better buy? A Subaru Forester 2.0iL or Toyota RAV4 both units base model variant since my budget is only around 1.3 mil.

My priorities are:
    - Comfort
    - Cost to maintain
    - Reliability

My secondary needs:
    - Good looks
    - Safety

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxDogie View Post
    Fellow Tsikoters,
    Need your input as to which is a better buy? A Subaru Forester 2.0iL or Toyota RAV4 both units base model variant since my budget is only around 1.3 mil.

My priorities are:
    - Comfort
    - Cost to maintain
    - Reliability

My secondary needs:
    - Good looks
    - Safety

*In before people coming in spouting stuff about Toyotas being cheaper to maintain because they've never owned a Toyota more expensive than a 4AFE-equipped Corolla... ...and have thus never known the horror of fruitlessly searching for parts for a 2.2 Camry outside of Banawe...

- Comfort - I'd give it to the RAV4, slightly, for ride, but the new Fozzie is pretty spacious, and easy to see out of because of the slim A-pillars and upright windshield.
    - Cost to maintain - Within the warranty period, similar, except note that Subaru spark plug changes cost more, due to the difficulty of changing plugs on a boxer engine with the spark plug wells facing the wheels.
    - Reliability - Nobody knows yet.

- Good looks - Both look great.
    - Safety - Consider the Forester is the only truck to ace the new corner impact test in the US, so far. Big plus. X-mode is also pretty good for some mild off-roading, and water-fording depth is pretty good. The RAV4, like the CR-V, has the air intake snorkel down low.

As a comparison:

The big piece of plastic over the grille is the air intake.

The air intake snorkel is hidden somewhere behind and below the headlight.

Of course, even with our ridiculously low air-intake on the CR-V, we've never drowned the car, but it's something you have to keep in mind when crossing flooded streets.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    *In before people coming in spouting stuff about Toyotas being cheaper to maintain because they've never owned a Toyota more expensive than a 4AFE-equipped Corolla... ...and have thus never known the horror of fruitlessly searching for parts for a 2.2 Camry outside of Banawe...

- Comfort - I'd give it to the RAV4, slightly, for ride, but the new Fozzie is pretty spacious, and easy to see out of because of the slim A-pillars and upright windshield.
    - Cost to maintain - Within the warranty period, similar, except note that Subaru spark plug changes cost more, due to the difficulty of changing plugs on a boxer engine with the spark plug wells facing the wheels.
    - Reliability - Nobody knows yet.

- Good looks - Both look great.
    - Safety - Consider the Forester is the only truck to ace the new corner impact test in the US, so far. Big plus. X-mode is also pretty good for some mild off-roading, and water-fording depth is pretty good. The RAV4, like the CR-V, has the air intake snorkel down low.

As a comparison:

The big piece of plastic over the grille is the air intake.

The air intake snorkel is hidden somewhere behind and below the headlight.

Of course, even with our ridiculously low air-intake on the CR-V, we've never drowned the car, but it's something you have to keep in mind when crossing flooded streets.
    Tenks Niky for this helpful insights.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Well you cant really add anything else to what niky said. When niky replies to car comparisons might as well lock the thread after that. :bwahaha: He has the most accurate and informative reply, unlike most replies which are based on nothing and usually biased on the car they have/like.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxDogie View Post
    Fellow Tsikoters,

My priorities are:
    - Comfort - better ang RAV4 ng konti lang - based on test drives
    - Cost to maintain - RAV4 less expensive - P500-1k PHP - based on friends' PMSs
    - Reliability - same siguro

My secondary needs:
    - Good looks - for me RAV4
    - Safety - same lang yan

So for me is RAV4 kasi mas convinient sa toyota dahil mas maraming dealership and can give slightly better discount.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Densker View Post
    RAV4 less expensive - P500-1k PHP - based on friends' PMSs
    500-1k less, you mean?

Because it can't be 500-1000 Php per oil change... ...kulang yan sa langis.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    *I

Nothing is safe with a stupid driver..

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Looks-wise, I prefer the Rav-4 (though still not by much). I find the previous-gen Forester's looks more agreeable than the current one. I suppose if you're after good handling and off road performance then go for the Forester. If you want a wider dealer network and a more powerful engine, then the Rav4 it is.

Don't like the Sportage CRDi? Its also within your budget. I'm sure it'll put a bigger smile on your face.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Looks-wise, I prefer the Rav-4 (though still not by much). I find the previous-gen Forester's looks more agreeable than the current one. I suppose if you're after good handling and off road performance then go for the Forester. If you want a wider dealer network and a more powerful engine, then the Rav4 it is.

Don't like the Sportage CRDi? Its also within your budget. I'm sure it'll put a bigger smile on your face.
    I 100% agree! to this....

Sportage take a look at this small suv

Which is better buy Subaru Forester 2.0iL or Toyota RAV4?